Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Acupuncture Questions

Posted by Melanie on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008782)

I have read a lot of information about acupunture in previous postings. I would like to give it a try. Does anyone have any information for me as far as what to look for in an acupuncturist before I get it done?? Any particular schooling I should look for? I don't want to make a bad choice. also, Can you tell me around how much it costs? How often you need to go? Does it hurt? I need the scoop. Thanks!!

Re: Acupuncture in western Ma.

Rosalind on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005125)

The person who I go to and has the best reputation that I know of in Mass. is Johnathan Klate of the Acupuncture Center of Amherst, 413-253-9558. There is usually a wait to get in.

Diane F. on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005135)

Thanks will look into it. Was hoping for a little closer, live in springfield, but will give them a call. Thanks again!

Rosalind on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005137)

Maybe he could recommend someone in the Springfield area who he has confidence in. I agree it is really important to get someone who is good. I don't think it is a quick cure, esp. if you have had the problem for a long time. But if you have blockages up to your hip, it could help release them. If you have inflammation there, have you tried icing your hip area? Good luck

Re: Acupuncture gave me temporary relief, not permanent

Shaira on 8/31/98 at 09:54 (001517)

I tried acupuncture but it only gave me temp. relief. As soon as I walked home from my appointment I was back in pain again.

Re: Acupuncture Questions

Michele P. on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008794)

I had my first acupuncture treatment yesterday, 7/16/99. His name was given to me by 3 other people I know who have had succes with his treatments. None of them have pf though. The treatment itself was not painful. But there were a few insertion sites that were VERY uncomfortable, while other sites I did not feel at all. The bottoms of both my feet were very sore last night and this morning (more than usual). I also have been feeling an ache on my outer right calve all day. My acupuncturist suggests that I do 1 reflexology massage and 1 acupuncture treatment each week ( on separate days, alternating them). I believe that the amount of treatments weekly will vary upon each persons severity. My treatment was $40 for 30 minutes. I wish you luck, and hope that some of this information helps.
I am hoping these treatments help.

Bea on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008798)

If you have hospitalization , it might be covered. Medicare will pay some towardit.

john on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008971)

i think most states require a state certification to practice acupunture. some physicians are now performing acupuncture. I would tend to search one out. I tried on time with a lady who i have litte confidence in that she knew what she was doing.

Rosalind on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005125)

The person who I go to and has the best reputation that I know of in Mass. is Johnathan Klate of the Acupuncture Center of Amherst, 413-253-9558. There is usually a wait to get in.

Diane F. on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005135)

Thanks will look into it. Was hoping for a little closer, live in springfield, but will give them a call. Thanks again!

Rosalind on 2/28/99 at 00:00 (005137)

Maybe he could recommend someone in the Springfield area who he has confidence in. I agree it is really important to get someone who is good. I don't think it is a quick cure, esp. if you have had the problem for a long time. But if you have blockages up to your hip, it could help release them. If you have inflammation there, have you tried icing your hip area? Good luck

Michele P. on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008794)

I had my first acupuncture treatment yesterday, 7/16/99. His name was given to me by 3 other people I know who have had succes with his treatments. None of them have pf though. The treatment itself was not painful. But there were a few insertion sites that were VERY uncomfortable, while other sites I did not feel at all. The bottoms of both my feet were very sore last night and this morning (more than usual). I also have been feeling an ache on my outer right calve all day. My acupuncturist suggests that I do 1 reflexology massage and 1 acupuncture treatment each week ( on separate days, alternating them). I believe that the amount of treatments weekly will vary upon each persons severity. My treatment was $40 for 30 minutes. I wish you luck, and hope that some of this information helps.
I am hoping these treatments help.

Bea on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008798)

If you have hospitalization , it might be covered. Medicare will pay some towardit.

john on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008971)

i think most states require a state certification to practice acupunture. some physicians are now performing acupuncture. I would tend to search one out. I tried on time with a lady who i have litte confidence in that she knew what she was doing.