Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

We need to face facts - no cure!!!

Posted by Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009094)

I reached an epiphany yesterday. After having PF in both feet for 2 years and having to give up an active life, that is, walking more than two blocks, I realized that just like other folks with chronic diseases, we have to stop throwing money at this problem and just accept our life changes and get on with it. I've tried every cure/treatment listed here except surgery from the scientific to the bogus and nothing helps for long. I've thrown over $1500 at the problem in shoes, splints, casts, treatments, shots, meds, etc., etc. and none helps. Plantar fasciitis is a chronic condition and once you have it - you have it (especially the chronic form)!! That's all folks.... Maybe we should put more emphasis on how to live with it, supporting each other and possibly forming a national organization that could do this as well as making the medical community more aware of the impact of this disorder. I am frankly tired of trying new treatments that don't work and have to get on with my life - changed as it is. I know this message won't cheer anyone up but it is the truth. Sorry!

Re: We need to face facts - no cure!!!

barb on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009104)

barb on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009105)

Thanks for the good news....!! I am still at the point of trying everything... Orthotics x 2 ; night splints ; a million pair of new shoes;
anti-inflamatory creams.. Last night I found this web site... Today I went to another shoe store... only $130.00 for my new sandals..
I'm at my wits end!!

Wendy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009109)

I would disagree with your attitude. We don't always find the right doctor the first time and we don't always respond to treatment the same way, but this is no more incurable than any other 'itis' which means inflamation. For some reason, (injury, overweight, flat feet, pronation, heredity) the facia is damaged and inflamed, hence, plantar fasciitis. The sooner treated properly, the better the results, and that is where athletes have one up on some of us---they know how to listen to their bodies and respond in a meaningful manner. But I'm sure not giving up....nor do I think many who are following the day to day messages posted here are. Let's keep up the helpful hints, the consoling thoughts, and the sharing of possible reliefs.

Judy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009111)

Amen to that Barb!! What about all the people who have been cured?????????????? AND there are plently!!!!!!!!! You just have to keep trying different things...you will find something that will work for you. Keep the faith and think postive!!! There is always someone who is MUCH worse off than you.

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009115)

I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. (and no pf, either!. Joking aside, keep trying!

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009116)

This is a little off the wall, but I tried the Atkins Low Carbohydrate diet, and my pf and associated myofascial pain was a lot less. I went off the diet, it came back, I am going to try it again and see if it was an artifact or for real.

Laura on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009123)

Letty,
I disagree with you. Sure, for some people, there is no cure. But, for others, there is. No sweeping statements can be fully accurate. I think this is a very individual problem, and what works for one person will be totally ineffective for another. I'm sorry you've reached this conclusion, but I think many others can justifiably have hope of a cure for themselves. I hope you can find some relief from your pain...that's what we all hope for.
Best wishes to you.
Laura

Martha D. on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009134)

I was waiting until a little more time passed before I posted this but with so many others hurting I will mention it now. After suffering with PF for right at 1 year something happened starting 3 weeks ago and my feet are at least 90% improved. I have been doing the stretching, orthodics, the good shoes etc. and tried acupuncture and various other remedies with no results. A cousin of mine who is also 60 had been suffering with foot pain and other related things for several years and she insisted her doctor give her B12 shots. She got better within 2 weeks. I asked my doctor to give me a B12 shot and she did (a month ago). She tested my blood to see if I was low on B12 and called in a couple of days and said I was not low and didn't need the monthly shot. I started feeling better about a week or so after the shot, not just my PF but leg pains, fatigue etc. I
walked 2 miles on a recent trip with no problem. I haven't felt this good in years. I can't say for sure if this was the reason I am better but it isn't the placebo effect because I was sure several of my other remedies would work and they did not. I had been on a B complex for years and other vitamins but B12 often will not be absorbed in the stomach. It is worth a try. Most doctors would not refuse one shot at least and it doesn't cost that much. I will post again if I continue to do this well.

Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009138)

I appreciate your support but you all just don't get it. For me, holding out the chance that one more pair of sandals, or one more supplement, or one more stretch is going to solve this problem depresses me more than just accepting the condition for what it is. My husband is a neurologist so I am scientifically oriented and understand about the science of it all. He deals with patients with long-term debilitating diseases for which there is no cure. We (PF) sufferers have a condition that once it passes into the chronic phase is generally incurable. Surgery helps some people but can also ruin your life even further. It is luckily not a life-threatening disorder however it can totally change your life. I was a long distance walker prior to this condition and will never be able to do that again. I have many other joys in my life and just have to accept that I have this problem.

I'm tired of being depressed over its effects on my life and want to get on with it. If you follow Scott's treatment, you will notice that he also has found no cure just treatment that may alleviate some of the symptoms. It is wonderful that he administers this fantastic site so that we can share ideas and commiserate. But it can also be very expensive and discouraging to try all kinds of treatments and find they do not work.

I have a file cabinet and a dresser drawer full of the failed orthotics, heel pads, tape, ankle supports, splints, casts, creams, etc. and I am not going to do that any more. Stretching, some icing, hot foot baths, taping and Birks help to make it possible to walk at all but they are not a cure. Thanks for all your input!

Sue on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009156)

What sandals did you buy?

Bobette on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009176)

Thank goodness we can all choose to believe what we wish and we simply feel as we feel about any given subject. It is my choice to believe that there will be a cure found for PF. It all begins with knowledgeable people sharing ideas, successes and failures such as done through this site. If 'I' were to believe otherwise, I would be thouroughly depressed. Nothing works 100% of the time for 100% of the population...As I have stated before, through others sharing their own success and failures through this site, I am enjoying some relief from my own pain and I'm looking forward to some of the suggestions I've not yet tried...too each his own. I do agree, however, that we should respect each others feelings, otherwise we risk a breakdown in our ability to communicate openly. Thanks to all for their sharing of knowledge!

Robin on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009184)

Letty, I hear you. I sort of share your feelings too. I'm not throwing in the towel -- but I AM quite weary of trying this and that, this and that, only to achieve minor success.

Like you, I have begun to commit the major portion of my energy to living my life, not thinking about my feet. I do what I can with Birks and occasionally icing and Bromelain and GS and a sensible near vegetarian diet. But like you, I cannot spend all my discretionary income on my fet and all my discretionary energy on my feet. Too much of life is passing by -- and I would rather dedicate my time to participating in it to the extent that I can (even if that is more limited than it used to be).

I thought some of the feedback you got on this post was somewhat harsh cheerleading. Personally, if anyone came up with a bonafide cure for this nasty condition, I would kill to be first in line to obtain it. But like you, I no longer care to be first in line to try something unproved and untested. I might or might not, try it, depending on other priorities in my life. My personal belief is that there is no 'cure ' for many disorders of connective tissue, although I believe there are definitely treatments that work effectively for some, not for others. I pay less and less attention when someone jumps on this board heralding one remedy -- acupuncture, PT, diet, whatever -- because I don't believe one remedy works for the masses. It works for some. I may yet find my remedy -- I sure hope so. I hope you find yours too. Meanwhile, I share your feelings about participating in life and managing to keep PF in the background as much as possible.

Jane on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009190)

I have suffered for 5 years with PF and spent A LOT of my time trying to cure it. I finally decided I needed to learn to live with it or would drive myself crazy and into a deep depression. I try to go on with my life, changing what is necessary to accomodate my feet. I am back in school to become a computer programmer (desk job). I regulate what I do by what my feet say. But.....I still occasionally seek a new treatment or try an old one now and then with hopes that something will lessen the pain. I was very excited to have found this site and to know I am not the only one in this world with this. And maybe, just maybe someday something will help. I am learning to live with this and dont spend anywhere near as much time trying to cure it as I did; however, I still remain open to the possibility of a cure or at least a little relief. For those of you who are newly diagnosed or have only had this a couple years...Keep trying...People are cured from PF everyday. There are a lot of us who still suffer but there are a lot of success stories that you don't hear about.

Judy E on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009193)

I realized several weeks ago that I probably have a 'chronic' condition that I will have to learn to work around.

Since that time, my MENTAL health has improved! I was finding myself depressed and frustrated. When I finally accepted my 'condition' as something that might or might not be healed, I started feeling more in control and ready to adapt rather than running around trying every 'new' thing that come on the market - that 'magic bullet' that would 'cure' this disability.

