Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Disney World & Mephistos long post

Posted by BarbannJ on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008813)

I recently returned from a 78 day trip to WDW. I was very concerned about being able to traverse the great expanses of hot pavement with becoming incapacitated.

I am one of the great advocates of Birks Arizona and Boston styles. I had been feeling that they wouldn't be right for long treks and I was unhappy with my Easy Spirit Walking shoes that I had recently purchased as they did not have enough support.

Two weeks before leaving for my trip I went to a Mall to a store that sold Mephistos. They just didn't have my size in any of the shoes I liked or even didn't like. They finally fit me in the Holiday style for men size 10. I am a woman but this fit. They were supposed to get them in white for me before my trip. I also stood on a mat to get charted for an insole that was supposed to be fit to my foot pressure and size. Two days before my trip this store at Woodfield Mall in Illinois had neither item and no good explanation. Now two weeks later I have still not received the insoles that I paid for up front.

Two days before my trip I went to a tiny store in Oak Park Illinois that sells only Mephistos. I was fit for a shoe that looks like the Birk Arizona Mans 10 in Brown leather, stap holes punched to get them to my size. I was also fit for the Holiday in white. I also bought 5 pairs of Acrylic socks. I spent a fortune and it was worth every penny of it.

My trip involved a huge amount of walking and I was mostly okay. I used moleskin on the front of my foot just under the edge of the front strap where it was touching my foot. I did this each time I wore them.
They were perfect and great in the heat.

I wore the Holiday walking shoes too with the Acrylic socks and they wicked the moisture away from my feet and left my feet nice and dry. No blisters perfect fit from the first day. I usually switched shoes at some point in each day.

The only new symptom I had was some shin pain for a couple of days. I also stretched out every time I was in a ladies room and when waiting in lines. I did this frequently.

My pf pain was minimal or absent. I am religious about always having either birks or mow Mephistos on my feet even as houseslippers.

Between Birks, stretching, Mephistos, Ibuprophen, Glucosamine and good socks I had a good trip. I can't imagine buying any other brand of shoes now than Mephistos.

I also have had surgery for a herniated disc and had a long period of residual very serious sciatic pain. The sciatica acted up only in a minor and manageable way. Another kind of leaning sideways stretch up against a wall can get it back under control. These shoes were so great. Just amazing, stable, supportive and comfortable.

Barb

Re: Disney World & Mephistos long post oops

BarbannJ on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008814)

NO NO an 8 day trip!!!!

NOT 78 day, oh my, hanging head in red faced embarassment.

GGGGG

Re: Disney World & Mephistos long post

Audrey on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008834)

Having just been diagnosed with PF, I am trying desperately to find shoes/sandals I am comfortable in. I have already spent a small for fortune in this dept., I was about to go purchase Birks until I read your message. I will cerainly look into Mephistos. Thanks

Yvonne on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008847)

You said you had very serious sciatic pain, how did you cure it? I only ask as I have serious sciatic pain myself at the moment. I went to an acupuncturist about a month ago for my PF and since then my sciatic nerve is giving me a lot of trouble (cronic pain).

Yvonne on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008848)

You said you had very serious sciatic pain, how did you cure it? I only ask as I have serious sciatic pain myself at the moment. I went to an acupuncturist about a month ago for my PF (got no relief at all) and since then my sciatic nerve is giving me a lot of trouble (cronic pain).

BarbJ on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008855)

I would absolutely get a pair of Birks. Probably the Arizona model and wear them just a little each day untill they are comfortable for longer times. I would also use them as house shoes.

That said for walking shoes the Mephisto Holiday model or whatever the womens wallking shoe is named are GREAT. I love my Birks but could not have done WDW in them. You will find less on this site about Mephisto probably because they are so *%#**## expensive. I will however buy them again as needed.

Now do a search on this site and read all about the people who feel their Birks saved there feet. I am one of them. Remember just a little each day build up really slowly so they get the chance to mold to your feet or you won't like them. 15 minutes the first day and maybe even just sit with them on. It is normal for them to be uncomfortable at first.

