Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

PF or Nerve Entrapment?

Posted by John Holt on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008840)

I have had what was diagnosed by several Doctors as PF. Today I had some nerve conduction test which indicated mild TARSAL TUNNEL SYNDROME
in both feet which can produce some of the same pain as PF. I am scheduled to have a Chelectomy on my left foot soon and had intended to have a partial release of the PF at the same time. Am anxiously awaiting my doctors thoughts on the results of the nerve conduction test. Do I have PF? Do I have trapped nerves in the ankle? This problem is over 5 years old.

Re: PF or Nerve Entrapment?

Ann on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008849)

What is Chelectomy?

wendy2 on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008854)

Although these problems can exist at the same time, they are two different problems. If I was you, I would put a hold on anything extreme like surgery until you know for sure what you're dealing with. If you've lived with this for 5 years, there's no point in rushing more than you absolutely have to at this point - you may want to get another opinion before you have the surgery just to be on the safe side. Not a lot of doctors seem to know too much about Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome since it's a relatively uncommon condition.

Beth on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008871)

John,

I was also recently diagnosed with both PF and bilateral tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had the nerve testing done. That was in April. I'm now going for a second opinion and have further nerve testing scheduled with a neurologist in August. The first testing was done by the nurse in the first podiatrists office. I want an unbiased test, which, is why I've gone for a second opinion. Both doctors said I have PF and recommended stretching. The first doctor said I needed orthotics (and made them for me), the second said my foot was not overly pronated and didn't necessarily need the orthotics. Since I cut way back on my exercising my feet have stopped tingling or going numb. I wore the orthotics all the time until yesterday. My feet have been so warm I decided to see if it were the orthotics and the friction they may be causing in my shoes that was making my feet warm (burning feeling). This is just the first day, though, so I can't state anything yet!

For the PF I've been stretching and just ordered a device I found out about here called Foot Flex. I'll let you all know how I like it!

Beth

John on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008875)

the doctor who did the nerve testing on my feet was an orthopedic surgeon who does nothing but nerve testing and pain control. my regular foot doctor is an ortho who has a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. he is so busy the surgery scheduled on my great toe is seven week away.he was very clear with me concering the possibility of surgery on the plantar fascia. he said he was 'very unsure' if plantar surgery would improve my condition. i asked him what were the odds it could make it worse and he said less than 5%. he has not seen the results of my nerve conduction test yet and will review that on wednesday. i have not found a lot of info on success of tarsal tunnel syndrome surgery. i guess the biggest problem we all have is 'DIAGNOSIS'!

john on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008876)

Ann: a cheilectomy is a surgical procedure on the 2nd joint of the great toe. The toe losses motion due to arthritis and calcium deposites and will not flex up very much. very common in runners and women. they call the condition Hallux Limitus or Hallux Rigidis. The surgery consist of removing the calcium deposites and a wedge of bone to allow the toe to flex up and down. similar to a bunion except the toe does not turn inward. very painful as you use the big toe to push off of when you stride. If it want bend yuk! this condition may have caused my problems with the plantar fascia or nerve entrapment because when i ran the pain in my big toe caused me to change the way my foot would push off and hit the ground in order to avoid pain. like most stupid runners i thought i could run through the pain. if you do not correct the condition your joint could eventually fuse or you will destroy so much cartlidge you will have to fuse it or have an artifical joint which is not long lasting.

Janet on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008952)

Here, Here!!! Despite the fact that all of my tests have come back negative for PF, all the docs continue to diagnose me with it. I'm so fed up!!!!!!!!!

John Holt on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008969)

Beth if your feet go numb it would seem a positive sign of nerve entrapment somewhere. nerve damage can result from long term pressing on a nerve.the problem nearly all of us face is a correct 'diagnosis'. if i know for SURE that a trapped nerve in my ankle is causing my pain then I opt for the surgery with out looking back. I am still waiting for the doctor to look at my nerve conduction test and give me his opinion. he is honest it appears to me as he was quick to say he did not know if a PF release would answer my foot problems. i talked to the doctors nurse yesterday and she said she laid the results of the test on his desk and i should hear form him within a week. in any event if will have toe surgery in 7 weeks and may or may not add Tarsal Tunnel Release or PF (open type) with a 33% release of fascia. either case is three weeks on crutches which would be a walk in the park compared to 6 years of foot problems.