Thanks Letty.

Re: We need to face facts -I'm with you Letty

Bea on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009196)

I'm with you Letty and am betting you are closer to being a senior than a young person. As ones gets older we go through stages. First stage we can cure things, second stage we patch and then the third we learn to live with whatever the problem is. After years of this I also realize that I am not going to cure this, just hope I can soothe it enough to get by. Good luck Letty, hope you can control the pain.

Letty on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009200)

Good luck to you also Bea! Yes, I am 58 almost 59 and perhaps one of the things we learn with age is acceptance. I have been surprised at the hostility leveled at me for suggesting their is no 'cure' at this time for PF. I realize that many of the folks on this board are young and the idea of having this all their lives is dreadful and produced alot of hostility. For me it has meant the loss of my ability to keep my weight down and do good cardiovascular exercise because I have coronary artery disease. I am losing out on all the wonderful hikes in the Cascades in Washinton State that my husband and I took regularly before this came to be. But I can't change this situation and must find new ways to find contentment and enjoyment. Thanks for your post.

Barb Lundeen on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009229)

Hi Letty - Boy, did you open a can of worms - I just want everyone here to know that I have been 'cured' at least 30 times - I hurt my heels when I was in my early 40's and I am now going on 70 - Being as I only found this site about 4 months ago, I spent most of those years never having any idea that anything was wrong with my feet other than that my heels hurt any time I overdid - It would go away for long periods of time, sometimes 2 years, but it always came back and still does. I have never had the time to do anything but 'get over it' so I gritted my teeth and rubbed my feet and life went on - luckily I have always had a desk job so that helped a lot - I vaguely noticed that when I wore my 3' heels (about 80% of the time) my feet didn't hurt as bad as when I wore thongs or went barefooted - Used to get some mean shin cramps at night too - Anyhow, found this board and realized that I was/am not alone in that my feet hurt - I still kind of ignore it - the intense bouts are not too often and the other I can live with - but I would surely agree that this is a chronic problem!!!! I have taken vitamins and supplements for years and am in wonderful health otherwise so I have mentally chalked this up to being a big fat annoyance and being as I live alone and have no-one to complain to but myself, I just try to ignore it as much as possible and do the things I love to do - If I choose to go to the 'mall' for 4 hours, I know I'm going to pay so I make the choice up front. I think a healthy happy attitude has a lot to do with keeping the foot problem somewhat in check. Good luck everyone - BE HAPPY!!!!

barb on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009104)

barb on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009105)

Thanks for the good news....!! I am still at the point of trying everything... Orthotics x 2 ; night splints ; a million pair of new shoes;
anti-inflamatory creams.. Last night I found this web site... Today I went to another shoe store... only $130.00 for my new sandals..
I'm at my wits end!!

Wendy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009109)

I would disagree with your attitude. We don't always find the right doctor the first time and we don't always respond to treatment the same way, but this is no more incurable than any other 'itis' which means inflamation. For some reason, (injury, overweight, flat feet, pronation, heredity) the facia is damaged and inflamed, hence, plantar fasciitis. The sooner treated properly, the better the results, and that is where athletes have one up on some of us---they know how to listen to their bodies and respond in a meaningful manner. But I'm sure not giving up....nor do I think many who are following the day to day messages posted here are. Let's keep up the helpful hints, the consoling thoughts, and the sharing of possible reliefs.

Judy on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009111)

Amen to that Barb!! What about all the people who have been cured?????????????? AND there are plently!!!!!!!!! You just have to keep trying different things...you will find something that will work for you. Keep the faith and think postive!!! There is always someone who is MUCH worse off than you.

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009115)

I was sad because I had no shoes, until I met a man who had no feet. (and no pf, either!. Joking aside, keep trying!

Raleigh on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009116)

This is a little off the wall, but I tried the Atkins Low Carbohydrate diet, and my pf and associated myofascial pain was a lot less. I went off the diet, it came back, I am going to try it again and see if it was an artifact or for real.

