Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortisone

Posted by keno on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008929)

I've done everything. Message, stretching, differnet shoes, shoe inserts, tennis ball therapy, yadda, yadda. Now my doctor wants me to do cortisone shots. Anyone have any insight? Hurt? Did it work?

Re: cortisone

Denise on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008931)

cortisone shots:
When I had my shot 5 weeks ago, it hurt like hell, took the pain down maybe from a 100% to %90, the shot only lasts approximately 4 weeks, now the pains back full strength. I won't have another shot, I'm going to try the taping, and maybe a night splint when I go back to the doctor next week.
Read through this message board, not a lot of people have luck with cortisone shots.
Good luck with whatever you try.
Denise

Laura on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008932)

As Denise said, some people here have said that their cortisone injections have helped.

As for me, the actual injection was very painful. It hurt for about 2-3 day after the first one, then I had about 3 weeks without pain. The second one hurt just as bad, and I had no pain relief at all.

I've done some research and have found that cortisone injections are not advised in most cases because there are serious possible damaging effects such as tendon rupture.

Please so some research on your own before you allow any injections in your foot.

Good Luck

Bea on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008934)

We have to understand that the cortizone shots and the antiinflammatories are not cures, merely pain relief snf notalways that. I am not against pain relief however when they can do damage and do not cure I think another course of treatment is in order. All the info I seen about ice and stretching is a good start and will not hurt. Above all read the infor that Scott spent so much time gather-ing. It isa worth its weight in gold.

Lee on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008938)

I've had three injections. The first one was a surprise because I didn't think it could even be legal or humane to do something so painful without any anesthesia. The pain from the spur was gone for about 3 months, and then came back worse. I could barely stand so I was desperate. I'm a hairstylist so I had to do something. Second shot, I had convinced myself it wasn't that bad. WRONG. Even more painful. Only lasted about 2 weeks. Again, I could not stand on my foot, so one more shot. It only lasted about 2 weeks. NEVER, NEVER again will I ever get another one no matter how bad it gets. Even if I have to crawl instead of walk. Here's the odd thing. Since I won't get any more shots my Dr. suggested Piroxocam cream.
Not only does it work better than the shots and no pain. But the pain is almost completely gone. Do yourself a favor and try this cream first. Maybe I've got low pain tolerance but I would strongly urge you not to have shots. They only mask the pain and it feels like the Dr. is sticking a dull table knife up your foot.

Jane on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008942)

I have to say cortizone is something you have to try before surgery. I had a series of 3 shots in each foot. (Bilateral PF). The first shots I had done by a podiatrist. He went through the bottom of my foot at the exact site I have the pain and twisted the needle while doing it. I just about passed out and they had to keep the office open late for me to be able to sit up and eventually drive myself home. Never saw him again. Went to an orthopedic Dr. for the 2nd and 3rd. He said it was not necessary to go thru the bottom, so he went thru the side and injected into the site that way. He put a lot of a numbing substance in the needle with the cortisone and it was MUCH better than the 1st and I didnt pass out. Still painful but not anywhere as bad as 1st. In the end, the cortisone didnt work. Never felt any relief from any of the shots.. But I still believe it is worth trying.. TRY everything before resorting to surgery and ask Doc where and how they give injection. Tell them what you heard. I have learned to NEVER BE AFRAID TO ? A DOC ON ANYTHING, we are paying them for their service.

Martha B. on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008945)

You get so desperate you will try anything-I cant believe I was gullable enough to let him give me a total of 7 of those PAINFUL SHOTS BEFORE I decided no more.Of course that was prior to be using the message board.If I had it to do over I would NOT have ever had the FIRST one.

wendy on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008946)

I had five of those docs torture needles before I quit the podiatrist. The first and second gave me some relief and I should have been resting the foot and stretching, but NO. The doc told me to keep on walking and aerobics and never mentioned stretching. No wonder I was back for the third, fourth, and fifth shot,and getting worse with each shot. I finally said no more, he was ready to give me no. six, and went to an orthopediac doc. He put me on a stretching routine, night splint and prescribed orthotics. Am a bit better and taking care of myself now. If you do get a shot, stay off the foot as much as possible for several weeks and see if it is working (removing the inflamation) before getting any more.

Sarah on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008976)

Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I am grateful for the shots and I am glad that I had them. The first ones given in each foot were more painful because they were given straight into the heel instead of sideways into the heel. I don't recommend the straight into the heel method. It reduced my pain substantially but not completely, and my doctor placed me in physical therapy. The work I did there was also instrumental in helping decrease my pain, but I did get a second shot in my right foot because it was still about a 4-5 on the pain scale. Recently, my left foot has been bothering me (it has only had one shot) and I have been VERY CAUTIOUS about not reinjuring it. Yes, there are some possible conflicts that can occur and it is important to be informed about these. I will agree that it doesn't cure the problem, but masks the pain and you can get overconfident about being pain free and reinjure. My doctor made no excuses about that and was hesitant about giving me a second shot after physical therapy. I would be very concerned about the doctor willing to continue to give dhot after shot. Someone mentioned having seven of these. No way, my doctor was very adamant about not getting to many of these. Good luck, and do what you think is right for you. They helped me tremendously!

Sarah

Bea on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008979)

During my last visit to my podiatrist we discussed my continuing totake Celebrex which was helping me greatly and is considered the safest of the anti inflammatories. He said we could continue on but every drug has its side effects and we are curing nothing. To continue to take cortizone with its known dangers just to be pain free is I believe a dangerous course. It can do much damage for a very limited benefit. Read the messages. We are not talking out of our hat.

