Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Mephisto Shoes

Posted by Martha B. on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009124)

Going to a Meph Store in Dallas on Thurs.Looking for something other than a tennis shoe-casual to dress-have high arch.As expensive as they are I need input.Any suggestion????HURRY WITH YOUR REPLY& thanks

Re: Mephisto Shoes

Martha B. on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009132)

OOPS!forgot to mention that I don't wear sandals.I read the many postings re Mephistos but almost all were in regards to sandals.Thanks again.

Herma on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009147)

Martha, I have two pairs of Mephistos and love them both. My favorite style is the 'Nonny.' Although you might consider this shoe a sandal (open toe and sling back), it is a little dressier and looks really nice with casual work clothes. I just returned from a trip to Chicago and was able to walk greater distances than I thought possible, thanks to this shoe. Mephistos do come in a variety of styles which are not sandals. There are several sights on the web where you can view Mephistos. One sight that I like is http://www.mephistodenver.com . Good luck!

Sue on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009155)

I have researched Mephistos alot. I also just returned from the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxenburg. About six months ago I bought a pair of Lydia model casual shoes because they were $200. reduced to $100. Many of the Mephistos don't come in several widths. This was true of the Lydia. They also were a straight flat heel shoe. Even though they were 1/2 price I still returned them. I also looked at the Holiday model, the high end walking shoe. I'm sure you will notice that they are a narrow fit. The week before I went to Europe, a knowledgable salesman suggested the Rush model as it is cut a little wider. I think it is the most expensive shoe Mephisto makes. There is alot of hyph about how it molds to your feet. Although it has a slightly raised heel, it is not enough in my opinion. I really can't rave about this shoe. It certainly did not improve the PF. For the price, it rates about a B. However while in Europe I bought a pair of Mephisto mules(kind of a low heel clog) They are excellent. Open toe open back. I use them as a slipper and find myself wearing them more and more just to get by, again no improvement but survival. I hope this all helps.. There are shoe stores which frequently have 20% off sales and include this line of shoes.

Sue on 2/06/99 at 00:00 (004559)

MiMi, we seem to be on the same track, maybe we will bump into each other at a shoe store
I have bought two pairs of Mephistos in the last two weeks. Lila for 50% off and their top of the line walker Rush for $40 off. As much as I want to make these shoes work, they don't. I feel they provide excellent support without the rigidity of the Birks. Unfortunately, the arch begins almost in the toe box and really bothers me.Where I really need the support is closer to the middle of my foot. I guess the French foot is different. I do feel the sole is the perfect mix of firmness and cushion. I really wish they would work. Perhaps they will fit you better. I have no interest in the SAS shoe or Ecco. I have had a fiasco getting fitted with Birks, but I pick up the right pair tomorrow.

Martha B. on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009132)

OOPS!forgot to mention that I don't wear sandals.I read the many postings re Mephistos but almost all were in regards to sandals.Thanks again.

Herma on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009147)

Martha, I have two pairs of Mephistos and love them both. My favorite style is the 'Nonny.' Although you might consider this shoe a sandal (open toe and sling back), it is a little dressier and looks really nice with casual work clothes. I just returned from a trip to Chicago and was able to walk greater distances than I thought possible, thanks to this shoe. Mephistos do come in a variety of styles which are not sandals. There are several sights on the web where you can view Mephistos. One sight that I like is http://www.mephistodenver.com . Good luck!

Sue on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009155)

I have researched Mephistos alot. I also just returned from the Netherlands, Belgium, and Luxenburg. About six months ago I bought a pair of Lydia model casual shoes because they were $200. reduced to $100. Many of the Mephistos don't come in several widths. This was true of the Lydia. They also were a straight flat heel shoe. Even though they were 1/2 price I still returned them. I also looked at the Holiday model, the high end walking shoe. I'm sure you will notice that they are a narrow fit. The week before I went to Europe, a knowledgable salesman suggested the Rush model as it is cut a little wider. I think it is the most expensive shoe Mephisto makes. There is alot of hyph about how it molds to your feet. Although it has a slightly raised heel, it is not enough in my opinion. I really can't rave about this shoe. It certainly did not improve the PF. For the price, it rates about a B. However while in Europe I bought a pair of Mephisto mules(kind of a low heel clog) They are excellent. Open toe open back. I use them as a slipper and find myself wearing them more and more just to get by, again no improvement but survival. I hope this all helps.. There are shoe stores which frequently have 20% off sales and include this line of shoes.