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008977)

John,

I, too, have decided that if the second round of nerve testing indicates tarsal tunnel then I will have the surgery to release the nerve. Since I took my orthotics out, I have put them back in. Are my feet dependent on them? Probably. After a few weeks in them, however, my tingling and numbness went away. The first podiatrist said that having the foot in the correct position would take the tension off the nerve...maybe that's what's happened and I'm left with is the PF to deal with. I don't have the classic pain when I get up in the morning, but all three doctors I've seen have said I have PF because it hurts when they do something to my heel. It hurts after I've been standing for a while. I think my fascia is inflamed and am working at reducing that with rest, stretching, ibuprofin cream and pills, and icing.

Beth

John on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009090)

beth: it seems you and i have much the same symptons in that we have no pain when first getting up in the morning.this is a classic symptom of PF. not having this symptom puts both me and my doctor in the position of not being 'sure' that pf is the problem and was not sure that pf surgery would solve my problem. it is my call as he said. still waiting to see what he thinks about the nerve conduction studies which indicate mild nerve entrapment. my problem here is that from what i have read that nerve entrapment usually involves 'tingling' or 'numbness'. i have neither. just pain. with a trapped nerve you can sometimes tap on the inside of the ankle over the point where the nerve passes and get a tingling response in your foot. i tap and have hit very hard and illict no response.

Beth on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009097)

John,

I have tapped the insides of my ankles at different times and it varies as to whether or not I get tingling. Before the orthotics, I got tingling every time. I've had the orthotics in for 3 months now and my feet are sore all day. It feels like I just ran for an hour when I've barely been walking. I'm still working on the inflamation. My feet are very warm all day (from the inflamation?). I think so. I wish some doctor could tell me how to relieve it. It feels good while I'm icing or elevating (after a while), but the pain returns quickly. Please let me know how your nerve testing goes!

Beth

Ann on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008849)

What is Chelectomy?

wendy2 on 7/19/99 at 00:00 (008854)

Although these problems can exist at the same time, they are two different problems. If I was you, I would put a hold on anything extreme like surgery until you know for sure what you're dealing with. If you've lived with this for 5 years, there's no point in rushing more than you absolutely have to at this point - you may want to get another opinion before you have the surgery just to be on the safe side. Not a lot of doctors seem to know too much about Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome since it's a relatively uncommon condition.

Beth on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008871)

John,

I was also recently diagnosed with both PF and bilateral tarsal tunnel syndrome. I had the nerve testing done. That was in April. I'm now going for a second opinion and have further nerve testing scheduled with a neurologist in August. The first testing was done by the nurse in the first podiatrists office. I want an unbiased test, which, is why I've gone for a second opinion. Both doctors said I have PF and recommended stretching. The first doctor said I needed orthotics (and made them for me), the second said my foot was not overly pronated and didn't necessarily need the orthotics. Since I cut way back on my exercising my feet have stopped tingling or going numb. I wore the orthotics all the time until yesterday. My feet have been so warm I decided to see if it were the orthotics and the friction they may be causing in my shoes that was making my feet warm (burning feeling). This is just the first day, though, so I can't state anything yet!

For the PF I've been stretching and just ordered a device I found out about here called Foot Flex. I'll let you all know how I like it!

