Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking ??

Posted by Lee on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008943)

I haven't walked for exercise for at least a year. Some people post that they walk and it helps and others say no. My heel spur is better, but I'm so afraid the pain will come back. Any imput as to whether walking seems to help or hurt?

Re: Walking ??

linda on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008948)

hi Lee, for me, walking made it worst..i don't know what to do for exercise any more, some people say ride a bike, any thoughts on that?im having trouble with my weight since i had to stop aerobics..its been 2 yrs.for me, how bout you?

Lee on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008956)

The only exercise I've been able to do is the Health Rider. But walking was always the easiest. I would go with a girlfriend or my husband. It was a good stress reliever. So I'm not very motivated to do other forms of exercising. I am overweight still, but I've lost 18 pounds since May. (20 more to go) Desperate to lose weight so my heel spur might get better.

mardi on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008959)

I love to walk in the afternoons after my foot has stretched and loosened up a bit. I find it best to keep on as level ground as possible because I tend to reinjure myself when confronted with trails with lots of ups and downs like we have here in the mountains where I live. If I just keep it simple and remember that Im not a human Hummer, I seem to improve steadily.

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008960)

Hi Lee,

Do you have access to a pool? I have found that just going out to the deep end and treading water while moving my legs back and forth at a fairly good place for a half hour gives me a good workout. I don't really have the extra cash to get a flotation device to do the actual water walking or water running, but find I'm pretty beat when I'm done anyway! I'm also still lifting for my upper body. Times I've tried to do squats and lunges have seemed to hurt my feet more. I have free weights at home and follow along to videos to work my abs and upper body. There is a bike at the pool, too, and I am able to use that on a low resistance setting for a good half hour.

Beth

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008961)

My second podiatrist recommended walking to keep things from tightening up in my foot/ankle (I've been diagnosed with tarcal tunnel and PF). Sometimes I can walk with no problem, but lately it's hurt to just walk around the house. I'm trying to listen to my body and if it hurts to not do something. Stretching feels REAL good!

Beth

wendy2 on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008963)

Sounds like you and I have almost the same routine. Our pool has flotation belts that anyone can use - I still have to be carefuly in there though, and I've started wrapping my ankle before I go in - just the water pulling on it is enough to aggravate it. I use weights, but only upper body, and no squats or lunges. I'm surprised your podiatrist recommended walking especially with TTS, I find that walking seems to be one of the most difficult things for me to do.

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008965)

Wendy,

My first podiatrist diagnosed me with TTS in his office-I was only the second person the person doing the test had seen (it was not the doctor). So, my second podiatrist is sending me to a neurologist for an unbiased test. I personally think the warmth I still experience on the bottom of my feet is from the PF. I think it's from the inflamation. I've been icing, stretching a lot and taking ibuprofin. For my own comfort I haven't been walking unnecessarily. I think I'm going to get a night splint to wear. Gotta keep trying!

Beth

linda on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008948)

hi Lee, for me, walking made it worst..i don't know what to do for exercise any more, some people say ride a bike, any thoughts on that?im having trouble with my weight since i had to stop aerobics..its been 2 yrs.for me, how bout you?

Lee on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008956)

The only exercise I've been able to do is the Health Rider. But walking was always the easiest. I would go with a girlfriend or my husband. It was a good stress reliever. So I'm not very motivated to do other forms of exercising. I am overweight still, but I've lost 18 pounds since May. (20 more to go) Desperate to lose weight so my heel spur might get better.

mardi on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008959)

I love to walk in the afternoons after my foot has stretched and loosened up a bit. I find it best to keep on as level ground as possible because I tend to reinjure myself when confronted with trails with lots of ups and downs like we have here in the mountains where I live. If I just keep it simple and remember that Im not a human Hummer, I seem to improve steadily.

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008960)

Hi Lee,

Do you have access to a pool? I have found that just going out to the deep end and treading water while moving my legs back and forth at a fairly good place for a half hour gives me a good workout. I don't really have the extra cash to get a flotation device to do the actual water walking or water running, but find I'm pretty beat when I'm done anyway! I'm also still lifting for my upper body. Times I've tried to do squats and lunges have seemed to hurt my feet more. I have free weights at home and follow along to videos to work my abs and upper body. There is a bike at the pool, too, and I am able to use that on a low resistance setting for a good half hour.

Beth

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008961)

My second podiatrist recommended walking to keep things from tightening up in my foot/ankle (I've been diagnosed with tarcal tunnel and PF). Sometimes I can walk with no problem, but lately it's hurt to just walk around the house. I'm trying to listen to my body and if it hurts to not do something. Stretching feels REAL good!

Beth

wendy2 on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008963)

Sounds like you and I have almost the same routine. Our pool has flotation belts that anyone can use - I still have to be carefuly in there though, and I've started wrapping my ankle before I go in - just the water pulling on it is enough to aggravate it. I use weights, but only upper body, and no squats or lunges. I'm surprised your podiatrist recommended walking especially with TTS, I find that walking seems to be one of the most difficult things for me to do.

Beth on 7/23/99 at 00:00 (008965)

Wendy,

My first podiatrist diagnosed me with TTS in his office-I was only the second person the person doing the test had seen (it was not the doctor). So, my second podiatrist is sending me to a neurologist for an unbiased test. I personally think the warmth I still experience on the bottom of my feet is from the PF. I think it's from the inflamation. I've been icing, stretching a lot and taking ibuprofin. For my own comfort I haven't been walking unnecessarily. I think I'm going to get a night splint to wear. Gotta keep trying!

Beth