Also do those stretches often and regularly.

Also Ibuprophen

Good luck

Barb

BarbannJ on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008856)

Oops I forgot to use BarbannJ in the above message. I am not the newer BarbJ I am the netcom BarbJ.

BarbannJ on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008857)

I am concerned because you seem to relate the sciatic pain to the trip to the acupucturist. If this is the case you might describe your pain as resulting from an injury caused by the acupuncture. Please go see a Neurosurgeon immediately.

The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and it travels a route that crosses from the lumbasr area of the spine across the buttock and down the leg al the way to the big toe.

My pain was chronic and long standing eventually resulting in the nerve beginning to die. I had emergency surgery and because my nerve had been compressed so long I had complications which in my case were the sciatic nerve firing spontaneously. Now if you have ever had an epidural injection in which they need to find the sciatic nerve to inject steroids around it you will know what I mean by 'firing'. If you don't know what this means I am very happy for you. It took some 6 months after surgery for this to all resolve. we actually used antiseizure medication Neurontin to get it to stop. This was all a really big deal. If you can make choices right now that will help you avoid my scenario please, please do.

With your symptom related to the acupuncturist I would absoluteley not go to a chiropractor but a medical doctor. Most people do not, do not need surgery! My neurosurgeon worked with me for over a year before my situation became urgent. we tried all kinds of things.

All of this is my opinion.

Good Luck Barb

Deb on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008864)

What are acrylic socks and where can you get them?

Sue on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008869)

I bought the Mephisto Holiday model and they were too narrow for my foot. I found the Rush model to be almst identical but with more room. Although they were helpful while on a recent trip to Europe, I don't feel the PF has improved since I started wearing them.

Lee on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008877)

I don't think the Mephistos 'help' my pf, but they sure feel better than barefoot. They really support my arch. Barefoot in the morning is horrible, my arches ache with no shoes.

Yvonne on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008883)

Barb, thank you for the info, I am attending a pain management and sports medicine doctor at the moment. He does this procedure called trigger point injections. He has been highly recommended and so far I have seen him once last Saturday, I couldn't walk going into his office and after treatment I felt about 50% better. So I will continue to see him for the injections and PT.

Laura on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008887)

Barb,
Great post. Hey - I was born and grew up in Mt. Prospect, IL. It was nice to read your references to my old stomping grounds. I'm now in San Antonio, but I still have family in Chicago.

I'm going to look into Mephistos and Birks. I really need something to wear around the house. Currently, I have my old orthotics and the insoles from my NB 652's in my slippers. I guess it's better than nothing, but I think those shoes/sandals might be better.

Thanks for your WDW story.
Laura

BarbannJ on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008891)

I can not believe it but I cannot remember the brand name of the socks but I can tell you they are carried in the TravelSmith magazine. I bought mine at the Mephisto store. They are about 9.50 or so a pair. They are all Acrylic and are woven in a way that is supprotive to the foot. They have distinct directional weave in specific areas. I like them. You can recognize them by this weave I think.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

BarbannJ on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008892)

Good luck to you. Some people have the sciatic nerve calm down and never act up again. This is my wish for you.

Barb

Re: Disney World & Mephistos long post oops

BarbannJ on 7/18/99 at 00:00 (008814)

NO NO an 8 day trip!!!!

NOT 78 day, oh my, hanging head in red faced embarassment.

GGGGG

Audrey on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008834)

Having just been diagnosed with PF, I am trying desperately to find shoes/sandals I am comfortable in. I have already spent a small for fortune in this dept., I was about to go purchase Birks until I read your message. I will cerainly look into Mephistos. Thanks

Yvonne on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008847)

You said you had very serious sciatic pain, how did you cure it? I only ask as I have serious sciatic pain myself at the moment. I went to an acupuncturist about a month ago for my PF and since then my sciatic nerve is giving me a lot of trouble (cronic pain).

