Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

emotional breakdown

Posted by fellow long-term sufferer on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008772)

Hi all,

I've been posting at this site for about one year. I just spent 20 grand on a masters degree (graduated last May) and started work in my new profession in June. I've been using a scooter at work. However, my job requires numerous short walks during the day. Even though I use the scooter for the long hauls my foot pain has been getting worse and worse to the point that I can hardly walk at all now. I blew a fuse last night and almost committed a rask act. Looks like I'm going to have to chuck my profession for the short-term and get some kind of desk job till my feet get better. Am scheduled for Ossatron tx. in Aug. Hope it works.

Thanks all. Just needed to vent. you are the only ones who can relate to my anguish.

Re: emotional breakdown

Michele on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008773)

I am new to this site. Posted my first message last night. I know exactly what you are feeling and can deffinitely relate. I am a nurse in a very busy clinic. My job is 85% on my feet. I have been off work now for 2 months (my 4th disability leave in less than 2 yrs.) I too am considering giving up my career. I am thinking about becoming one of our receptionists so I can sit more than stand. I hate to think I may have to do this. I can so relate to your words 'emotional breakdown'. I feel the same way. In fact I am typing this with tears in my eyes. I had my first acupuncture trtmt. yesterday. I am hoping to get relief. I am at my wits end. What is Ossatron ??? I wish you the best.

Audrey on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008774)

I feel your pain & frustration, I have recently landed an excellent job which I love, however, even sitting at a desk for the most part is still painful. I have just been diagnosed with PF (2 weeks ago) and am having difficulty coping emotionally. I watched my Mother become a cripple with arthritis which started in her feet & I made my mind up I would not go the same route. Looks like the choice is not mine! My husband is also having a hard time accepting this, he can't begin to imagine the pain I am in, we were always such an active family. I'm so relieved I found this site. I'm also heading for an emotional breakdown, any suggestions please?

Martha B on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008781)

Come on ladies -keep your chin up-go back and read all the old messages and get informed and get busy.Don't kid yourself I get down occasionally but that doesn't help.I am in the dental field and have had to make major adjustments in my job.Reading this message board makes me realize that there are many worse than I am.I have sent my records to see if I qualify for Ossatron and am anxiously awaiting the review.READ READ READ THE MESSAGE BOARD AND GET MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN you ever could from your doctor.GOD BLESSand best of best to you both. Martha

Laura on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008789)

I agree with Martha B. You must educate yourselves. Please check out the AOFAS.org site. It's the Association of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons. There's a ton of info there.

You can do it! Take care of yourselves.

Laura

fellow long-term sufferer on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008802)

Hi Michelle,

We have something in common. I also work in the medical field. I'm a social worker on the Med/Surg Unit in an enormous hospital. I too am going to see if my boss can find me a desk job. Drag. Anyway, Ossatron is a machine that is used for delivery of extracorporeal shock wave therapy to sites in the body for breakup of calcification and scar tissue. It based on the same principal as shock wave treatment for breakup of kidney stones. Unfortunately, its not approved for use of PF in the US, but you can go to Toronto, Canada to get it. I'm scheduled for treatment there in August. I can't wait.

Take care and rest your feet as much as possible.

John on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008845)

people can and do get better audrey. hang tough! at the health club i go to there is a young 14 year old boy who has lost both legs. he comes to the club with his buddies nearly every day and plays basketball, lifts weights,etc. he always has a smile on his face. he moves in and out of the wheel chair better than i can get out of a chair. if he can cope like that then i will surely find a way out of my foot problems.

Jane on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008866)

I too am in the health field. I am a physical therapist and have given up my profession due to my pain. I finally decided I had to do something, so I am back in school to become a computer programmer. A desk job! I really miss being a therapist but I am trying to think positive about my future and what is best for me and my feet.
FYI- There are psychologists out there that specialize in treating athletes that are unable to perform there sport due to injury etc. I am not an athlete but I was referred to one for my PF, actually I requested it because my PF was really getting to me. I have also been referred to a school for podiatric medicine. This might be an option for those who have seen every doctor under the sun. They are supposed to have the best Doctors at the schools. Has anyone tried going to one?

Connie on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008874)

Please let me know how this works!

Ken on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008933)

I've only been putting up with PF for a little under a year but I get depressed, angry, frustrated and embarrassed (sometimes in the same minute!) I yell at my wife and hobble around and feel like a 100 year old man after sitting for a while watching TV. I'm doing all the supposed right things but some days I just walk through the pain almost to torture myself. I feel I should punish myself somehow. I don't like chronic pain.

