Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: A few doubts

Posted by Robin on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008987)

Your story was moderately interesting and I enjoyed reading it up until the part about 'my friend told me about this wonderful product and I tried it for a week and I'm so much better.' But you fail to name the product or identify the all-natural ingredient that mimics cortisone. I think the next step is that everyone posts and asks you what this wonderful product is, right?

Unlike just about everyone on this board, you don't mention stretching, icing, splints, arch supports, PT, orthotics, glucosamine or any of the customary treatments. It's hard to believe a person could be experiencing real plantar fasciitis for more than 6 months and not do anything to find out what it is other than buy a pair of Reeboks and muddle through.

I'm sorry to be distrustful Nancy, but I've been a marketing copy writer for 25 years. If I were going to pitch a well-disguised ad to this board, I would write it exactly the way you wrote your story. I do hope you are telling the truth, and I'm sure everyone wishes you well if you are -- and if you are, then I apologize. I will probably get panned by many on this board for my response, but the truth is -- there is no pain conveyed in your post. Your PF problem sounds altogether too conveniently resolved with shoes and this wonderful product. I have only had PF for a year. Many on this board still suffer after 3 or 5 years. I don't remember anyone cured by Reeboks and an energy bar you can buy in a mall.

wendy on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008989)

My thoughts exactly!

mardi on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (009003)

I think I have had PF for so long now, in varying degrees, that I came to think it was just part of aging and being in retail and on my feet all day, but now I have started wondering about the shoe connection.
I am now 46 and being an ex-hippy, had started wearing Birkenstocks back in the early 80's during my pregnancies...I worked 7 days a week, since I owned a college record shop, and worked up to the day I went into labor with each of my children. I took 10 days off after each one before returning to the shop with munchkins in tow. During these pregnancies, I experienced no foot pain. But as so often happens after waddling around in maternity clothes for months, I was so eager to rid myself the that wardrobe, that I threw everything away that I wore during the pregnancies....I even quit wearing the Birkenstocks because I associated them with the pregnancies and being 200 pounds...
I now remember that after trading the Birks for some more stylish shoes, I started having major pain when I got out of bed in the mornings and tried to climb down the stairs to make breakfast! It seems possible that the foot pain I developed might have been due to the change in shoes...not my advancing years! My kids wear Birks now and I had sorta snubbed them when I said...well, I used to wear them 15 years ago, before they became so trendy...but am sick of them, they remind me of being pregnant. The only reason I broke down and got another pair of these corkbed shoes, not Birks this time...but Naots...is that I read an article about PF on the net that warned against going barefoot around the house...said to always wear a Birkenstock style shoe...to protect the arch. Many companies make the same style shoe now, so you dont have to pay the high prices if you just look around...I even see alot of these shoes for sale on eBay...mostly used...but usually a bargain. My feet still hurt in the mornings but not as badly as before I changed shoes.

Jessi on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009125)

Robin -- I don't blame you for doubting Nancy's story. It's only good sense to question what you read (especially on the Internet).

I'm a friend of Nancy's, however, and I can tell you that her problem is VERY real. She didn't post the name of the product because it was NOT an advertisement to *go out an buy this now*. She has been looking for information on how to deal with the pain in her feet -- and she even admitted she believes this to be a temporary solution. But, when you've been dealing with pain for a long time, even slight or temporary lessening of the pain is a relief. I hope she (and everyone else) finds a more permanent solution. I have another friend who is ALSO a teacher (actually, a college professor) and also suffers from pain in her feet. Maybe it's an occupational hazard?

Nancy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009136)

>> Your story was moderately interesting and I enjoyed reading it up until the part about 'my friend told me about this wonderful product and I tried it for a week and I'm so much better.'<<

Wrong. The pain letting up in my feet was incidental. That's not why I was taking the product. I didn't say...my feet were all better, did I? I said they felt as if they'd improved.

>> But you fail to name the product or identify the all-natural ingredient that mimics cortisone. I think the next step is that everyone posts and asks you what this wonderful product is, right? <<

The reason I didn't name the product was because as I was starting to post the message...I read the bit about not posting to this board if you are trying to sell a product. So...I went back and took out the name of the product in my post. I do not sell this product...I do not care if anyone ever buys this product. The tablets are a little too darn big for my liking...if you want to know the truth. I have no interest in promoting this product...but could certainly see why the owner of this board wouldn't want people coming here to write fictitious posts...all in the name of free advertising.

>> Unlike just about everyone on this board, you don't mention stretching, icing, splints, arch supports, PT, orthotics, glucosamine or any of the customary treatments.<<

Helloooooooooooo....as I said...I didn't know what was wrong until a few weeks ago. Good grief. Is that so unusal? If you'd like...I'll be happy to 'prove' it to you with my own private email sent back and forth to the person who suggested it might be plantar fascitis. I'd never heard of it until about two weeks ago. You can check the dates if you're so skeptical. Email me. You can have your 'proof.'

>> It's hard to believe a person could be experiencing real plantar fasciitis for more than 6 months and not do anything to find out what it is other than buy a pair of Reeboks and muddle through. <<

It was progressive. Good Lord...I didn't know I was going to have to justify my every thought. I thought this was a board of support. Who in the hell are you?

