Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does the Strassburg Sock work?

Posted by Scott on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008804)

Who's tried the Strassburg Sock? Does it work?

Re: Does the Strassburg Sock work?

crabbyass2 on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008810)

tried it, no difference and no improvement Marie

Laura on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008815)

Yes, I tried it. It was better than nothing, but I much prefer the regular night splint I got 2 weeks ago. Basically, keeping your tendon in the flexed position all night should help morning pain. The sock gets uncomfortable for 2 reasons.

1) the foot part had no support - it's just a sock. So, your toes will get bent up & back towards your knee. I did modify my sock a little, though. I took a rubber flip-flop (the kind you wear at the beach) and I put it inside the sock so that my foot rested on the bottom of it (so the straps of the flip-flop faced down to the floor). This really helped.

2) the velcro straps that you have to pull up from the toes to attach to the one around your upper calf (to keep the tension) are a pain. The one around my calf got uncomfortable - it left deep ridges in my leg that itched. I ended up putting another sock between that strap and my skin. This helped a little.

OK...3 reasons. The sock and the velcro straps catch on my bedsheets. The night splint I have now is slick plastic and slides.

Laura

crabbyass2 on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008810)

tried it, no difference and no improvement Marie

Laura on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008815)

Yes, I tried it. It was better than nothing, but I much prefer the regular night splint I got 2 weeks ago. Basically, keeping your tendon in the flexed position all night should help morning pain. The sock gets uncomfortable for 2 reasons.

1) the foot part had no support - it's just a sock. So, your toes will get bent up & back towards your knee. I did modify my sock a little, though. I took a rubber flip-flop (the kind you wear at the beach) and I put it inside the sock so that my foot rested on the bottom of it (so the straps of the flip-flop faced down to the floor). This really helped.

2) the velcro straps that you have to pull up from the toes to attach to the one around your upper calf (to keep the tension) are a pain. The one around my calf got uncomfortable - it left deep ridges in my leg that itched. I ended up putting another sock between that strap and my skin. This helped a little.

OK...3 reasons. The sock and the velcro straps catch on my bedsheets. The night splint I have now is slick plastic and slides.

Laura