Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

magnets

Posted by mardi on 7/24/99 at 00:00 (009005)

Okay, I was wondering...do the magnets work for PF? And if so, why?

Re: magnets

wendy2 on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009008)

I read about magnets for helping with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. I found an ankle support at the drugstore with magnets that you can 'Velcro' on to the areas of pain. I wear the support usually in the afternoon at work (have to remember to keep it away from computers and disks). I think it helps with the pain, maybe it's because of the magnets, maybe it's the support, maybe it's because it's warm - or maybe it's all in my head. Regardless, if it makes me think I'm having less pain - then it works for me.

Scott on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009011)

I stopped taping those 14 powerful but small 'rare earth' magnets I bought from radio shack to my heel, and the pain returned. I started using them again and the pain disappeared again. It's seems to work well if not extremely well. And you know I'm a pretty big skeptic. It's difficult to use them because they are very difficult to pull apart when they stick to each other. They stick to each other a lot because I try to space them very closely (1/4' grid pattern 3 columns by 4 rows) on a strip of duct tape and oriented in the same direction (all magents have north and south poles and if you mix the two directions in the grid, they cancel each other out). It requires two layers of duct tape because they'll cause 1 layer to bend and fold on itself while trying to stick to each other before you're able to get them and the tape on your foot.

Bea on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009025)

I can't remember where I got it, one of those mail order places that have supplies for older people to assisst them in medical problems, but I have a band of fabris with velcro at one end. The band itself is lined witha see thru fabric and has 5 pairs of magnets on 5 small bands. These individual bands are moveable so you cvan position the magnets anyway you want and then wrap it around the foot and hold in place with the velcro. I find it very handy and it does the job with no tape. I am keeping my eyes open llooking in catalogs to find it and when I do I'll let you know. Everyone keep an eye out and maybe we can find it.

Sarah on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009029)

I was just looking at magnets at Target and was considering them so I am glad to see a conversation concerning them, but I have several questions:

1. Are they comfortable since they have to be directly taped to your heel?

2. Is there a certain quality/brand I should look for or are the ones at Target selling for $19.95 as good as any other?

3. Should they be worn all day or could they be worn for a few hours in the evening with effective results?

4. Has anyone tried the magnetic slippers (came advertised with Vitamin Shop order)?

5. Do you recommend the whole insole or would just a heel sized one be okay?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Paul on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009060)

If anybody wants to talk about magnets please e-mail me. Good Magnets work for most people.

Paul

hank on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009100)

Paul,

Hank on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009102)

Paul,
Having browser problems - sorry for the mistypes. I'm having
problem getting your email. Could you possibly email me at
hankc@vnet.ibm.com? I have a few questions concerning the
magnets you have used (e.g. what kind and how long?). Also
what other remedies you used to get back to running.
best regards, Hank

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009114)

I use magnets, the velcro kind mentioned. I think they do help. I wear them at night. Acute pf pain isn't really helped, but ongoing mild pain is helped.

Paul on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009173)

You are correct. I believe once the acute inflamation has subsided magnetics will relieve the more annoying discomfort. There are all kinds of magnets out there and stronger does not mean better. The insoles I use are about 750 gauss in strength but have a patented magnetic field that give 100% coverage to the bottom of the foot and acheives deep penetration. To my knowledge there are none other like them. Most other isoles have a number of bipolar circles in them that only benefit a focused area and not a 100% of the foot.

wendy2 on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009008)

I read about magnets for helping with Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. I found an ankle support at the drugstore with magnets that you can 'Velcro' on to the areas of pain. I wear the support usually in the afternoon at work (have to remember to keep it away from computers and disks). I think it helps with the pain, maybe it's because of the magnets, maybe it's the support, maybe it's because it's warm - or maybe it's all in my head. Regardless, if it makes me think I'm having less pain - then it works for me.

Scott on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009011)

I stopped taping those 14 powerful but small 'rare earth' magnets I bought from radio shack to my heel, and the pain returned. I started using them again and the pain disappeared again. It's seems to work well if not extremely well. And you know I'm a pretty big skeptic. It's difficult to use them because they are very difficult to pull apart when they stick to each other. They stick to each other a lot because I try to space them very closely (1/4' grid pattern 3 columns by 4 rows) on a strip of duct tape and oriented in the same direction (all magents have north and south poles and if you mix the two directions in the grid, they cancel each other out). It requires two layers of duct tape because they'll cause 1 layer to bend and fold on itself while trying to stick to each other before you're able to get them and the tape on your foot.

Bea on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009025)

I can't remember where I got it, one of those mail order places that have supplies for older people to assisst them in medical problems, but I have a band of fabris with velcro at one end. The band itself is lined witha see thru fabric and has 5 pairs of magnets on 5 small bands. These individual bands are moveable so you cvan position the magnets anyway you want and then wrap it around the foot and hold in place with the velcro. I find it very handy and it does the job with no tape. I am keeping my eyes open llooking in catalogs to find it and when I do I'll let you know. Everyone keep an eye out and maybe we can find it.

Sarah on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009029)

I was just looking at magnets at Target and was considering them so I am glad to see a conversation concerning them, but I have several questions:

1. Are they comfortable since they have to be directly taped to your heel?

2. Is there a certain quality/brand I should look for or are the ones at Target selling for $19.95 as good as any other?

3. Should they be worn all day or could they be worn for a few hours in the evening with effective results?

4. Has anyone tried the magnetic slippers (came advertised with Vitamin Shop order)?

5. Do you recommend the whole insole or would just a heel sized one be okay?

Thanks for your help!

Sarah

Paul on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009060)

If anybody wants to talk about magnets please e-mail me. Good Magnets work for most people.

Paul

hank on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009100)

Paul,

Hank on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009102)

Paul,
Having browser problems - sorry for the mistypes. I'm having
problem getting your email. Could you possibly email me at
hankc@vnet.ibm.com? I have a few questions concerning the
magnets you have used (e.g. what kind and how long?). Also
what other remedies you used to get back to running.
best regards, Hank

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009114)

I use magnets, the velcro kind mentioned. I think they do help. I wear them at night. Acute pf pain isn't really helped, but ongoing mild pain is helped.

Paul on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009173)

You are correct. I believe once the acute inflamation has subsided magnetics will relieve the more annoying discomfort. There are all kinds of magnets out there and stronger does not mean better. The insoles I use are about 750 gauss in strength but have a patented magnetic field that give 100% coverage to the bottom of the foot and acheives deep penetration. To my knowledge there are none other like them. Most other isoles have a number of bipolar circles in them that only benefit a focused area and not a 100% of the foot.