>>I'm sorry to be distrustful Nancy, but I've been a marketing copy writer for 25 years. If I were going to pitch a well-disguised ad to this board, I would write it exactly the way you wrote your story. <<

Well...all I can say to that is this...I hope you'll be as quick posting an apology...as you were posting this verbiage. You can email me...I can forward the email I sent to my online friend. No copy/paste...a straight forward. But if you are going to do that...you'll have to do it soon...AOL allows one a window of time to forward email. After that...it has to be copied and pasted into a new email message.

>> I do hope you are telling the truth, and I'm sure everyone wishes you well if you are -- and if you are, then I apologize <<

Save your apologies after I've 'proved' myself.

>> I will probably get panned by many on this board for my response, but the truth is -- there is no pain conveyed in your post. Your PF problem sounds altogether too conveniently resolved with shoes and this wonderful product. <<

Well...there is a lot of 'pain' in your post. What would make a person write something as you have here? Again...as you'll recall...I didn't say the Reeboks helped, did I? I said...AS YOU'LL RECALL...my feet got worse!! How dare you!

>> I don't remember anyone cured by Reeboks and an energy bar you can buy in a mall. <<

You email me...and then we'll see just how 'sincere' you really are.

Re: A few doubts/back at ya, Robin

Nancy on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009164)

Robin comments on my post:
>> It's hard to believe a person could be experiencing real plantar fasciitis for more than 6 months and not do anything to find out what it is other than buy a pair of Reeboks and muddle through. <<

Assuming this is the same 'Robin,' Robin writes on July 10th on this same message board, the following message. Robin doubts I'd buy a new pair of shoes...and just 'muddle' through. Yet Robin...continued 'walking through the pain' during her first four to five months. HUH?

You know what, Robin? Now it's my turn. I find it incredibly difficult to believe...anyone experiencing this kind of pain in their feet could begin to think about walking as a form of exercise. My main goal in the morning is to get through the day without looking like a crippled person suffering with arthritic feet. Sure the thought of walking ran through my mind...but it was a short sprint. Initially I thought walking my 'stretch' whatever it was that was making my feet feel taut and bound inside. But good God...walking to my kitchen was challenging enough...or the bathroom in the middle of the night...or out to my mailbox to check the mail. As little as I know about this, this PF, I knew this much....walking several miles at a time would not help.

So now it's my turn. You question my post...you cast doubt on my sincerity...and you assess my dealing with the intial pain as, 'muddling through.' I ask you...what in the heck were you thinking when you wrote that? Especially, in light of the following message left by you on July 10th:

Re: when can i run again?

Posted by Robin on 7/10/99 at 00:00
Many people on this message board have been dedicated runners and walkers. Some have been able to continue with their exercise; others have not, and have had to find new forms of exercise that aren't quite as rejuvenating.

The issue is really how much damage has already been done to your foot, how much more damage you do, or how much you can heal. There are people posting here (and I am among them) who have reported actually feeling tiny rips in the fascia when they occur. I 'walked through' the pain for 4 solid months, 4-5 miles a day, every day. Dumbest thing I ever did. If I knew then what I know now -- believe me, I would have made my feet my first priority and walking my second. Believe me, they are my first priority now.

wendy on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (008989)

My thoughts exactly!

mardi on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (009003)

I think I have had PF for so long now, in varying degrees, that I came to think it was just part of aging and being in retail and on my feet all day, but now I have started wondering about the shoe connection.
I am now 46 and being an ex-hippy, had started wearing Birkenstocks back in the early 80's during my pregnancies...I worked 7 days a week, since I owned a college record shop, and worked up to the day I went into labor with each of my children. I took 10 days off after each one before returning to the shop with munchkins in tow. During these pregnancies, I experienced no foot pain. But as so often happens after waddling around in maternity clothes for months, I was so eager to rid myself the that wardrobe, that I threw everything away that I wore during the pregnancies....I even quit wearing the Birkenstocks because I associated them with the pregnancies and being 200 pounds...
I now remember that after trading the Birks for some more stylish shoes, I started having major pain when I got out of bed in the mornings and tried to climb down the stairs to make breakfast! It seems possible that the foot pain I developed might have been due to the change in shoes...not my advancing years! My kids wear Birks now and I had sorta snubbed them when I said...well, I used to wear them 15 years ago, before they became so trendy...but am sick of them, they remind me of being pregnant. The only reason I broke down and got another pair of these corkbed shoes, not Birks this time...but Naots...is that I read an article about PF on the net that warned against going barefoot around the house...said to always wear a Birkenstock style shoe...to protect the arch. Many companies make the same style shoe now, so you dont have to pay the high prices if you just look around...I even see alot of these shoes for sale on eBay...mostly used...but usually a bargain. My feet still hurt in the mornings but not as badly as before I changed shoes.

Jessi on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009125)

Robin -- I don't blame you for doubting Nancy's story. It's only good sense to question what you read (especially on the Internet).

