Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FOOTWEAR

Posted by MaryAnneinMaine on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009049)

Are there any catalogues out there that cater to people with plantar fasciitis? With taping, magnets, and othotics, I can't seem to find shoes that do the job. And hell, I'd like them to look decent. Along with my PF I'm flat-footed to boot. From what I've read, I should never go bear-footed even in the shower. I need something besides sneakers to wear with dresses, a slipper with arch support , a arc supported wet shoe so I can go into the ocean with my kids. I can't afford custom othotics to place in all varieties of shoes. I need to keep up with my kids. Help! I feel so debilitated and unhappy!

Re: FOOTWEAR

Laura on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009058)

Mary Anne,
I sure haven't found a catalog that caters specifically to people with pf. What I HAVE found, though, are that some manufacturers make shoes that are very comfortable while providing the proper amount of support we need. By the way, I'm flat-footed, too, and I have also been told to NEVER go barefoot. Period! You need to give yourself plenty of padding in the heel no matter what shoe or slipper you wear. When I wear slippers at home, I put my orthotics in, then I place thin Dr. Scholl's insoles on top of the orthotics. Much more comfortable.

I did some internet research after hearing from my orthotist that I over-pronate (my feet roll inward). New Balance shoes have models that correct for that. Also, Birkenstocks provide a lot of support. If you find a shoe salesperson who is over the age of 20 and shows some sembelance of knowledge, they will be able to help you find shoes that will fit and look good.

Spenco inserts can be purchased in the better drug stores and are flexible but provide support. I'm not sure if they would hold up under water, though. You might want to get a pair of Birkenstocks for water use-ones with a strap around the back. Granted, the leather would get messed up, but I'm sure there are spray treatments you could use to keep it from disintegrating too much. I think I've seen water sandals at places like K-Mart - maybe the support in those would be adequate for short periods of time?

Don't give up - they're out there - you just have to look!
Good luck...Laura

Lee on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009064)

I like Mephistos, they have them in the nordstroms catalog. Kind of pricey, but they feel good.

Audrey on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009069)

Hi, I know how you feel, I have just been diagnosed with PF & have had a terrible time with shoes & sandals. Like you, I needed something I could wear that could get wet, the sports sandals were too uncomfortable with the strap at the back & not enough support. I just bought a pair of Birks that are not leather & can be worn in water, they come in really fun colours & feel great to wear. I found them on their web site, Birkenstock.com check it out. I also wear leather Birks to work now I don't care what I look like anymore, I need to feel comfortable. Good Luck!

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009075)

The thing about Birks is that they do not surround my heel and so it is more likely to pronate. When flat-footed that really is a must for the best support.

Sue on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009083)

To use around the house as a slipper, I wear a Mephisto mule(kind of a low heel clog)

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009084)

Hi MaryAnne

The Birks come in lots of different styles, sandals with straps round the backs, or closed with proper closed backs. I didn't buy the backless ones because they didn't feel comfortable on me, I needed that support. So, definitely try on lots of different styles if you can find a store selling them. I know they do mail order, not sure how that works for exchanging and so on, but probably worth asking.

Also, if you can get to Scholls try them. I have a pair as mentioned in another post - they are not exactly what I need for all day every day, but are comfortable enough for when I do pottery and I am sitting down most of the time. They were mega cheap on special offer reduced price which is great, because I don't mind if they get covered in clay and glaze drips!

jl

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009087)

I've been looking at the web sites for Birkenstock and Mephistos. What good is footwear that molds to your foot when your flat-footed and need built up arches!

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009113)

Hey Marianne! I hear you. I hurt all the time despite pt, stretching, orthotics, magnets, etc. Shoes are a problem. I always wear althletic shoes with orthotics. Even with dresses. Ugh! At least they understand at work... as I hobble along. Around the house I have found Halflinger wool/cork clogs (Birk idea) to work well. Dansko makes clogs and closed heel clogs than keep your foot from overstretching. Someone suggested referee's shoes. I don't know, though. Good luck.

wendy2 on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009144)

I hobble around work in dresses and my new balance sneakers. Looks goofy but I'm not willing to do anything to make my pain worse. Bought a pair of very sensible Naturalizer dress shoes last week. They were the ONLY pair in the store that were comfortable to try on. Less than 2 hours of wearing and I had sharp pains in both my feet - the shoes are going back. I might give the birks a try after reading so much about them, but they're really not practical for winters in Canada - wish I could find something semi-professional looking for dresses...I no longer care if I look like a granny in them or not. (No offense to all the grannies out there)

Herma on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009148)

Haven't tried Birks, but the Mephistos have great arch support. I too am flat footed!

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009163)

Should I try Mephistos or Birks without my orthotics? Will I have enough arch support? What shoes will hold my thick orthotic and still look feminine?(I feel like I have a block of wood in one shoe!)

Nancy on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009165)

I've been reading the responses to shoes and footwear.

