Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sharp/Burning Pain in Back of the Heel?

Posted by Jodi on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008787)

Does anyone ever have any pains (sharp and almost burning sensation) that shoot up the back of your heel? I can be just sitting on the couch and all of a sudden for no apparent reason get this sharp burning sensation on the back of my heel. This only happens with my left heel (I don't have PF in my right heel). Thanks.

Re: Sharp/Burning Pain in Back of the Heel?

Laura on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008791)

Jodi,
Yes, I have those sensations, too. Mostly if I go barefoot at all. Try to ice your heel - it may help.
Laura

Denise on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008796)

YES, specially if I have been on my feet alot, (10-12 hours at work),
icing helps some. Also when that happens, my heels are so tender you can't touch them without pain. I walk so differently now since I have the PF, my legs and ankles ache, and swell. Nothing seems to help except not being on them. 1 pain free day would be an answer to a prayer... Sorry all for unloading.

Jodi on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008820)

Your comment about your ankles hurting is the first I've read. My ankle hurts so bad sometimes I can't tell which pain is worse, my ankle or my heel. I recently bought some Birks (they have helped enormously) and I have noticed that if I even walk around the house for a short time without them, I will pay for it the next day. I'm sorry you have the same pains as I do, but it helps hearing that I am not the only one. I was beginning to think I was loosing it. Thanks

Jodi on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008822)

Thanks Laura. Do you have any ankle pain as well? Just wondering if maybe these go hand in hand.

Laura on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008833)

Jodi,
No, I don't have any ankle pain. I would think the icing would help that, too. Good luck!
Laura

Karen on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008836)

Jodi,
It seems I've been asking forever if I'm the only one with ankle pain.
It feels as if a vise is around my ankle. I've been thinking I have more pain from achilles tendonitis than pf. What do you think?
Karen

Jodi on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008862)

Karen,
I'm not familiar with achilles tendonitis, so I'm not sure if the pain is more from that than pf. I don't have the ankle pain all the time, but when I do it feels like a really bad sprained ankle and it's almost impossible to put any weight on it (especially when combined with the heel pain). I had ankle surgery twice when I was 14 (to put a pin in and then again to take it out) so I wasn't sure if I should chalk the pain up to a weak ankle or the pf. All of this combined with the sharp/burning pain that shoots up the back of my heel and I feel as if I will loose my mind. I can't stand not being able to do all the things that I used to do! Do you have the burning sensation in your heel as well? (Sorry this go so long!)

Irene on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008907)

Hi, I had *exactly* what you describe, except I needed warmth not ice for relief.... Fixed now. And I thought I was unique with that sharp burning when touched - and the rod of pain going up. Good luck with yours!...Irene ((email removed))

Laura on 7/17/99 at 00:00 (008791)

Jodi,
Yes, I have those sensations, too. Mostly if I go barefoot at all. Try to ice your heel - it may help.
Laura

Denise on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008796)

YES, specially if I have been on my feet alot, (10-12 hours at work),
icing helps some. Also when that happens, my heels are so tender you can't touch them without pain. I walk so differently now since I have the PF, my legs and ankles ache, and swell. Nothing seems to help except not being on them. 1 pain free day would be an answer to a prayer... Sorry all for unloading.

Jodi on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008820)

Your comment about your ankles hurting is the first I've read. My ankle hurts so bad sometimes I can't tell which pain is worse, my ankle or my heel. I recently bought some Birks (they have helped enormously) and I have noticed that if I even walk around the house for a short time without them, I will pay for it the next day. I'm sorry you have the same pains as I do, but it helps hearing that I am not the only one. I was beginning to think I was loosing it. Thanks

Jodi on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008822)

Thanks Laura. Do you have any ankle pain as well? Just wondering if maybe these go hand in hand.

Laura on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008833)

Jodi,
No, I don't have any ankle pain. I would think the icing would help that, too. Good luck!
Laura

Karen on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008836)

Jodi,
It seems I've been asking forever if I'm the only one with ankle pain.
It feels as if a vise is around my ankle. I've been thinking I have more pain from achilles tendonitis than pf. What do you think?
Karen

Jodi on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008862)

Karen,
I'm not familiar with achilles tendonitis, so I'm not sure if the pain is more from that than pf. I don't have the ankle pain all the time, but when I do it feels like a really bad sprained ankle and it's almost impossible to put any weight on it (especially when combined with the heel pain). I had ankle surgery twice when I was 14 (to put a pin in and then again to take it out) so I wasn't sure if I should chalk the pain up to a weak ankle or the pf. All of this combined with the sharp/burning pain that shoots up the back of my heel and I feel as if I will loose my mind. I can't stand not being able to do all the things that I used to do! Do you have the burning sensation in your heel as well? (Sorry this go so long!)

Irene on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008907)

Hi, I had *exactly* what you describe, except I needed warmth not ice for relief.... Fixed now. And I thought I was unique with that sharp burning when touched - and the rod of pain going up. Good luck with yours!...Irene ((email removed))