Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Has anyone ever tried using crutches for a few weeks??

Posted by Lucy on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009043)

I'm recently diagnosed with PF--read all the advice on this message board, as well as Scott's document. Was wondering if anyone ever tried using crutches to take the weight off for several weeks or so. (Even if you had PF in both feet, you could take the weight off just one, and see if it gets better).

I am an avid runner who has been forced to find fitness alternatives (biking and swimming). Needless to say, I'm not very happy about it.

It's very hard to believe we can send a man to the moon, build computers with 500MHz processors, perform heart lung transplants, but can't consistently solve a nagging PF problem.

Re: Has anyone ever tried using crutches for a few weeks??

Bea on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009046)

Sorry to burst your bubble but as you get older you find out there are a lot of things that cannot be cured, that you just have to live with, the moon nothwithstanding.

Jenn on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009088)

I was in a cast for 6 weeks. On crutches, it was not a walking cast. I think it made the problem worse. I am a rugby player that basically got forced into retirement due to this stupid problem, so I understand your frustration. Sometimes I think if we were professional athletes, there would have been a cure. But read my post about the ossatron, that's the latest treatment I have gone thru. I've had pf for 3 years and just continued to ran thru it. I think that made the problem worse. I tried orthotics, icing, taping,stretching,anti-inflammatory, steroids-(oral), 5 cortisone injections, a night splint, and finally a cast. So hang in there, I am determined to play again.

Judy E on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009122)

Be careful using crutches. I fractured and dislocated an ankle 10 years ago. I had to use them for ten weeks, no weight bearing on broken ankle.

Crutches put a tremendous strain on your upper body. We tend to tuck them under the arm pit, but that can cause serious pinched nerve problems. I now have chronic neck and shoulder problems probably relating back to that time.

Get your feet up as much as possible, use ICE,ICE, ICE!! I have found that when my feet swell up, the pf comes on like a fury. At that point, I ICE, massage, use iboprophen cream , elevate, stretch and rest.

wendy2 on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009145)

Although my primary problem is now Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - the effort to reduce the pain is the same. I did give the crutches a bit of a go, but they put too much pressure on my wrists and arms. for times when the pain is especially bad, and I have to walk a fair bit - I use a cane...very hard on my ego, but it does help. Good luck!

Per, Denmark on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009238)

Hello from Denmark.
I Used crutches for 5 weeks recently and it didnīt help. For me I think it just sort of delayed the problem.
There seem to be a lot of different types of pf. problems so it might still do you good. But I am a university-sports-teacher and very active (well used to be) so at least we are simular in that respect. Also, I think, using crutches for to long you are at risk of getting other rather severe problems from not walking right (atrofy in muscles for instance).
Good luck to you whatever you do though.

Bea on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009046)

Sorry to burst your bubble but as you get older you find out there are a lot of things that cannot be cured, that you just have to live with, the moon nothwithstanding.

Jenn on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009088)

I was in a cast for 6 weeks. On crutches, it was not a walking cast. I think it made the problem worse. I am a rugby player that basically got forced into retirement due to this stupid problem, so I understand your frustration. Sometimes I think if we were professional athletes, there would have been a cure. But read my post about the ossatron, that's the latest treatment I have gone thru. I've had pf for 3 years and just continued to ran thru it. I think that made the problem worse. I tried orthotics, icing, taping,stretching,anti-inflammatory, steroids-(oral), 5 cortisone injections, a night splint, and finally a cast. So hang in there, I am determined to play again.

Judy E on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009122)

Be careful using crutches. I fractured and dislocated an ankle 10 years ago. I had to use them for ten weeks, no weight bearing on broken ankle.

Crutches put a tremendous strain on your upper body. We tend to tuck them under the arm pit, but that can cause serious pinched nerve problems. I now have chronic neck and shoulder problems probably relating back to that time.

Get your feet up as much as possible, use ICE,ICE, ICE!! I have found that when my feet swell up, the pf comes on like a fury. At that point, I ICE, massage, use iboprophen cream , elevate, stretch and rest.

wendy2 on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009145)

Although my primary problem is now Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome - the effort to reduce the pain is the same. I did give the crutches a bit of a go, but they put too much pressure on my wrists and arms. for times when the pain is especially bad, and I have to walk a fair bit - I use a cane...very hard on my ego, but it does help. Good luck!

Per, Denmark on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009238)

Hello from Denmark.
I Used crutches for 5 weeks recently and it didnīt help. For me I think it just sort of delayed the problem.
There seem to be a lot of different types of pf. problems so it might still do you good. But I am a university-sports-teacher and very active (well used to be) so at least we are simular in that respect. Also, I think, using crutches for to long you are at risk of getting other rather severe problems from not walking right (atrofy in muscles for instance).
Good luck to you whatever you do though.