Laura on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009123)

Letty,
I disagree with you. Sure, for some people, there is no cure. But, for others, there is. No sweeping statements can be fully accurate. I think this is a very individual problem, and what works for one person will be totally ineffective for another. I'm sorry you've reached this conclusion, but I think many others can justifiably have hope of a cure for themselves. I hope you can find some relief from your pain...that's what we all hope for.
Best wishes to you.
Laura

Martha D. on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009134)

I was waiting until a little more time passed before I posted this but with so many others hurting I will mention it now. After suffering with PF for right at 1 year something happened starting 3 weeks ago and my feet are at least 90% improved. I have been doing the stretching, orthodics, the good shoes etc. and tried acupuncture and various other remedies with no results. A cousin of mine who is also 60 had been suffering with foot pain and other related things for several years and she insisted her doctor give her B12 shots. She got better within 2 weeks. I asked my doctor to give me a B12 shot and she did (a month ago). She tested my blood to see if I was low on B12 and called in a couple of days and said I was not low and didn't need the monthly shot. I started feeling better about a week or so after the shot, not just my PF but leg pains, fatigue etc. I
walked 2 miles on a recent trip with no problem. I haven't felt this good in years. I can't say for sure if this was the reason I am better but it isn't the placebo effect because I was sure several of my other remedies would work and they did not. I had been on a B complex for years and other vitamins but B12 often will not be absorbed in the stomach. It is worth a try. Most doctors would not refuse one shot at least and it doesn't cost that much. I will post again if I continue to do this well.

Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009138)

I appreciate your support but you all just don't get it. For me, holding out the chance that one more pair of sandals, or one more supplement, or one more stretch is going to solve this problem depresses me more than just accepting the condition for what it is. My husband is a neurologist so I am scientifically oriented and understand about the science of it all. He deals with patients with long-term debilitating diseases for which there is no cure. We (PF) sufferers have a condition that once it passes into the chronic phase is generally incurable. Surgery helps some people but can also ruin your life even further. It is luckily not a life-threatening disorder however it can totally change your life. I was a long distance walker prior to this condition and will never be able to do that again. I have many other joys in my life and just have to accept that I have this problem.

I'm tired of being depressed over its effects on my life and want to get on with it. If you follow Scott's treatment, you will notice that he also has found no cure just treatment that may alleviate some of the symptoms. It is wonderful that he administers this fantastic site so that we can share ideas and commiserate. But it can also be very expensive and discouraging to try all kinds of treatments and find they do not work.

I have a file cabinet and a dresser drawer full of the failed orthotics, heel pads, tape, ankle supports, splints, casts, creams, etc. and I am not going to do that any more. Stretching, some icing, hot foot baths, taping and Birks help to make it possible to walk at all but they are not a cure. Thanks for all your input!

Sue on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009156)

What sandals did you buy?

Bobette on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009176)

Thank goodness we can all choose to believe what we wish and we simply feel as we feel about any given subject. It is my choice to believe that there will be a cure found for PF. It all begins with knowledgeable people sharing ideas, successes and failures such as done through this site. If 'I' were to believe otherwise, I would be thouroughly depressed. Nothing works 100% of the time for 100% of the population...As I have stated before, through others sharing their own success and failures through this site, I am enjoying some relief from my own pain and I'm looking forward to some of the suggestions I've not yet tried...too each his own. I do agree, however, that we should respect each others feelings, otherwise we risk a breakdown in our ability to communicate openly. Thanks to all for their sharing of knowledge!

Robin on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009184)

Letty, I hear you. I sort of share your feelings too. I'm not throwing in the towel -- but I AM quite weary of trying this and that, this and that, only to achieve minor success.

Like you, I have begun to commit the major portion of my energy to living my life, not thinking about my feet. I do what I can with Birks and occasionally icing and Bromelain and GS and a sensible near vegetarian diet. But like you, I cannot spend all my discretionary income on my fet and all my discretionary energy on my feet. Too much of life is passing by -- and I would rather dedicate my time to participating in it to the extent that I can (even if that is more limited than it used to be).