Yvonne on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008848)

You said you had very serious sciatic pain, how did you cure it? I only ask as I have serious sciatic pain myself at the moment. I went to an acupuncturist about a month ago for my PF (got no relief at all) and since then my sciatic nerve is giving me a lot of trouble (cronic pain).

BarbJ on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008855)

I would absolutely get a pair of Birks. Probably the Arizona model and wear them just a little each day untill they are comfortable for longer times. I would also use them as house shoes.

That said for walking shoes the Mephisto Holiday model or whatever the womens wallking shoe is named are GREAT. I love my Birks but could not have done WDW in them. You will find less on this site about Mephisto probably because they are so *%#**## expensive. I will however buy them again as needed.

Now do a search on this site and read all about the people who feel their Birks saved there feet. I am one of them. Remember just a little each day build up really slowly so they get the chance to mold to your feet or you won't like them. 15 minutes the first day and maybe even just sit with them on. It is normal for them to be uncomfortable at first.

Also do those stretches often and regularly.

Also Ibuprophen

Good luck

Barb

BarbannJ on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008856)

Oops I forgot to use BarbannJ in the above message. I am not the newer BarbJ I am the netcom BarbJ.

BarbannJ on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008857)

I am concerned because you seem to relate the sciatic pain to the trip to the acupucturist. If this is the case you might describe your pain as resulting from an injury caused by the acupuncture. Please go see a Neurosurgeon immediately.

The sciatic nerve is the largest nerve in the body and it travels a route that crosses from the lumbasr area of the spine across the buttock and down the leg al the way to the big toe.

My pain was chronic and long standing eventually resulting in the nerve beginning to die. I had emergency surgery and because my nerve had been compressed so long I had complications which in my case were the sciatic nerve firing spontaneously. Now if you have ever had an epidural injection in which they need to find the sciatic nerve to inject steroids around it you will know what I mean by 'firing'. If you don't know what this means I am very happy for you. It took some 6 months after surgery for this to all resolve. we actually used antiseizure medication Neurontin to get it to stop. This was all a really big deal. If you can make choices right now that will help you avoid my scenario please, please do.

With your symptom related to the acupuncturist I would absoluteley not go to a chiropractor but a medical doctor. Most people do not, do not need surgery! My neurosurgeon worked with me for over a year before my situation became urgent. we tried all kinds of things.

All of this is my opinion.

Good Luck Barb

Deb on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008864)

What are acrylic socks and where can you get them?

Sue on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008869)

I bought the Mephisto Holiday model and they were too narrow for my foot. I found the Rush model to be almst identical but with more room. Although they were helpful while on a recent trip to Europe, I don't feel the PF has improved since I started wearing them.

Lee on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008877)

I don't think the Mephistos 'help' my pf, but they sure feel better than barefoot. They really support my arch. Barefoot in the morning is horrible, my arches ache with no shoes.

Yvonne on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008883)

Barb, thank you for the info, I am attending a pain management and sports medicine doctor at the moment. He does this procedure called trigger point injections. He has been highly recommended and so far I have seen him once last Saturday, I couldn't walk going into his office and after treatment I felt about 50% better. So I will continue to see him for the injections and PT.

Laura on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008887)

Barb,
Great post. Hey - I was born and grew up in Mt. Prospect, IL. It was nice to read your references to my old stomping grounds. I'm now in San Antonio, but I still have family in Chicago.

I'm going to look into Mephistos and Birks. I really need something to wear around the house. Currently, I have my old orthotics and the insoles from my NB 652's in my slippers. I guess it's better than nothing, but I think those shoes/sandals might be better.

Thanks for your WDW story.
Laura

BarbannJ on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008891)

I can not believe it but I cannot remember the brand name of the socks but I can tell you they are carried in the TravelSmith magazine. I bought mine at the Mephisto store. They are about 9.50 or so a pair. They are all Acrylic and are woven in a way that is supprotive to the foot. They have distinct directional weave in specific areas. I like them. You can recognize them by this weave I think.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

BarbannJ on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008892)

Good luck to you. Some people have the sciatic nerve calm down and never act up again. This is my wish for you.

Barb