Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Taping directions

Posted by Wendy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009085)

It seems to me that the runners keep going by taping their feet to avoid further injury. I asked the podiatrist to show me how to tape my foot, and he blew me off with 'you can't do it by yourself.' I found Scott's taping discussion less than instructive. Does anyone have a simple way of taping and what tape do you use?

Re: Taping directions

Judy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009108)

Hi Wendy,

I have tried almost everything available as of now... however, while I am waiting for my ortho's to arrive (300.00), I have started taping my foot so I can at least walk without all the jabbing pain. I too also tried to make heads or tails out of Scotts article on this but it is confusing. What I am doing is basically making a figure 8 without the top of the 8. I put a strip of white athletic tape about 6 inches long at the ball of my foot and cross it over my arch and around my heel. I then to the same with the other side of my foot. I then stand on it and if it is too tight I can then loosen the tape around my heel before I put my socks, shoes, etc. on. I also put 2 small strips across the arch area over the tape going from side to side on my foot. It does take some practice and so far I have yet to get it just right the first time. However, I am getting close and have found tremendous relief when I find that right adjustment. At least I can now walk without limping. I also find that my New Balance sneakers left fairly loose( not tied too tight) helps make my foot feel better with the tape. Good luck...let me know how you make out. Oh, also after I tape my foot I put some prioxiam cream on my heel and rub it in being careful not to get any on the bandage.(I have a small area left exposed) It seems to help. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my insurance paid for the cream....they didn't pay for my ortho's. Go figure.......

Wendy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009112)

Thanks for your suggestions. How long do you leave the tape on and where did you buy the tape (also how wide is it)? I have some new orthotics coming in Friday and maybe won't need the tape once I have them, but this is a good reference for others too.

Alan on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009137)

I'm a runner that ruptured a pf a couple of months back. After not running for several weeks, I was able to start again with taping.

I start with the first piece of tape running around the side of my foot close to the floor starting from just behind the toes going around the heel and over to the other side stopping just behind the toes. All other tapes start and end on this first piece. I have high arches, so I then take a piece of felt about 2' by 2' by 1/8' and tape that to the underside of the arch to give it extra support. I tape it on tightly on the underside using about 3 or 4 pieces of tape all starting and finishing on that first piece. Then I take another long piece to cover that first long one. Then I cut another piece to fit across the top of the exposed skin on top of the foot, but then I lay it on the skin, left to right, upside down. Finally a long piece sticks over the upside down one, and then I continue it under the foot and pull it tightly back to the top. That's it. Sounds complicated, but it is not.

Tape I use is 'sports tape' that I've found in the supermarket. Its about an inch wide, white, and costs about $3 a roll. Good luck!

Jean on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009151)

I am allergic to the adhesive on the tape, so I ordered an 'Arch Brace' from one of those mail order catalogues. It is a stiff piece of material that goes on the bottom of the arch and is held in place by two velcro straps that go around the arch of the foot and attach on the other side. It seems to be helping.

john on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009168)

somewhere on this site i went to a web page that showed (pictures) how to tape your foot yourself.

judy on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009221)

Wendy,

Somedays I leave the tape on all day (from morning to night) and other days I will wear it for a couple of hours ...when I know I will be doing a lot of walking and then come home and put on my Birks. I buy it at any drug store...It is made by Johnson & Johnson but any kind will do. It is athletic tape and approx. 2 inches wide. Hope this helps. AND I especially hope my orthos help so I will not have to EVER do this again.!!!

Judy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009108)

Hi Wendy,

I have tried almost everything available as of now... however, while I am waiting for my ortho's to arrive (300.00), I have started taping my foot so I can at least walk without all the jabbing pain. I too also tried to make heads or tails out of Scotts article on this but it is confusing. What I am doing is basically making a figure 8 without the top of the 8. I put a strip of white athletic tape about 6 inches long at the ball of my foot and cross it over my arch and around my heel. I then to the same with the other side of my foot. I then stand on it and if it is too tight I can then loosen the tape around my heel before I put my socks, shoes, etc. on. I also put 2 small strips across the arch area over the tape going from side to side on my foot. It does take some practice and so far I have yet to get it just right the first time. However, I am getting close and have found tremendous relief when I find that right adjustment. At least I can now walk without limping. I also find that my New Balance sneakers left fairly loose( not tied too tight) helps make my foot feel better with the tape. Good luck...let me know how you make out. Oh, also after I tape my foot I put some prioxiam cream on my heel and rub it in being careful not to get any on the bandage.(I have a small area left exposed) It seems to help. I was pleasantly surprised to find out my insurance paid for the cream....they didn't pay for my ortho's. Go figure.......

Wendy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009112)

Thanks for your suggestions. How long do you leave the tape on and where did you buy the tape (also how wide is it)? I have some new orthotics coming in Friday and maybe won't need the tape once I have them, but this is a good reference for others too.

Alan on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009137)

I'm a runner that ruptured a pf a couple of months back. After not running for several weeks, I was able to start again with taping.

I start with the first piece of tape running around the side of my foot close to the floor starting from just behind the toes going around the heel and over to the other side stopping just behind the toes. All other tapes start and end on this first piece. I have high arches, so I then take a piece of felt about 2' by 2' by 1/8' and tape that to the underside of the arch to give it extra support. I tape it on tightly on the underside using about 3 or 4 pieces of tape all starting and finishing on that first piece. Then I take another long piece to cover that first long one. Then I cut another piece to fit across the top of the exposed skin on top of the foot, but then I lay it on the skin, left to right, upside down. Finally a long piece sticks over the upside down one, and then I continue it under the foot and pull it tightly back to the top. That's it. Sounds complicated, but it is not.

Tape I use is 'sports tape' that I've found in the supermarket. Its about an inch wide, white, and costs about $3 a roll. Good luck!

Jean on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009151)

I am allergic to the adhesive on the tape, so I ordered an 'Arch Brace' from one of those mail order catalogues. It is a stiff piece of material that goes on the bottom of the arch and is held in place by two velcro straps that go around the arch of the foot and attach on the other side. It seems to be helping.

john on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009168)

somewhere on this site i went to a web page that showed (pictures) how to tape your foot yourself.

judy on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009221)

Wendy,

Somedays I leave the tape on all day (from morning to night) and other days I will wear it for a couple of hours ...when I know I will be doing a lot of walking and then come home and put on my Birks. I buy it at any drug store...It is made by Johnson & Johnson but any kind will do. It is athletic tape and approx. 2 inches wide. Hope this helps. AND I especially hope my orthos help so I will not have to EVER do this again.!!!