Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Iontophoresis - has any tried it?

Posted by Linda on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009093)

My podiatrist has suggested using a six week program of iontophoresis, three times a week for 20 minutes each session. If any has any personal experience with this treatment, I would like to hear from you.

Re: Iontophoresis

Andi K on 6/11/99 at 00:00 (007715)

I'm curious about how the iontophoresis treatments work for you. I had them 3x/week for about 4 weeks and had no relief. While in Vail on a ski vacation, I visited a PT to keep up with the treatments. He said that since I had already had 3 cortisone shots and no relief, iontophoresis probably wouldn't benefit me either because he felt it worked on the same concept as the injections, ion. being a milder treatment. Good luck, I really hope this works for you.

Marilyn on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007873)

Andi K;I've had 4 iontophoresis treatments so far. My pain had lessened a little before I started P.T.I don't know if it's the treatments or just time. I've had this since October. I had my first cortisone shot at the end of November. The following week I had another. That got me through the holidays. Bu by Feb., the pain was horrible. Another shot, but no relief.I think it takes a very long time for the inflammation to subside. I think the pain I feel now is from the spur.I stretch, ice, NEVER go barefooted(which was hard for me;I was always barefooted(thus, this problem !!).I wear Mephistos.They're great.

Re: Iontophoresis - has any tried it?

Mary Ann on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009095)

I tried this for 3 weeks and recieved no relief of pain.

Sarah on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009103)

I tried it. Insurance didn't cover it. Expensive. Didn't help. For more info scroll back a few weeks because someone recently asked the same question and there were many responses. Good luck.

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009121)

No, haven't tried that; but in the same vein, ultrasound treatment helped to diminish the nasty scar on my left plantar fascia.

laurie on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009142)

i tried this and didn't believe i was having success but actually i did experience some increase in flexibility and also was able to walk with my foot flat on the floor after 9 sessions of iontopheresis. however, it did not alleviate the pain... i do believe you will experience at minimum some success with some of your pf symptoms, though you may not even realize it. looking back at my year long struggle i would recommend that you try to stay off your feet as much as possible to receive the full benefit of treatment as well as to help your feet heal up.

best of luck to you.

laurie

Sue on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009158)

What is Iontophoresis?

Sarah on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009169)

It is this contraption that looks like a battery pack. They hook the black and red wires up to your leg and the rectangle piece that has a mild cortisone type cream on it to your sorest spot on the heal of your foot. Then they turn it on and it sends the cortisone into your heel with electrical current. I posted that I used it about 4 times and it didn't really help. I will say that it did help for a day or two, but then the pain returned. Who knows how much these things help in the long run. I am able to walk in the malls and around and amusement park if I ice like crazy the day before and the evening after, and don't suffer from pf at the same level of intensity as many of the others who post on this sight. I consider myself lucky, but I have found this sight invaluable for providing me with a variety of resources that will hopefully keep my condidtion from getting worse. When I entered physical therapy my pain level was about an 8-9 and now it ranges from 0-3. That is success!!!! Good luck.

Andrea on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009288)

I tried it and found ABSOLUTELY no relief from it. But I only had a total of 6 treatements, 2 weeks 3X per week. I found acupuncture a better alternative. It of course didn't cure me but it took my pain from about an 8 or 9 to a 3-4.

vicki on 8/04/99 at 01:53 (009443)

Yes, I tried it 3X wk for 2 wks. I felt better, but was also staying off of my feet. All pain returned when I returned to work.

Andi K on 6/11/99 at 00:00 (007715)

I'm curious about how the iontophoresis treatments work for you. I had them 3x/week for about 4 weeks and had no relief. While in Vail on a ski vacation, I visited a PT to keep up with the treatments. He said that since I had already had 3 cortisone shots and no relief, iontophoresis probably wouldn't benefit me either because he felt it worked on the same concept as the injections, ion. being a milder treatment. Good luck, I really hope this works for you.

Marilyn on 6/16/99 at 00:00 (007873)

Andi K;I've had 4 iontophoresis treatments so far. My pain had lessened a little before I started P.T.I don't know if it's the treatments or just time. I've had this since October. I had my first cortisone shot at the end of November. The following week I had another. That got me through the holidays. Bu by Feb., the pain was horrible. Another shot, but no relief.I think it takes a very long time for the inflammation to subside. I think the pain I feel now is from the spur.I stretch, ice, NEVER go barefooted(which was hard for me;I was always barefooted(thus, this problem !!).I wear Mephistos.They're great.

Mary Ann on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009095)

I tried this for 3 weeks and recieved no relief of pain.

Sarah on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009103)

I tried it. Insurance didn't cover it. Expensive. Didn't help. For more info scroll back a few weeks because someone recently asked the same question and there were many responses. Good luck.

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009121)

No, haven't tried that; but in the same vein, ultrasound treatment helped to diminish the nasty scar on my left plantar fascia.

laurie on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009142)

i tried this and didn't believe i was having success but actually i did experience some increase in flexibility and also was able to walk with my foot flat on the floor after 9 sessions of iontopheresis. however, it did not alleviate the pain... i do believe you will experience at minimum some success with some of your pf symptoms, though you may not even realize it. looking back at my year long struggle i would recommend that you try to stay off your feet as much as possible to receive the full benefit of treatment as well as to help your feet heal up.

best of luck to you.

laurie

Sue on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009158)

What is Iontophoresis?

Sarah on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009169)

It is this contraption that looks like a battery pack. They hook the black and red wires up to your leg and the rectangle piece that has a mild cortisone type cream on it to your sorest spot on the heal of your foot. Then they turn it on and it sends the cortisone into your heel with electrical current. I posted that I used it about 4 times and it didn't really help. I will say that it did help for a day or two, but then the pain returned. Who knows how much these things help in the long run. I am able to walk in the malls and around and amusement park if I ice like crazy the day before and the evening after, and don't suffer from pf at the same level of intensity as many of the others who post on this sight. I consider myself lucky, but I have found this sight invaluable for providing me with a variety of resources that will hopefully keep my condidtion from getting worse. When I entered physical therapy my pain level was about an 8-9 and now it ranges from 0-3. That is success!!!! Good luck.

Andrea on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009288)

I tried it and found ABSOLUTELY no relief from it. But I only had a total of 6 treatements, 2 weeks 3X per week. I found acupuncture a better alternative. It of course didn't cure me but it took my pain from about an 8 or 9 to a 3-4.

vicki on 8/04/99 at 01:53 (009443)

Yes, I tried it 3X wk for 2 wks. I felt better, but was also staying off of my feet. All pain returned when I returned to work.