I thought some of the feedback you got on this post was somewhat harsh cheerleading. Personally, if anyone came up with a bonafide cure for this nasty condition, I would kill to be first in line to obtain it. But like you, I no longer care to be first in line to try something unproved and untested. I might or might not, try it, depending on other priorities in my life. My personal belief is that there is no 'cure ' for many disorders of connective tissue, although I believe there are definitely treatments that work effectively for some, not for others. I pay less and less attention when someone jumps on this board heralding one remedy -- acupuncture, PT, diet, whatever -- because I don't believe one remedy works for the masses. It works for some. I may yet find my remedy -- I sure hope so. I hope you find yours too. Meanwhile, I share your feelings about participating in life and managing to keep PF in the background as much as possible.

Jane on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009190)

I have suffered for 5 years with PF and spent A LOT of my time trying to cure it. I finally decided I needed to learn to live with it or would drive myself crazy and into a deep depression. I try to go on with my life, changing what is necessary to accomodate my feet. I am back in school to become a computer programmer (desk job). I regulate what I do by what my feet say. But.....I still occasionally seek a new treatment or try an old one now and then with hopes that something will lessen the pain. I was very excited to have found this site and to know I am not the only one in this world with this. And maybe, just maybe someday something will help. I am learning to live with this and dont spend anywhere near as much time trying to cure it as I did; however, I still remain open to the possibility of a cure or at least a little relief. For those of you who are newly diagnosed or have only had this a couple years...Keep trying...People are cured from PF everyday. There are a lot of us who still suffer but there are a lot of success stories that you don't hear about.

Judy E on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009193)

I realized several weeks ago that I probably have a 'chronic' condition that I will have to learn to work around.

Since that time, my MENTAL health has improved! I was finding myself depressed and frustrated. When I finally accepted my 'condition' as something that might or might not be healed, I started feeling more in control and ready to adapt rather than running around trying every 'new' thing that come on the market - that 'magic bullet' that would 'cure' this disability.

Thanks Letty.

Bea on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009196)

I'm with you Letty and am betting you are closer to being a senior than a young person. As ones gets older we go through stages. First stage we can cure things, second stage we patch and then the third we learn to live with whatever the problem is. After years of this I also realize that I am not going to cure this, just hope I can soothe it enough to get by. Good luck Letty, hope you can control the pain.

Letty on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009200)

Good luck to you also Bea! Yes, I am 58 almost 59 and perhaps one of the things we learn with age is acceptance. I have been surprised at the hostility leveled at me for suggesting their is no 'cure' at this time for PF. I realize that many of the folks on this board are young and the idea of having this all their lives is dreadful and produced alot of hostility. For me it has meant the loss of my ability to keep my weight down and do good cardiovascular exercise because I have coronary artery disease. I am losing out on all the wonderful hikes in the Cascades in Washinton State that my husband and I took regularly before this came to be. But I can't change this situation and must find new ways to find contentment and enjoyment. Thanks for your post.

Barb Lundeen on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009229)

Hi Letty - Boy, did you open a can of worms - I just want everyone here to know that I have been 'cured' at least 30 times - I hurt my heels when I was in my early 40's and I am now going on 70 - Being as I only found this site about 4 months ago, I spent most of those years never having any idea that anything was wrong with my feet other than that my heels hurt any time I overdid - It would go away for long periods of time, sometimes 2 years, but it always came back and still does. I have never had the time to do anything but 'get over it' so I gritted my teeth and rubbed my feet and life went on - luckily I have always had a desk job so that helped a lot - I vaguely noticed that when I wore my 3' heels (about 80% of the time) my feet didn't hurt as bad as when I wore thongs or went barefooted - Used to get some mean shin cramps at night too - Anyhow, found this board and realized that I was/am not alone in that my feet hurt - I still kind of ignore it - the intense bouts are not too often and the other I can live with - but I would surely agree that this is a chronic problem!!!! I have taken vitamins and supplements for years and am in wonderful health otherwise so I have mentally chalked this up to being a big fat annoyance and being as I live alone and have no-one to complain to but myself, I just try to ignore it as much as possible and do the things I love to do - If I choose to go to the 'mall' for 4 hours, I know I'm going to pay so I make the choice up front. I think a healthy happy attitude has a lot to do with keeping the foot problem somewhat in check. Good luck everyone - BE HAPPY!!!!