Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newly diagnosed with PF

Posted by Jon on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009027)

I have run for 30 years and had no problems-EVER. Three months ago, I changed to Nikes and developed PF in right foot. Have found Rockports
to be comfortable for work--particularly the loafers with inserts. Sadly, I have had to stop running because of the pain. What other exercise is out there? (I HATE cycling!) Will pick up a pair of Birks for a try. Are podiatrists helpful?

Re: Newly diagnosed with PF

Sarah on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009031)

My podiatrist has been very helpful, but I found my physical therapist more helpful. She was able to take the time with me I needed and after seeing patients for 10 years she knew a lot about what exercises to do and other various insights. Many here have been to a string of terrible podiatrists who kept pumping them full of cortisone and not telling them to stop the running ect.. which prevented proper healing. I still stand by my philosophy of locating a good foot doctor through a highly credible sports medicine group. The doctor I found deals with professional athletes who make their living from sports and definitely want/need to get better. He has been very conservative in his approach.

As for sports, I have recently invested in a good bike and have enjoyed it immensely. Some here have mentioned swimming. There was a conversation here about roller blading not aggravating things. Others have added weight training into their regime. Good luck to you and take my advice, don't over do it and tred carefully into whatever sport you decide will be okay.

WANDA on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009032)

HELLO JOHN IF MY SORRY === PODIATRISTS HAD WANTED TO DO SOMETHING FOR ME OTHER THAN GET MY MONEY I DONT BELIEVE I WOULD BE IN THE SHAPE I AM IN NOW. FOR WHEN I WENT TO HIM AND TOLD HIM OF MY PROBLEM , FRIST THING HE DID WAS GIVE ME A SHOT AND $280 WORTH OF INSERTS MOLDED TO FIT MY FEET AND TOLD ME IT WAS OK TO CONTINUE TO WALK (WAS WALKING OVER 10 MILES A DAY AT THIS TIME LAST YR.) NOW DO GOOD TO WALK TO THE MAILBOX AND BACK. I KNOW NOW MY PODIAT. WAS A JOKE AND STILL IS, BE LEAREY OF THEM , I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK YOU CAN HEAL YOUR SELF IF YOU STAY ON THIS BOARD

Bill on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009161)

Jon-I sympathize with you. I have been coaching football and baseball for 20 years and just began PF on my left foot this spring. I have been doing some stretches and taking ibuprofen daily with some positive reults. I play golf frequently and have tried walking 18 holes. It begins to take its toll after 9! Using a cart is quite expensive, but...... What troubles me is how it comes and goes! It is really painful in the morning and after I sit for a long while (it must tighten up). But, sometimes it reappears out of nowhere when I am walking! I am going to continue with ibuprofen and increase the stretches before I do anything drastic. I believe in sports medicine clinics. I send my athletes to them instead of to a doctor for injuries, as they are more apt to get them back on their feet again. Most of them are staffed with physical therapists. Larger ones have specific PT's for different conditions. You might want to try that route. Anyway, I like cycling and swimming, so I have an alternative route to exercise, but I can't imagine not playing golf the real way-walking!!

Sarah on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009031)

My podiatrist has been very helpful, but I found my physical therapist more helpful. She was able to take the time with me I needed and after seeing patients for 10 years she knew a lot about what exercises to do and other various insights. Many here have been to a string of terrible podiatrists who kept pumping them full of cortisone and not telling them to stop the running ect.. which prevented proper healing. I still stand by my philosophy of locating a good foot doctor through a highly credible sports medicine group. The doctor I found deals with professional athletes who make their living from sports and definitely want/need to get better. He has been very conservative in his approach.

As for sports, I have recently invested in a good bike and have enjoyed it immensely. Some here have mentioned swimming. There was a conversation here about roller blading not aggravating things. Others have added weight training into their regime. Good luck to you and take my advice, don't over do it and tred carefully into whatever sport you decide will be okay.

WANDA on 7/25/99 at 00:00 (009032)

HELLO JOHN IF MY SORRY === PODIATRISTS HAD WANTED TO DO SOMETHING FOR ME OTHER THAN GET MY MONEY I DONT BELIEVE I WOULD BE IN THE SHAPE I AM IN NOW. FOR WHEN I WENT TO HIM AND TOLD HIM OF MY PROBLEM , FRIST THING HE DID WAS GIVE ME A SHOT AND $280 WORTH OF INSERTS MOLDED TO FIT MY FEET AND TOLD ME IT WAS OK TO CONTINUE TO WALK (WAS WALKING OVER 10 MILES A DAY AT THIS TIME LAST YR.) NOW DO GOOD TO WALK TO THE MAILBOX AND BACK. I KNOW NOW MY PODIAT. WAS A JOKE AND STILL IS, BE LEAREY OF THEM , I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK YOU CAN HEAL YOUR SELF IF YOU STAY ON THIS BOARD

Bill on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009161)

Jon-I sympathize with you. I have been coaching football and baseball for 20 years and just began PF on my left foot this spring. I have been doing some stretches and taking ibuprofen daily with some positive reults. I play golf frequently and have tried walking 18 holes. It begins to take its toll after 9! Using a cart is quite expensive, but...... What troubles me is how it comes and goes! It is really painful in the morning and after I sit for a long while (it must tighten up). But, sometimes it reappears out of nowhere when I am walking! I am going to continue with ibuprofen and increase the stretches before I do anything drastic. I believe in sports medicine clinics. I send my athletes to them instead of to a doctor for injuries, as they are more apt to get them back on their feet again. Most of them are staffed with physical therapists. Larger ones have specific PT's for different conditions. You might want to try that route. Anyway, I like cycling and swimming, so I have an alternative route to exercise, but I can't imagine not playing golf the real way-walking!!