Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pronation

Posted by Ann on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008872)

Can someone explain to me about pronation? What is it and how does it effect my PF. I have pain on the outside of my foot up my ankle. Does this have anything to do with pronation? I had surgery at the end of March. I am still in pain and have a lot of stiffness in my ankle especially in the am.

Thanks

Re: Pronation

Laura on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008884)

Ann,
You're gonna love this - here's the medical dictionary definition of 'pronation': 'Applied to the hand, the act of turning the palm backward (posteriorly) or downward, performed by medial rotation of the forearm. Applied to the foot, a combination of eversion and abduction movements taking place in the tarsal and metatarsal joints and resulting in lowering of the medial margin of the foot, hence of the longitudinal arch.'

In English, (the way my orthotist explained it to me) the foot rolls from side to side. If the feet roll inward, that's called 'over-pronating'. If the feet roll outward, that's called 'under-pronating'.

The orthotics that he made for me correct my over-pronating, and he instructed me to purchase shoes made specifically to correct for that, also. Pronating is measured mild, moderate, or severe. In my research for the correct shoe, I found out that New Balance makes shoes specifically for over-pronating. They have a web-site that describes all their shoes, in case you need to find some.

I wish I could tell you how pronation relates to ankle pain and/or PF. I suppose that knowing the definition helps to illustrate how it would affect those two things, though.

Good luck!
Laura

ann on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008886)

Laura, I believe that I am an under-pronater. My feet seem to roll to the outside (all my shoes where out on that side). I assume that I am putting a lot of pressure on my ankle because of this. I am going to a physical therapist tommorow. I am anxious to see what they have to say.

Thank you so much for your 'plain english' explanation.

Thanks

Judy E on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008897)

Please let us know what the physical therapist says. I would be interested in being seen by a physical therapist who specializes in leg, ankle & foot injuries.

Ann on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008953)

The physical therapist that I saw was not a foot and ankle therapist. My main concern was the pain in my hips. He gave me some exercises and did some electo whatever on my hips. He put some antiinflamitory cream on them and then rubbed them with the electrodes. It felt good. He is not sure what the deal is so we are going to meet with a foot and ankle therapist next week. Then, I will come back twice a week for four weeks. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

pete on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008995)

pronation is when your feet tilt inwards towards each other rather than being totally straight. supination i believe is when the tilt outwards or away from each other. i think pronation many times may be the result of stress on the foot caused by inadequate ankle dorsiflexion (flexibility to bring the foot in an upwards motion). if you don't have good dorsiflexion, over time your ligaments on your foot stretch out due to the excess force your putting on your foot and ankle when walking, and your feel then may tilt inwards somewhat. incedentally, inadequate dorsiflexion is what can cause plantar fasciitis alot of the time...for the same reasons...too much downward preassure on your foot when you walk stretches the planar fascia too much causing pain...many think pronation causes plantar fasciities, but i think it's the other way around. i think whatever is causing the plantar fasciitis (poor dorsiflexion) is likely also causing the pronation. good luck!

Laura on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008884)

Ann,
You're gonna love this - here's the medical dictionary definition of 'pronation': 'Applied to the hand, the act of turning the palm backward (posteriorly) or downward, performed by medial rotation of the forearm. Applied to the foot, a combination of eversion and abduction movements taking place in the tarsal and metatarsal joints and resulting in lowering of the medial margin of the foot, hence of the longitudinal arch.'

In English, (the way my orthotist explained it to me) the foot rolls from side to side. If the feet roll inward, that's called 'over-pronating'. If the feet roll outward, that's called 'under-pronating'.

The orthotics that he made for me correct my over-pronating, and he instructed me to purchase shoes made specifically to correct for that, also. Pronating is measured mild, moderate, or severe. In my research for the correct shoe, I found out that New Balance makes shoes specifically for over-pronating. They have a web-site that describes all their shoes, in case you need to find some.

I wish I could tell you how pronation relates to ankle pain and/or PF. I suppose that knowing the definition helps to illustrate how it would affect those two things, though.

Good luck!
Laura

ann on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008886)

Laura, I believe that I am an under-pronater. My feet seem to roll to the outside (all my shoes where out on that side). I assume that I am putting a lot of pressure on my ankle because of this. I am going to a physical therapist tommorow. I am anxious to see what they have to say.

Thank you so much for your 'plain english' explanation.

Thanks

Judy E on 7/20/99 at 00:00 (008897)

Please let us know what the physical therapist says. I would be interested in being seen by a physical therapist who specializes in leg, ankle & foot injuries.

Ann on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008953)

The physical therapist that I saw was not a foot and ankle therapist. My main concern was the pain in my hips. He gave me some exercises and did some electo whatever on my hips. He put some antiinflamitory cream on them and then rubbed them with the electrodes. It felt good. He is not sure what the deal is so we are going to meet with a foot and ankle therapist next week. Then, I will come back twice a week for four weeks. I will keep you posted.

Thanks for your concern and interest.

pete on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008995)

pronation is when your feet tilt inwards towards each other rather than being totally straight. supination i believe is when the tilt outwards or away from each other. i think pronation many times may be the result of stress on the foot caused by inadequate ankle dorsiflexion (flexibility to bring the foot in an upwards motion). if you don't have good dorsiflexion, over time your ligaments on your foot stretch out due to the excess force your putting on your foot and ankle when walking, and your feel then may tilt inwards somewhat. incedentally, inadequate dorsiflexion is what can cause plantar fasciitis alot of the time...for the same reasons...too much downward preassure on your foot when you walk stretches the planar fascia too much causing pain...many think pronation causes plantar fasciities, but i think it's the other way around. i think whatever is causing the plantar fasciitis (poor dorsiflexion) is likely also causing the pronation. good luck!