Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain

Posted by Sue Watson on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008801)

I have been dealing with heel pain for almost two years. I also dealt with breast cancer this past October and after a lumpectomy and radiation put that on the run. But the heel pain is still there. From the moment I get up till the moment I lay down at night. I know this is nothing new to some of you. Maybe I just need to vent. I'm sick of it!!! I have always been an active person and this condition has totally wreaked havoc. I have tried exercises, ice, rest, stretching, cortisone injecions (temp. relief), orthotics and it just got worse. I insisted on more x-rays and sure enough the condition had gone from plantar faciitis to and obvious heel spur on the right foot. I am very hesitant to have surgery as the orthopedic Dr suggested because it has also flared up in my left foot. In addition I have a bursitis inflamation in the left elbow that hasn't cleared up after more than six months. So I am seriously concerned there may be something systemic going awry here. Several years ago I had acupuncture treatments for osteo-arthritis in my wrists. Although they were never totally pain free I did have good success with the needles. I only wish that I had now gone right back to acupuncture two years ago. I have begun treatment at Bastyr University a naturopathic and acupuncture school here in the Seattle area at their student clinic. On Monday I will be seeing an herbalist also. I will beat this!!! Thanks for the shoulders :-)

Re: Heel pain

Judy on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008803)

Wow...Sue you have been through a awful lot! Try to hang in there..you have to really believe that things will get better..thats what keeps us going!!! I have one question..you mentioned that you had Plantar Faciitis first and then your doctor told you that a heel spur had formed. My doctor told me that many people have heel spurs first and never know it as it doesn't cause them any problems. The Plantar Faciitis may or may not come later. Can you have Plantar Facittis without having a heel spur? Now I am really confused. Let us know how your treatments are going and keep the faith...you WILL beat this!!

Judy

Roberta on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008805)

I think going to see a natropath and herbalist is the best thing you can do. I am beginning to feel strongly that chronic pain is largely a result of you're body's inability (due to toxins, mineral/vitamin defincencies, and allergies) to focus on your injury. Obviously you have quite a few things going on in your body. I have recently been doing a detox program and have eliminated a bunch of things from my diet and my foot is getting stronger and stronger. Good luck.

joan on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008824)

As far as food toxins, etc., I AGREE!!! About three weeks ago I began to eat very healthily--lots of fruits/veggies, low fat, whole grains, etc. etc. This weekend, I had a paint party at my house and my mom came with brownies, chocolate bars, etc. and I treated everyone to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet near here. I didn't go as crazy as I would have in the past but I did get a bit gluttonous and scarf down all sorts of not really healthy stuff. Guess what? My whole body has been aching for the past two days! Now I am sure that some of the foot pain was the result of the extra stresses of climbing the ladder to paint (I did wear my inserts, but still this was a bit more than I usually do where my foot is concerned), but I think in LARGE PART, my body was reacting to all the crap I put into it. My knees ached, my shoulder tendonitis was all achy, my back hurt, etc. I was also lethargic today. The painting was not THAT strenuous. I am a true convert to healthy eating now. I really do believe that any condition the body has to deal with can only be helped by really getting the diet in order. And in this frustrating world of plantar fasciitis where many times things are a bit beyond our control, the eating is so do-able.
One more thing....when I first started to eat better, my mind and body were like---'hey--i will MISS my junk food!' but after two days, I actually started to feel like veggie slices for a snack. Good luck to all in treating their feet! :o)

Sue on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008825)

Thanks for the input Joan. I don't know why it took me so long to wake up!! Sue

Sue on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008826)

Thanks Roberta. I really appreciate the encouragement. I believe you are right about diet and the effects on your body accordingly. I think for once I'm one the right track with this pf and other probs. Good luck to you also. Sue

joan on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008835)

you are not alone, sue. i think it is human nature to string ourselves along down the paths of least resistance until we have change and good habits almost forced on us. but it is good to know that change can occur at any time and help us get better. good luck.

john on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008841)

sue: sounds like you are going thru the mill. wish i could send you some good advice. your problems make my pf or nerve entrapment seem small.good luck.

