Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New PF sufferer, but I'm getting better (hopefully) *kinda long*

Posted by Dannielle on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009013)

I was diagnosed with PF back in early June of this year, but it had really only started a month or so earlier. I did some research on the Internet about foot pain, specifically cramps in the arches and felt that it could be PF, but decided to go to a podiatrist who said that's exactly what it was.

I've done many things ranging from massaging my calves and the bottom of my feet, stretching out the muscles in my feet, achilles tendon and calf, and recently I've had success with something I saw mentioned right here! I do these foot exercises where I raise myself up on my toes, like I'm reaching for something up high, hold it for about 10 seconds and come down again. I usually try to do that 5 times a day and it seems like it's helped a lot.

What's really frustrating is I know that being overweight doesn't help and the only way I was able to lose weight before was walking, which I can't do right now for a long period of time, so I've begun to use our exercise bike. It's a lot slower going trying to lose weight this way, though.

Also, I was fortunate enough to go to a local shoe store where someone who knew what they were talking about actually informed me that one problem with the shoes I had was that they were too narrow and he found the perfect width for me, plus he knew all about PF so he got shoes with good support (New Balance) and also got some orthotics with arch support in them that you can adjust to your foot.

For what it's worth, I don't have as much pain when getting up as I used to, but I have to remember to keep up with my stretching and massaging or else I can start to feel it again.

I'm really hoping that I can get this under control someday soon because it's so frustrating to be only 31 years old and (before treatment) I was hobbling around the house like I was 90!

Re: New PF sufferer, but I'm getting better (hopefully) *kinda long*

wendy on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009014)

You are lucky to have found this fountain of information so early in your problem. From what I understand, the earlier you treat this and allow the fascia to heal, the better your chances for recovery. Many of us went on for months with bad advice (often from docs), multi cortisone shots (don't do), and walking or exercising resulting in desparation of the sole (pun intended). Do get a night splint, it looks cumbersome but in two weeks of use I notice considerable improvement. You can order one just like the doc gave me from a site mentioned on Scott's homepage. Good luck.

Beth on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009015)

Danielle,

I was diagnosed in mid-April with both Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and PF. I've been stretching, wearing orthotics, and taking anti-inflamatory med. I'm happy to hear that that exercise helped you and will try it. Thanks for sharing,

Beth

Bill on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009162)

Wendy-What is a night splint and where is Scott's home page/ I would love to find some relief!!

vicki on 8/04/99 at 02:59 (009444)

I was diagnosed with PF and tarsal tunnel this May after suffering and continuing to work for almost a year. I had already discovered before the diagnosis that I felt better when I did stretching every morning. I have had cortisone shots, ultrasound, and iontophoresis and thought I was cured until I tried to work again last week. I have felt very discouraged, but finding this site lets me know I am not alone. Does anyone else suffer with pain up the back of their legs also?

wendy on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009014)

You are lucky to have found this fountain of information so early in your problem. From what I understand, the earlier you treat this and allow the fascia to heal, the better your chances for recovery. Many of us went on for months with bad advice (often from docs), multi cortisone shots (don't do), and walking or exercising resulting in desparation of the sole (pun intended). Do get a night splint, it looks cumbersome but in two weeks of use I notice considerable improvement. You can order one just like the doc gave me from a site mentioned on Scott's homepage. Good luck.

Beth on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009015)

Danielle,

I was diagnosed in mid-April with both Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome and PF. I've been stretching, wearing orthotics, and taking anti-inflamatory med. I'm happy to hear that that exercise helped you and will try it. Thanks for sharing,

Beth

Bill on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009162)

Wendy-What is a night splint and where is Scott's home page/ I would love to find some relief!!

vicki on 8/04/99 at 02:59 (009444)

I was diagnosed with PF and tarsal tunnel this May after suffering and continuing to work for almost a year. I had already discovered before the diagnosis that I felt better when I did stretching every morning. I have had cortisone shots, ultrasound, and iontophoresis and thought I was cured until I tried to work again last week. I have felt very discouraged, but finding this site lets me know I am not alone. Does anyone else suffer with pain up the back of their legs also?