Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

heels hurting.

Posted by Tina on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008915)

My feet hurt mainly in the morning or after I have been sitting for a while. I feel like I am falling apart. I do not know what to do for it. I cannot have surgery. I cannot afford to be out of work for that amonut of time. Is there any at home treatments for this problem. What can I do to make the pain go away?
I try to ignore it but I can't anymore. I bought $80.00 air Nike because someone said that would work . It did at first, but not anymore.I do not want to see a doctor. I do not trust them.All they look out for is themsleves. They do not CARE about their patients anymore.

Please help if you can. I do not know what to do to make this go away.

Re: heels hurting.

CONNIE on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008918)

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CLICK ON THE LITTLE MESSAGE 'SCOTT'S 20 PAGES' AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MESSAGE BOARD AND READ THE INFORMATION. IT WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF INSIGHT INTO THE PROBLEM. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT SOMETIMES DOCTORS ARE A PROBLEM BUT IT WOULD HELP IF YOU WENT IN ARMED WITH THE RIGHT INFORMATION.

I KNOW ONE THING FROM EXPERIENCE---THIS DOES NOT GO AWAY AND ONLY GETS WORSE. THERE ARE NO HOME CURES BUT YOU CAN TAKE AN ACTIVE ROLE IN YOUR TREATMENT.

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE DON'T WAIT TOO MUCH LONGER UNTIL YOU SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP. THERE ARE SOME VERY HELPFUL TREATMENTS THAT CAN ONLY COME FROM A DOCTOR. MANY PEOPLE ARE PAIN FREE AS A RESULT OF TREATMENT BUT YOU NEED TO NIP IT IN THE BUD!

Laura on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008920)

You need to read all about this condition and the things you can do for yourself, such as:

- orthotics (shoe inserts, rigid or flexible, either made by an orthotist after taking a mold of your feet or store-bought)

- exercises specifically designed to stretch your tendons

- night splint (keeps your foot flexed all night - ver beneficial)

- anti-inflammatory creams or oral meds

- the correct shoes.

Do a lot of reading, Tina - it's up to you. Do searches on the internet for 'Plantar Fasciitis', which is the condition you sound like you have.

Good luck - it's a long haul, but you can do it. Laura

Carol E. on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008949)

I disagree with CONNIE about spending tons of money on doctors unless you have tried all of the many ideas suggested on this board first. It is apparrent from reading all of these posts that very few people get any relief at all from their doctors and only end up wasting a lot of money just to hear a doctor say that you will have to learn to live with the pain.

I think that you may have a good chance to heal yourself at home if you have not suffered from PF for too long. The first thing you need to do is read Scott's 20 page information sheet (you can access it at the top of this page). Then you need to rig up something to keep your foot in a flexed position while you sleep because the tendons attempt to heal themselves during the night and it helps a lot for the tendon to be stretched out while the rebuilding is going on---otherwise, if your toes are pointed out under the sheets, your tendon is shortened and then the healing takes place in this position. When you step down on that foot when you get out of bed, you are stretching and re-tearing the tendon EVERY morning. I accomplished this with a $12.00 lace-up ankle support that I bought at Wal-Mart. Later I switched to a fairly tight Futuro elastic ankle support. The next thing you need to do is STRETCH and FLEX your foot up and down and around and around in circles before you ever get out of bed. In fact sometimes I flex my toes back as far as I can and then use my other foot to pull them back even further. I cannot tell you what a huge difference this made for me! There are many other stretching exercises that you should try to do during the day (such as standing on the edge of a step and letting your heels hang off the edge as far as they can---lift yourself up on your toes (repeat several times).

The other things that have helped me are: cutting sugar out of my diet, losing weight, staying off my feet as much as possible, wearing a good arch support in my shoes(don't laugh, but actually what worked best for me was to add another layer or two onto my existing arches in my favorite shoes with craft foam which comes in sheets like felt), icing my heel and arch if I was on my foot too much and then elevating it for a while.

I won't say that I am 100% healed but most days I almost forget that I even have PF. I no longer suffer from the excruciating tearing pain in the morning or after sitting. Mostly I just have a dull ache in the evening on days that I have been on my feet too much. I would love to get some of the Peroxicam cream (prescription) that the ladies have talked about for these times. Sometimes I can go barefoot around the house without any pain, other times my arch feels weaker and I wear my Birkenstock sandle(my kids make fun of me because I will walk around with ONE Birkenstock shoe on and the other barefoot.) On good days, I can shop all day with very little pain and one day I even went on a four mile hike in the mountains. My foot ached a bit by the time I got back but I soaked it in the ice cold mountain stream for 20 minutes and it felt great after that. I really feel that I am finally on the road to recovery. It might take a while but it is happening.