I am a teacher, going back to school in a month. I am transferring to a new school and am not quite sure if they allow teachers to dress casually. At my last school, I could wear athletic shoes and the dress code was relaxed for teachers.

If I'm allowed to wear athletic shoes to school...I think I'll be okay for a while. But if not, I'm going to have to buy a pair (or two) of semi-dress shoes. That, or get a doctor's note to wear athletic shoes (which I will do if necessary).

My question is, does anyone make a good pair of shoes that offer support and cushioning at the same time? In the athletic shoes I wear now...I added gel pads (which did nothing, by the way). Does anyone make an insert for dress shoes? What should I look for when purchasing shoes? It's one thing to feel okay in them while standing in the store for five minutes trying to decide...it's quite another to spend long hours in them...up and down...off and on one's feet all day.

Someone mentioned a catalog. Would you email me and let me know how I might get such a catalog? I've only recently found out this horrible pain has a name...and any information is new information to me.
Thanks in advance for any help you might offer...
--Nancy

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009186)

Nancy, I presented similar questions along with my request for a catalogue to (email removed) They responded that their models: Holiday, Rush, Princess have removable insoles and for PF he recommends replacing them with Footfix insoles. You can request a cataloge from them at that web site. I know I will try a pair and place my orthotics in them. Read, read, read and be informed.

Jenny Lewis, London UK on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009203)

Hi MaryAnne

Not sure what you mean about moulding to the foot? My Birks are fairly rigid and although they soften up a bit after wearing, the supporting arches are still very supporting. In fact, I noticed my feet seem to have changed shape! I don't think I was flatfooted before, but now I have noticed they look different underneath. Most odd!

jl

Jenny Lewis, London UK on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009205)

Hi again, sorry, meant to put this in the other message...

The Birks footbed is VERY shaped for foot support and I cannot imagine it would be possible to put other orthotics in with them. No room, and even if there were, very uncomfortable I'd have thought.

Incidentally, in addition to the shoes and sandals, I bought a pair of blue rigid inserts. They are quite good too, not as comfortable as the shoes, but ok in some shoes and boots I had from those good old days before the pain arrived. In early January I had bought new shoes and winter boots, at the end of Jan I was in shrieking pain. sigh. So, with all those new shoes hanging around I decided to try the inserts.

jl

Raleigh on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009320)

I haven't found my Birks (can't fit orthotics) to be the best support for ME; however, they may work for you. I like the Dansko clogs alot for northern winters. I keep them at work (wear hiking boots in) and wear them with polar fleece socks or wool socks. Feminine, nope, but comfortable. I like the Danskos cause the clog sole is thick in not too flexible, but more flexible than wooded soled clogs. This strikes me as 'unfair': my mother has worn high heels all her life, and I have worn tennisshoes and sensible flats all my life and I'm the one hobbling around. Oh well! :) Let me know if you find anything comfy.

Laura on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009058)

Mary Anne,
I sure haven't found a catalog that caters specifically to people with pf. What I HAVE found, though, are that some manufacturers make shoes that are very comfortable while providing the proper amount of support we need. By the way, I'm flat-footed, too, and I have also been told to NEVER go barefoot. Period! You need to give yourself plenty of padding in the heel no matter what shoe or slipper you wear. When I wear slippers at home, I put my orthotics in, then I place thin Dr. Scholl's insoles on top of the orthotics. Much more comfortable.

I did some internet research after hearing from my orthotist that I over-pronate (my feet roll inward). New Balance shoes have models that correct for that. Also, Birkenstocks provide a lot of support. If you find a shoe salesperson who is over the age of 20 and shows some sembelance of knowledge, they will be able to help you find shoes that will fit and look good.

Spenco inserts can be purchased in the better drug stores and are flexible but provide support. I'm not sure if they would hold up under water, though. You might want to get a pair of Birkenstocks for water use-ones with a strap around the back. Granted, the leather would get messed up, but I'm sure there are spray treatments you could use to keep it from disintegrating too much. I think I've seen water sandals at places like K-Mart - maybe the support in those would be adequate for short periods of time?

Don't give up - they're out there - you just have to look!
Good luck...Laura

Lee on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009064)

I like Mephistos, they have them in the nordstroms catalog. Kind of pricey, but they feel good.

Audrey on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009069)

Hi, I know how you feel, I have just been diagnosed with PF & have had a terrible time with shoes & sandals. Like you, I needed something I could wear that could get wet, the sports sandals were too uncomfortable with the strap at the back & not enough support. I just bought a pair of Birks that are not leather & can be worn in water, they come in really fun colours & feel great to wear. I found them on their web site, Birkenstock.com check it out. I also wear leather Birks to work now I don't care what I look like anymore, I need to feel comfortable. Good Luck!

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/26/99 at 00:00 (009075)

The thing about Birks is that they do not surround my heel and so it is more likely to pronate. When flat-footed that really is a must for the best support.