Denise on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008931)

cortisone shots:
When I had my shot 5 weeks ago, it hurt like hell, took the pain down maybe from a 100% to %90, the shot only lasts approximately 4 weeks, now the pains back full strength. I won't have another shot, I'm going to try the taping, and maybe a night splint when I go back to the doctor next week.
Read through this message board, not a lot of people have luck with cortisone shots.
Good luck with whatever you try.
Denise

Laura on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008932)

As Denise said, some people here have said that their cortisone injections have helped.

As for me, the actual injection was very painful. It hurt for about 2-3 day after the first one, then I had about 3 weeks without pain. The second one hurt just as bad, and I had no pain relief at all.

I've done some research and have found that cortisone injections are not advised in most cases because there are serious possible damaging effects such as tendon rupture.

Please so some research on your own before you allow any injections in your foot.

Good Luck

Bea on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008934)

We have to understand that the cortizone shots and the antiinflammatories are not cures, merely pain relief snf notalways that. I am not against pain relief however when they can do damage and do not cure I think another course of treatment is in order. All the info I seen about ice and stretching is a good start and will not hurt. Above all read the infor that Scott spent so much time gather-ing. It isa worth its weight in gold.

Lee on 7/21/99 at 00:00 (008938)

I've had three injections. The first one was a surprise because I didn't think it could even be legal or humane to do something so painful without any anesthesia. The pain from the spur was gone for about 3 months, and then came back worse. I could barely stand so I was desperate. I'm a hairstylist so I had to do something. Second shot, I had convinced myself it wasn't that bad. WRONG. Even more painful. Only lasted about 2 weeks. Again, I could not stand on my foot, so one more shot. It only lasted about 2 weeks. NEVER, NEVER again will I ever get another one no matter how bad it gets. Even if I have to crawl instead of walk. Here's the odd thing. Since I won't get any more shots my Dr. suggested Piroxocam cream.
Not only does it work better than the shots and no pain. But the pain is almost completely gone. Do yourself a favor and try this cream first. Maybe I've got low pain tolerance but I would strongly urge you not to have shots. They only mask the pain and it feels like the Dr. is sticking a dull table knife up your foot.

Jane on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008942)

I have to say cortizone is something you have to try before surgery. I had a series of 3 shots in each foot. (Bilateral PF). The first shots I had done by a podiatrist. He went through the bottom of my foot at the exact site I have the pain and twisted the needle while doing it. I just about passed out and they had to keep the office open late for me to be able to sit up and eventually drive myself home. Never saw him again. Went to an orthopedic Dr. for the 2nd and 3rd. He said it was not necessary to go thru the bottom, so he went thru the side and injected into the site that way. He put a lot of a numbing substance in the needle with the cortisone and it was MUCH better than the 1st and I didnt pass out. Still painful but not anywhere as bad as 1st. In the end, the cortisone didnt work. Never felt any relief from any of the shots.. But I still believe it is worth trying.. TRY everything before resorting to surgery and ask Doc where and how they give injection. Tell them what you heard. I have learned to NEVER BE AFRAID TO ? A DOC ON ANYTHING, we are paying them for their service.

Martha B. on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008945)

You get so desperate you will try anything-I cant believe I was gullable enough to let him give me a total of 7 of those PAINFUL SHOTS BEFORE I decided no more.Of course that was prior to be using the message board.If I had it to do over I would NOT have ever had the FIRST one.

wendy on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008946)

I had five of those docs torture needles before I quit the podiatrist. The first and second gave me some relief and I should have been resting the foot and stretching, but NO. The doc told me to keep on walking and aerobics and never mentioned stretching. No wonder I was back for the third, fourth, and fifth shot,and getting worse with each shot. I finally said no more, he was ready to give me no. six, and went to an orthopediac doc. He put me on a stretching routine, night splint and prescribed orthotics. Am a bit better and taking care of myself now. If you do get a shot, stay off the foot as much as possible for several weeks and see if it is working (removing the inflamation) before getting any more.

Sarah on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008976)

Okay, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I am grateful for the shots and I am glad that I had them. The first ones given in each foot were more painful because they were given straight into the heel instead of sideways into the heel. I don't recommend the straight into the heel method. It reduced my pain substantially but not completely, and my doctor placed me in physical therapy. The work I did there was also instrumental in helping decrease my pain, but I did get a second shot in my right foot because it was still about a 4-5 on the pain scale. Recently, my left foot has been bothering me (it has only had one shot) and I have been VERY CAUTIOUS about not reinjuring it. Yes, there are some possible conflicts that can occur and it is important to be informed about these. I will agree that it doesn't cure the problem, but masks the pain and you can get overconfident about being pain free and reinjure. My doctor made no excuses about that and was hesitant about giving me a second shot after physical therapy. I would be very concerned about the doctor willing to continue to give dhot after shot. Someone mentioned having seven of these. No way, my doctor was very adamant about not getting to many of these. Good luck, and do what you think is right for you. They helped me tremendously!

Sarah

Bea on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008979)

During my last visit to my podiatrist we discussed my continuing totake Celebrex which was helping me greatly and is considered the safest of the anti inflammatories. He said we could continue on but every drug has its side effects and we are curing nothing. To continue to take cortizone with its known dangers just to be pain free is I believe a dangerous course. It can do much damage for a very limited benefit. Read the messages. We are not talking out of our hat.