I'm a friend of Nancy's, however, and I can tell you that her problem is VERY real. She didn't post the name of the product because it was NOT an advertisement to *go out an buy this now*. She has been looking for information on how to deal with the pain in her feet -- and she even admitted she believes this to be a temporary solution. But, when you've been dealing with pain for a long time, even slight or temporary lessening of the pain is a relief. I hope she (and everyone else) finds a more permanent solution. I have another friend who is ALSO a teacher (actually, a college professor) and also suffers from pain in her feet. Maybe it's an occupational hazard?

Nancy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009136)

>> Your story was moderately interesting and I enjoyed reading it up until the part about 'my friend told me about this wonderful product and I tried it for a week and I'm so much better.'<<

Wrong. The pain letting up in my feet was incidental. That's not why I was taking the product. I didn't say...my feet were all better, did I? I said they felt as if they'd improved.

>> But you fail to name the product or identify the all-natural ingredient that mimics cortisone. I think the next step is that everyone posts and asks you what this wonderful product is, right? <<

The reason I didn't name the product was because as I was starting to post the message...I read the bit about not posting to this board if you are trying to sell a product. So...I went back and took out the name of the product in my post. I do not sell this product...I do not care if anyone ever buys this product. The tablets are a little too darn big for my liking...if you want to know the truth. I have no interest in promoting this product...but could certainly see why the owner of this board wouldn't want people coming here to write fictitious posts...all in the name of free advertising.

>> Unlike just about everyone on this board, you don't mention stretching, icing, splints, arch supports, PT, orthotics, glucosamine or any of the customary treatments.<<

Helloooooooooooo....as I said...I didn't know what was wrong until a few weeks ago. Good grief. Is that so unusal? If you'd like...I'll be happy to 'prove' it to you with my own private email sent back and forth to the person who suggested it might be plantar fascitis. I'd never heard of it until about two weeks ago. You can check the dates if you're so skeptical. Email me. You can have your 'proof.'

It was progressive. Good Lord...I didn't know I was going to have to justify my every thought. I thought this was a board of support. Who in the hell are you?

>>I'm sorry to be distrustful Nancy, but I've been a marketing copy writer for 25 years. If I were going to pitch a well-disguised ad to this board, I would write it exactly the way you wrote your story. <<

Well...all I can say to that is this...I hope you'll be as quick posting an apology...as you were posting this verbiage. You can email me...I can forward the email I sent to my online friend. No copy/paste...a straight forward. But if you are going to do that...you'll have to do it soon...AOL allows one a window of time to forward email. After that...it has to be copied and pasted into a new email message.

>> I do hope you are telling the truth, and I'm sure everyone wishes you well if you are -- and if you are, then I apologize <<

Save your apologies after I've 'proved' myself.

>> I will probably get panned by many on this board for my response, but the truth is -- there is no pain conveyed in your post. Your PF problem sounds altogether too conveniently resolved with shoes and this wonderful product. <<

Well...there is a lot of 'pain' in your post. What would make a person write something as you have here? Again...as you'll recall...I didn't say the Reeboks helped, did I? I said...AS YOU'LL RECALL...my feet got worse!! How dare you!

>> I don't remember anyone cured by Reeboks and an energy bar you can buy in a mall. <<

You email me...and then we'll see just how 'sincere' you really are.

Re: A few doubts/back at ya, Robin

Nancy on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009164)

Robin comments on my post:

Assuming this is the same 'Robin,' Robin writes on July 10th on this same message board, the following message. Robin doubts I'd buy a new pair of shoes...and just 'muddle' through. Yet Robin...continued 'walking through the pain' during her first four to five months. HUH?

You know what, Robin? Now it's my turn. I find it incredibly difficult to believe...anyone experiencing this kind of pain in their feet could begin to think about walking as a form of exercise. My main goal in the morning is to get through the day without looking like a crippled person suffering with arthritic feet. Sure the thought of walking ran through my mind...but it was a short sprint. Initially I thought walking my 'stretch' whatever it was that was making my feet feel taut and bound inside. But good God...walking to my kitchen was challenging enough...or the bathroom in the middle of the night...or out to my mailbox to check the mail. As little as I know about this, this PF, I knew this much....walking several miles at a time would not help.

So now it's my turn. You question my post...you cast doubt on my sincerity...and you assess my dealing with the intial pain as, 'muddling through.' I ask you...what in the heck were you thinking when you wrote that? Especially, in light of the following message left by you on July 10th:

Re: when can i run again?

Posted by Robin on 7/10/99 at 00:00
Many people on this message board have been dedicated runners and walkers. Some have been able to continue with their exercise; others have not, and have had to find new forms of exercise that aren't quite as rejuvenating.

The issue is really how much damage has already been done to your foot, how much more damage you do, or how much you can heal. There are people posting here (and I am among them) who have reported actually feeling tiny rips in the fascia when they occur. I 'walked through' the pain for 4 solid months, 4-5 miles a day, every day. Dumbest thing I ever did. If I knew then what I know now -- believe me, I would have made my feet my first priority and walking my second. Believe me, they are my first priority now.