Sue on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009083)

To use around the house as a slipper, I wear a Mephisto mule(kind of a low heel clog)

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009084)

Hi MaryAnne

The Birks come in lots of different styles, sandals with straps round the backs, or closed with proper closed backs. I didn't buy the backless ones because they didn't feel comfortable on me, I needed that support. So, definitely try on lots of different styles if you can find a store selling them. I know they do mail order, not sure how that works for exchanging and so on, but probably worth asking.

Also, if you can get to Scholls try them. I have a pair as mentioned in another post - they are not exactly what I need for all day every day, but are comfortable enough for when I do pottery and I am sitting down most of the time. They were mega cheap on special offer reduced price which is great, because I don't mind if they get covered in clay and glaze drips!

jl

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009087)

I've been looking at the web sites for Birkenstock and Mephistos. What good is footwear that molds to your foot when your flat-footed and need built up arches!

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009113)

Hey Marianne! I hear you. I hurt all the time despite pt, stretching, orthotics, magnets, etc. Shoes are a problem. I always wear althletic shoes with orthotics. Even with dresses. Ugh! At least they understand at work... as I hobble along. Around the house I have found Halflinger wool/cork clogs (Birk idea) to work well. Dansko makes clogs and closed heel clogs than keep your foot from overstretching. Someone suggested referee's shoes. I don't know, though. Good luck.

wendy2 on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009144)

I hobble around work in dresses and my new balance sneakers. Looks goofy but I'm not willing to do anything to make my pain worse. Bought a pair of very sensible Naturalizer dress shoes last week. They were the ONLY pair in the store that were comfortable to try on. Less than 2 hours of wearing and I had sharp pains in both my feet - the shoes are going back. I might give the birks a try after reading so much about them, but they're really not practical for winters in Canada - wish I could find something semi-professional looking for dresses...I no longer care if I look like a granny in them or not. (No offense to all the grannies out there)

Herma on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009148)

Haven't tried Birks, but the Mephistos have great arch support. I too am flat footed!

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009163)

Should I try Mephistos or Birks without my orthotics? Will I have enough arch support? What shoes will hold my thick orthotic and still look feminine?(I feel like I have a block of wood in one shoe!)

Nancy on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009165)

I've been reading the responses to shoes and footwear.

I am a teacher, going back to school in a month. I am transferring to a new school and am not quite sure if they allow teachers to dress casually. At my last school, I could wear athletic shoes and the dress code was relaxed for teachers.

If I'm allowed to wear athletic shoes to school...I think I'll be okay for a while. But if not, I'm going to have to buy a pair (or two) of semi-dress shoes. That, or get a doctor's note to wear athletic shoes (which I will do if necessary).

My question is, does anyone make a good pair of shoes that offer support and cushioning at the same time? In the athletic shoes I wear now...I added gel pads (which did nothing, by the way). Does anyone make an insert for dress shoes? What should I look for when purchasing shoes? It's one thing to feel okay in them while standing in the store for five minutes trying to decide...it's quite another to spend long hours in them...up and down...off and on one's feet all day.

Someone mentioned a catalog. Would you email me and let me know how I might get such a catalog? I've only recently found out this horrible pain has a name...and any information is new information to me.
Thanks in advance for any help you might offer...
--Nancy

MaryAnneinMaine on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009186)

Nancy, I presented similar questions along with my request for a catalogue to (email removed) They responded that their models: Holiday, Rush, Princess have removable insoles and for PF he recommends replacing them with Footfix insoles. You can request a cataloge from them at that web site. I know I will try a pair and place my orthotics in them. Read, read, read and be informed.

Jenny Lewis, London UK on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009203)

Hi MaryAnne

Not sure what you mean about moulding to the foot? My Birks are fairly rigid and although they soften up a bit after wearing, the supporting arches are still very supporting. In fact, I noticed my feet seem to have changed shape! I don't think I was flatfooted before, but now I have noticed they look different underneath. Most odd!

jl

Jenny Lewis, London UK on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009205)

Hi again, sorry, meant to put this in the other message...

The Birks footbed is VERY shaped for foot support and I cannot imagine it would be possible to put other orthotics in with them. No room, and even if there were, very uncomfortable I'd have thought.

Incidentally, in addition to the shoes and sandals, I bought a pair of blue rigid inserts. They are quite good too, not as comfortable as the shoes, but ok in some shoes and boots I had from those good old days before the pain arrived. In early January I had bought new shoes and winter boots, at the end of Jan I was in shrieking pain. sigh. So, with all those new shoes hanging around I decided to try the inserts.

jl

Raleigh on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009320)

I haven't found my Birks (can't fit orthotics) to be the best support for ME; however, they may work for you. I like the Dansko clogs alot for northern winters. I keep them at work (wear hiking boots in) and wear them with polar fleece socks or wool socks. Feminine, nope, but comfortable. I like the Danskos cause the clog sole is thick in not too flexible, but more flexible than wooded soled clogs. This strikes me as 'unfair': my mother has worn high heels all her life, and I have worn tennisshoes and sensible flats all my life and I'm the one hobbling around. Oh well! :) Let me know if you find anything comfy.