John on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008842)

probably, 50% of pf do not exhibit a heel spur.

Connie on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008880)

My doctor said that the heel spur are calcium deposits that form because of the constant inflamations due to the plantar faciitis. I'm not sure if that's the right info or not. This message board is new to me and has been both a blessing and a downer. I've been hobbling along with this problem for six + years and have tried everything. Now I find that there are so many others experiencing the same thing that it's hard to think there'll be relief. I was reading the doctor's chat room messages and became very angry when I read someone's flip response of a typical PF patient. An overweight 54 year-old grandmother who's taken her grandchildren to Disney World. I am 54, overweight--thanks to the constraints of PF--and have a new granddaughter who is lucky to be taken for a walk in her stroller by her grandmother! How can the professionals joke about this?

Roberta on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008888)

It is so hard not to eat junk. Everywhere you go everyone offers you crap and then looks at you like you are crazy when you decline. Every meeting at work, every party/social function....... And if you give up wheat, well you better be sure to carry food with you, because if you get hungry, good luck finding a snack. But you know what, in the long run it is worth it. My foot feels great. I actually did yoga yesterday!!!!

Good luck!!

joan on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008896)

i know how hard it is to give up crappy food (which tastes SO good). i have developed several tricks throughtrial and erro (much error!) that seem to work for me. one is that i am emotionally attached to food, and i know it. so i try to substitute the EATING experience with the SHOPPING experience--i will go to the grocery store several times a week and buy my meals each time i go, looking for healthy ones. this is not always time efficient, but i figure neither is sitting for 10 minutes in the drive-through. anyway, something about picking out a piece of salmon steak, buying a vegetable, and then searching for an allowable treat (a la the frozen lowfat yogurt aisle) helps to beat the immediacy of the 'stuff-my-face' urge. another trick is to vary the new healthy things i eat--i'll go to the health food store and buy single portion sizes of new treats and give myself one to take in the car with me each day. psychologically i am tricking myself by letting the newness become the attractive factor (instead of the fat and salt of the old junk). and what is wrong with that, since it helps me to eat better? the other important thing is to find good substitutes for junk i already like. for instance, there is a brand of cheese doodles called Bearitos (in the health food store) which only has 5 grams of fat in a two cup serving. and it's made with organic corn, etc. that might sound high for fat grams to gung-ho dieters but for me, if it keeps me on the generally healthy straight and narrow, then it's worth it. i find if i try to get too esoteric and get tofu and lots of other stuff i have never heard of, my compliance to this kind of eating goes right down the drain. and i waste a lot of money. anyway, this has been long but these tricks are keeping me generally healthy right now. and i DO slip up but i allow for that because i'm human. and that's fine too. good luck.

Judy on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008803)

Wow...Sue you have been through a awful lot! Try to hang in there..you have to really believe that things will get better..thats what keeps us going!!! I have one question..you mentioned that you had Plantar Faciitis first and then your doctor told you that a heel spur had formed. My doctor told me that many people have heel spurs first and never know it as it doesn't cause them any problems. The Plantar Faciitis may or may not come later. Can you have Plantar Facittis without having a heel spur? Now I am really confused. Let us know how your treatments are going and keep the faith...you WILL beat this!!

Judy

Roberta on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008805)

I think going to see a natropath and herbalist is the best thing you can do. I am beginning to feel strongly that chronic pain is largely a result of you're body's inability (due to toxins, mineral/vitamin defincencies, and allergies) to focus on your injury. Obviously you have quite a few things going on in your body. I have recently been doing a detox program and have eliminated a bunch of things from my diet and my foot is getting stronger and stronger. Good luck.

joan on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008824)

