Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cortisone Shots-looking back over 10 years

Posted by Lori on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008947)

After living with PF for over 10 years, trying everything:ultrasound,stretching,Feldine (caused an ulcer),Arthrotec,other oral anti-inflammatories, icing, orthodics, and 4 cortisone shots, I agree with Bea...the shots and meds are just to mask the pain. However, I was lucky for 3 of the shots...the Dr. used liquid nitro spray to numb the area, then put the shot on the inside side of the heel and included an anesthetic with the cortisone. Hardly any pain at all. However, I DID experience a shot with no numbing and no anesthetic and thought I was going to die! Screamed and almost kicked the Dr. in the face (should have ).
Looking back over the years, I wish I had this message board to support me at first. I would have gotten orthodics immediately and done the stretching exercises along with icing. I believe they would have taken care of things. As it was, I didn't know about orthodics and stretching for almost 7 years of my pain and, in the end, they weren't enough...it had gone too far.
So, I had surgery this summer. Am getting better each day. Am even planning on the other foot for next summer. Surgery is the LAST resort but I had gotten to the point that I didn't want to live anymore. Now I have hope.
So, if you are just starting with the pain, get GOOD orthodics from a GOOD Dr. and stretch and ice every day.
Just my opinion after living in pain for 10 years...
Lori in AZ

Re: Cortisone Shots-looking back over 10 years

Laura on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008951)

Great post, Lori. It's wonderful to hear such a success story.
Best wishes on your second surgery.
Laura

jeanette on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009051)

I'm so happy for you. I have been suffering, because I chose to, with pf for just about a year. I finally got up the courage to go and see the podiatrist. I got a shot of cortisone. Instant results, then I started to have the pain. I remember looking at the pf website about ice. What a miracle. The ice worked, along with stretching and common sense. Good luck to you.

Laura on 7/22/99 at 00:00 (008951)

Great post, Lori. It's wonderful to hear such a success story.
Best wishes on your second surgery.
Laura

jeanette on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009051)

I'm so happy for you. I have been suffering, because I chose to, with pf for just about a year. I finally got up the courage to go and see the podiatrist. I got a shot of cortisone. Instant results, then I started to have the pain. I remember looking at the pf website about ice. What a miracle. The ice worked, along with stretching and common sense. Good luck to you.