The only solace I have for you is that you're not alone by far. My boss admitted the other day that he has PF and we started trading insights and websites. One interesting fact. We just came back from vacation walking arouns many trails at 5 National Parks out west as well as schlepping around Las Vegas and Hoover Dam. My feet were killing me some days/hours/minutes BUT....for the last week or two after the trip I've had some of the best pain free days ever. I don't know if it's the obvious stretching or what but it is/was heaven.

Be well. Let's talk it out.

Michele on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008773)

I am new to this site. Posted my first message last night. I know exactly what you are feeling and can deffinitely relate. I am a nurse in a very busy clinic. My job is 85% on my feet. I have been off work now for 2 months (my 4th disability leave in less than 2 yrs.) I too am considering giving up my career. I am thinking about becoming one of our receptionists so I can sit more than stand. I hate to think I may have to do this. I can so relate to your words 'emotional breakdown'. I feel the same way. In fact I am typing this with tears in my eyes. I had my first acupuncture trtmt. yesterday. I am hoping to get relief. I am at my wits end. What is Ossatron ??? I wish you the best.

Audrey on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008774)

I feel your pain & frustration, I have recently landed an excellent job which I love, however, even sitting at a desk for the most part is still painful. I have just been diagnosed with PF (2 weeks ago) and am having difficulty coping emotionally. I watched my Mother become a cripple with arthritis which started in her feet & I made my mind up I would not go the same route. Looks like the choice is not mine! My husband is also having a hard time accepting this, he can't begin to imagine the pain I am in, we were always such an active family. I'm so relieved I found this site. I'm also heading for an emotional breakdown, any suggestions please?

Martha B on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008781)

Come on ladies -keep your chin up-go back and read all the old messages and get informed and get busy.Don't kid yourself I get down occasionally but that doesn't help.I am in the dental field and have had to make major adjustments in my job.Reading this message board makes me realize that there are many worse than I am.I have sent my records to see if I qualify for Ossatron and am anxiously awaiting the review.READ READ READ THE MESSAGE BOARD AND GET MORE KNOWLEDGE THAN you ever could from your doctor.GOD BLESSand best of best to you both. Martha

Laura on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008789)

I agree with Martha B. You must educate yourselves. Please check out the AOFAS.org site. It's the Association of Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeons. There's a ton of info there.

You can do it! Take care of yourselves.

Laura

fellow long-term sufferer on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008802)

Hi Michelle,

We have something in common. I also work in the medical field. I'm a social worker on the Med/Surg Unit in an enormous hospital. I too am going to see if my boss can find me a desk job. Drag. Anyway, Ossatron is a machine that is used for delivery of extracorporeal shock wave therapy to sites in the body for breakup of calcification and scar tissue. It based on the same principal as shock wave treatment for breakup of kidney stones. Unfortunately, its not approved for use of PF in the US, but you can go to Toronto, Canada to get it. I'm scheduled for treatment there in August. I can't wait.

Take care and rest your feet as much as possible.

John on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008845)

people can and do get better audrey. hang tough! at the health club i go to there is a young 14 year old boy who has lost both legs. he comes to the club with his buddies nearly every day and plays basketball, lifts weights,etc. he always has a smile on his face. he moves in and out of the wheel chair better than i can get out of a chair. if he can cope like that then i will surely find a way out of my foot problems.

Jane on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008866)

I too am in the health field. I am a physical therapist and have given up my profession due to my pain. I finally decided I had to do something, so I am back in school to become a computer programmer. A desk job! I really miss being a therapist but I am trying to think positive about my future and what is best for me and my feet.
FYI- There are psychologists out there that specialize in treating athletes that are unable to perform there sport due to injury etc. I am not an athlete but I was referred to one for my PF, actually I requested it because my PF was really getting to me. I have also been referred to a school for podiatric medicine. This might be an option for those who have seen every doctor under the sun. They are supposed to have the best Doctors at the schools. Has anyone tried going to one?

Connie on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008874)

Please let me know how this works!

Ken on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008933)

I've only been putting up with PF for a little under a year but I get depressed, angry, frustrated and embarrassed (sometimes in the same minute!) I yell at my wife and hobble around and feel like a 100 year old man after sitting for a while watching TV. I'm doing all the supposed right things but some days I just walk through the pain almost to torture myself. I feel I should punish myself somehow. I don't like chronic pain.

The only solace I have for you is that you're not alone by far. My boss admitted the other day that he has PF and we started trading insights and websites. One interesting fact. We just came back from vacation walking arouns many trails at 5 National Parks out west as well as schlepping around Las Vegas and Hoover Dam. My feet were killing me some days/hours/minutes BUT....for the last week or two after the trip I've had some of the best pain free days ever. I don't know if it's the obvious stretching or what but it is/was heaven.

Be well. Let's talk it out.