Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physiatrist

Posted by Audrey on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009107)

My GP is referring me to a Physiatrist rather than a Podiatrist or Orthopedic surgeon. Does anyone have any experience with a Physiatrist?

Re: Physiatrist

Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009139)

Physiatrists are physical medicine docs who diagnose and treat the types of problems requiring rehabilitation and physical therapy. There are not many physiatrists but in many communities today they do most of the EMG's and nerve conduction studies.

I also have been referred by my family practitioner on the recommendation of my husband who is a neurologist mainly for the nerve conduction studies to make sure I have plantar fasciitis and not some other condition, that might be correctable. I don't hold out much hope that this will change the diagnosis but I will let you know. My appointment is tomorrow.

Audrey on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009160)

Thanks Letty for your response, please do let me know how it goes with your Physiatrist.

Connie on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009177)

Never heard of this specialty but my medical dictionary says it's a branch of medicine that is concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of disease and disability by physical means as in radiation, heat, and electricity.

Please let us know the results!

Letty on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009201)

Connie - I saw the psysiatrist today and he did EMG/Nerve conduction studies on my feet. The test were normal which is typical for PF. He was testing to see if I had Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome or any neuropathies. The test involved electrodes being put on the lower leg and part of the foot and small electrical impulses were sent down the nerves. It just feels like a small electrical shock. Then they use small needles inserted in the skin/muscle near the nerves to test something. For me neither of these was very bad in terms of discomfort but I understand this varies with the person. I've been through alot of surgeries and so I have toughed with the years. If you have had the cortisone shots in the heels, you can take anything. This testing was minimal in terms of discomfort. Hope this helps!

Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009139)

Physiatrists are physical medicine docs who diagnose and treat the types of problems requiring rehabilitation and physical therapy. There are not many physiatrists but in many communities today they do most of the EMG's and nerve conduction studies.

I also have been referred by my family practitioner on the recommendation of my husband who is a neurologist mainly for the nerve conduction studies to make sure I have plantar fasciitis and not some other condition, that might be correctable. I don't hold out much hope that this will change the diagnosis but I will let you know. My appointment is tomorrow.

Audrey on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009160)

Thanks Letty for your response, please do let me know how it goes with your Physiatrist.

Connie on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009177)

Never heard of this specialty but my medical dictionary says it's a branch of medicine that is concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of disease and disability by physical means as in radiation, heat, and electricity.

Please let us know the results!

Letty on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009201)

Connie - I saw the psysiatrist today and he did EMG/Nerve conduction studies on my feet. The test were normal which is typical for PF. He was testing to see if I had Tarsel Tunnel Syndrome or any neuropathies. The test involved electrodes being put on the lower leg and part of the foot and small electrical impulses were sent down the nerves. It just feels like a small electrical shock. Then they use small needles inserted in the skin/muscle near the nerves to test something. For me neither of these was very bad in terms of discomfort but I understand this varies with the person. I've been through alot of surgeries and so I have toughed with the years. If you have had the cortisone shots in the heels, you can take anything. This testing was minimal in terms of discomfort. Hope this helps!