As far as food toxins, etc., I AGREE!!! About three weeks ago I began to eat very healthily--lots of fruits/veggies, low fat, whole grains, etc. etc. This weekend, I had a paint party at my house and my mom came with brownies, chocolate bars, etc. and I treated everyone to an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet near here. I didn't go as crazy as I would have in the past but I did get a bit gluttonous and scarf down all sorts of not really healthy stuff. Guess what? My whole body has been aching for the past two days! Now I am sure that some of the foot pain was the result of the extra stresses of climbing the ladder to paint (I did wear my inserts, but still this was a bit more than I usually do where my foot is concerned), but I think in LARGE PART, my body was reacting to all the crap I put into it. My knees ached, my shoulder tendonitis was all achy, my back hurt, etc. I was also lethargic today. The painting was not THAT strenuous. I am a true convert to healthy eating now. I really do believe that any condition the body has to deal with can only be helped by really getting the diet in order. And in this frustrating world of plantar fasciitis where many times things are a bit beyond our control, the eating is so do-able.
One more thing....when I first started to eat better, my mind and body were like---'hey--i will MISS my junk food!' but after two days, I actually started to feel like veggie slices for a snack. Good luck to all in treating their feet! :o)

Sue on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008825)

Thanks for the input Joan. I don't know why it took me so long to wake up!! Sue

Sue on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008826)

Thanks Roberta. I really appreciate the encouragement. I believe you are right about diet and the effects on your body accordingly. I think for once I'm one the right track with this pf and other probs. Good luck to you also. Sue

joan on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008835)

you are not alone, sue. i think it is human nature to string ourselves along down the paths of least resistance until we have change and good habits almost forced on us. but it is good to know that change can occur at any time and help us get better. good luck.

john on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008841)

sue: sounds like you are going thru the mill. wish i could send you some good advice. your problems make my pf or nerve entrapment seem small.good luck.

John on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008842)

probably, 50% of pf do not exhibit a heel spur.

Connie on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008880)

My doctor said that the heel spur are calcium deposits that form because of the constant inflamations due to the plantar faciitis. I'm not sure if that's the right info or not. This message board is new to me and has been both a blessing and a downer. I've been hobbling along with this problem for six + years and have tried everything. Now I find that there are so many others experiencing the same thing that it's hard to think there'll be relief. I was reading the doctor's chat room messages and became very angry when I read someone's flip response of a typical PF patient. An overweight 54 year-old grandmother who's taken her grandchildren to Disney World. I am 54, overweight--thanks to the constraints of PF--and have a new granddaughter who is lucky to be taken for a walk in her stroller by her grandmother! How can the professionals joke about this?

Roberta on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008888)

It is so hard not to eat junk. Everywhere you go everyone offers you crap and then looks at you like you are crazy when you decline. Every meeting at work, every party/social function....... And if you give up wheat, well you better be sure to carry food with you, because if you get hungry, good luck finding a snack. But you know what, in the long run it is worth it. My foot feels great. I actually did yoga yesterday!!!!

Good luck!!

joan on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008896)

i know how hard it is to give up crappy food (which tastes SO good). i have developed several tricks throughtrial and erro (much error!) that seem to work for me. one is that i am emotionally attached to food, and i know it. so i try to substitute the EATING experience with the SHOPPING experience--i will go to the grocery store several times a week and buy my meals each time i go, looking for healthy ones. this is not always time efficient, but i figure neither is sitting for 10 minutes in the drive-through. anyway, something about picking out a piece of salmon steak, buying a vegetable, and then searching for an allowable treat (a la the frozen lowfat yogurt aisle) helps to beat the immediacy of the 'stuff-my-face' urge. another trick is to vary the new healthy things i eat--i'll go to the health food store and buy single portion sizes of new treats and give myself one to take in the car with me each day. psychologically i am tricking myself by letting the newness become the attractive factor (instead of the fat and salt of the old junk). and what is wrong with that, since it helps me to eat better? the other important thing is to find good substitutes for junk i already like. for instance, there is a brand of cheese doodles called Bearitos (in the health food store) which only has 5 grams of fat in a two cup serving. and it's made with organic corn, etc. that might sound high for fat grams to gung-ho dieters but for me, if it keeps me on the generally healthy straight and narrow, then it's worth it. i find if i try to get too esoteric and get tofu and lots of other stuff i have never heard of, my compliance to this kind of eating goes right down the drain. and i waste a lot of money. anyway, this has been long but these tricks are keeping me generally healthy right now. and i DO slip up but i allow for that because i'm human. and that's fine too. good luck.