Beth

John on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008875)

the doctor who did the nerve testing on my feet was an orthopedic surgeon who does nothing but nerve testing and pain control. my regular foot doctor is an ortho who has a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. he is so busy the surgery scheduled on my great toe is seven week away.he was very clear with me concering the possibility of surgery on the plantar fascia. he said he was 'very unsure' if plantar surgery would improve my condition. i asked him what were the odds it could make it worse and he said less than 5%. he has not seen the results of my nerve conduction test yet and will review that on wednesday. i have not found a lot of info on success of tarsal tunnel syndrome surgery. i guess the biggest problem we all have is 'DIAGNOSIS'!

john on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008876)

Ann: a cheilectomy is a surgical procedure on the 2nd joint of the great toe. The toe losses motion due to arthritis and calcium deposites and will not flex up very much. very common in runners and women. they call the condition Hallux Limitus or Hallux Rigidis. The surgery consist of removing the calcium deposites and a wedge of bone to allow the toe to flex up and down. similar to a bunion except the toe does not turn inward. very painful as you use the big toe to push off of when you stride. If it want bend yuk! this condition may have caused my problems with the plantar fascia or nerve entrapment because when i ran the pain in my big toe caused me to change the way my foot would push off and hit the ground in order to avoid pain. like most stupid runners i thought i could run through the pain. if you do not correct the condition your joint could eventually fuse or you will destroy so much cartlidge you will have to fuse it or have an artifical joint which is not long lasting.

Janet on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008952)

Here, Here!!! Despite the fact that all of my tests have come back negative for PF, all the docs continue to diagnose me with it. I'm so fed up!!!!!!!!!

John Holt on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008969)

Beth if your feet go numb it would seem a positive sign of nerve entrapment somewhere. nerve damage can result from long term pressing on a nerve.the problem nearly all of us face is a correct 'diagnosis'. if i know for SURE that a trapped nerve in my ankle is causing my pain then I opt for the surgery with out looking back. I am still waiting for the doctor to look at my nerve conduction test and give me his opinion. he is honest it appears to me as he was quick to say he did not know if a PF release would answer my foot problems. i talked to the doctors nurse yesterday and she said she laid the results of the test on his desk and i should hear form him within a week. in any event if will have toe surgery in 7 weeks and may or may not add Tarsal Tunnel Release or PF (open type) with a 33% release of fascia. either case is three weeks on crutches which would be a walk in the park compared to 6 years of foot problems.

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008977)

John,

I, too, have decided that if the second round of nerve testing indicates tarsal tunnel then I will have the surgery to release the nerve. Since I took my orthotics out, I have put them back in. Are my feet dependent on them? Probably. After a few weeks in them, however, my tingling and numbness went away. The first podiatrist said that having the foot in the correct position would take the tension off the nerve...maybe that's what's happened and I'm left with is the PF to deal with. I don't have the classic pain when I get up in the morning, but all three doctors I've seen have said I have PF because it hurts when they do something to my heel. It hurts after I've been standing for a while. I think my fascia is inflamed and am working at reducing that with rest, stretching, ibuprofin cream and pills, and icing.

Beth

John on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009090)

beth: it seems you and i have much the same symptons in that we have no pain when first getting up in the morning.this is a classic symptom of PF. not having this symptom puts both me and my doctor in the position of not being 'sure' that pf is the problem and was not sure that pf surgery would solve my problem. it is my call as he said. still waiting to see what he thinks about the nerve conduction studies which indicate mild nerve entrapment. my problem here is that from what i have read that nerve entrapment usually involves 'tingling' or 'numbness'. i have neither. just pain. with a trapped nerve you can sometimes tap on the inside of the ankle over the point where the nerve passes and get a tingling response in your foot. i tap and have hit very hard and illict no response.

Beth on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009097)

John,

I have tapped the insides of my ankles at different times and it varies as to whether or not I get tingling. Before the orthotics, I got tingling every time. I've had the orthotics in for 3 months now and my feet are sore all day. It feels like I just ran for an hour when I've barely been walking. I'm still working on the inflamation. My feet are very warm all day (from the inflamation?). I think so. I wish some doctor could tell me how to relieve it. It feels good while I'm icing or elevating (after a while), but the pain returns quickly. Please let me know how your nerve testing goes!

Beth