However, there are other people on this board who have suffered from this dibilitating problem for so long that it apparrently is no longer possible for them to heal themselves. I have such a great amount of empathy for them as they try to find relief from a medical community that really doesn't have a clue!!!

CONNIE on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008918)

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CLICK ON THE LITTLE MESSAGE 'SCOTT'S 20 PAGES' AT THE BEGINNING OF THE MESSAGE BOARD AND READ THE INFORMATION. IT WILL GIVE YOU A LOT OF INSIGHT INTO THE PROBLEM. I AGREE WITH YOU THAT SOMETIMES DOCTORS ARE A PROBLEM BUT IT WOULD HELP IF YOU WENT IN ARMED WITH THE RIGHT INFORMATION.

I KNOW ONE THING FROM EXPERIENCE---THIS DOES NOT GO AWAY AND ONLY GETS WORSE. THERE ARE NO HOME CURES BUT YOU CAN TAKE AN ACTIVE ROLE IN YOUR TREATMENT.

GOOD LUCK AND PLEASE DON'T WAIT TOO MUCH LONGER UNTIL YOU SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP. THERE ARE SOME VERY HELPFUL TREATMENTS THAT CAN ONLY COME FROM A DOCTOR. MANY PEOPLE ARE PAIN FREE AS A RESULT OF TREATMENT BUT YOU NEED TO NIP IT IN THE BUD!

Laura on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008920)

You need to read all about this condition and the things you can do for yourself, such as:

- orthotics (shoe inserts, rigid or flexible, either made by an orthotist after taking a mold of your feet or store-bought)

- exercises specifically designed to stretch your tendons

- night splint (keeps your foot flexed all night - ver beneficial)

- anti-inflammatory creams or oral meds

- the correct shoes.

Do a lot of reading, Tina - it's up to you. Do searches on the internet for 'Plantar Fasciitis', which is the condition you sound like you have.

Good luck - it's a long haul, but you can do it. Laura

Carol E. on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008949)

I disagree with CONNIE about spending tons of money on doctors unless you have tried all of the many ideas suggested on this board first. It is apparrent from reading all of these posts that very few people get any relief at all from their doctors and only end up wasting a lot of money just to hear a doctor say that you will have to learn to live with the pain.

I think that you may have a good chance to heal yourself at home if you have not suffered from PF for too long. The first thing you need to do is read Scott's 20 page information sheet (you can access it at the top of this page). Then you need to rig up something to keep your foot in a flexed position while you sleep because the tendons attempt to heal themselves during the night and it helps a lot for the tendon to be stretched out while the rebuilding is going on---otherwise, if your toes are pointed out under the sheets, your tendon is shortened and then the healing takes place in this position. When you step down on that foot when you get out of bed, you are stretching and re-tearing the tendon EVERY morning. I accomplished this with a $12.00 lace-up ankle support that I bought at Wal-Mart. Later I switched to a fairly tight Futuro elastic ankle support. The next thing you need to do is STRETCH and FLEX your foot up and down and around and around in circles before you ever get out of bed. In fact sometimes I flex my toes back as far as I can and then use my other foot to pull them back even further. I cannot tell you what a huge difference this made for me! There are many other stretching exercises that you should try to do during the day (such as standing on the edge of a step and letting your heels hang off the edge as far as they can---lift yourself up on your toes (repeat several times).

The other things that have helped me are: cutting sugar out of my diet, losing weight, staying off my feet as much as possible, wearing a good arch support in my shoes(don't laugh, but actually what worked best for me was to add another layer or two onto my existing arches in my favorite shoes with craft foam which comes in sheets like felt), icing my heel and arch if I was on my foot too much and then elevating it for a while.

I won't say that I am 100% healed but most days I almost forget that I even have PF. I no longer suffer from the excruciating tearing pain in the morning or after sitting. Mostly I just have a dull ache in the evening on days that I have been on my feet too much. I would love to get some of the Peroxicam cream (prescription) that the ladies have talked about for these times. Sometimes I can go barefoot around the house without any pain, other times my arch feels weaker and I wear my Birkenstock sandle(my kids make fun of me because I will walk around with ONE Birkenstock shoe on and the other barefoot.) On good days, I can shop all day with very little pain and one day I even went on a four mile hike in the mountains. My foot ached a bit by the time I got back but I soaked it in the ice cold mountain stream for 20 minutes and it felt great after that. I really feel that I am finally on the road to recovery. It might take a while but it is happening.

However, there are other people on this board who have suffered from this dibilitating problem for so long that it apparrently is no longer possible for them to heal themselves. I have such a great amount of empathy for them as they try to find relief from a medical community that really doesn't have a clue!!!