Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

medical community

Posted by pete on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009133)

i do agree with something letty said in her 'no cure' message...we need to make the medical community more aware and focused on this problem. obviously there are ALOT of people out there that have this condition which is very problematic physically, and emotionally. there are alot of us walking cripples out there, but the medical community doesn't seem to take this problem seriously, or have the slightest clue what causes it in many cases, and how to adress it, in spite of the substantial effect it has on the lives of chronic plantar fasciitis victims. There is obvuously some (unknown) reason(s)people contract this condition, and cannot get rid of it...maybe we need to form an association or something, and raise some money, and raise the awareness in the medical community and get some research and medical brain power more intensly focused on this vicious chronic problem! just a thought!

Re: medical community

Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009140)

I couldn't agree more. I am part of a medical family as my husband is a neurologist. It has been my experience that all the docs just seem to shake their heads and unfocus their eyes when they talk to us. This web site is our only real source of information. We know more than any medical doc, podiatrist, chiropractor, etc. I have carried Scott's 'book' from this site everywhere with me. Their eyes all seem to glaze over as they shake their heads and say 'its a difficult problem.' I can't blame them totally as there are problems in medicine for which there are no answers. Maybe a national organization would help researchers and doctors focus on the # 1 foot problem in America. I don't know how to accomplish something like this but I'm willing to be involved if enough other folks want to try.

pete on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009143)

i would have to believe there are thousands upon thousands of people who would be willing to make an annual donation to help support the overhead for an association that would then funnel the rest of the proceeds towards research and an effective cure.

john on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009166)

good post pete. i could not agree more there should be some sort of national organization to bring this problem to the attention of researchers and the public. PF seems to be a catch all for anything wrong with the bottom of the feet and probably is a number of diseases that are not diagnosed properly. Reading the various stories and treatments offered up by the medical community for hurting feet really does not give you great confidence. hurting feet and backs have always been the butt of many jokes. it is sure no joke when you have the problem.

john a on 8/09/99 at 14:10 (009597)

Speaking of numbers, does anyone have any notion of how many people in the US, Canada, and the rest of the world are afflicted by PF? Which countries get it the most, how it compares in magnitude to back pain sufferers, etc. Although I suppose that if no real studies have been done on PF, these numbers would be hard to come by.

Another thing: does anyone have the necessary connections or know how to go about getting a major TV network (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) to do a segment on PF? Seems they all do segments on every other obscure disease and condition, so why not PF. This would be a great way to get the word out and garner some much needed publicity. Hmmm, I wonder if any Hollywood stars have PF...

(I'm new to this board, BTW, and have been reading it for the past week. Great stuff here! I've had PF 'only' for 5 months, but it already feels like an eternity. I also seem to be in a decided minority of sufferers who can't even THINK of walking more than an eighth of a mile, let alone doing steperobics or, god forbid, running a 5k race. Maybe I'm just a wuss who hasn't yet learned to cope with the pain very well yet. I'm not overweight, and I haven't gained any weight from being almost totally immobile, but I have lost a lot of muscle mass and tone. I think gordon is right about forcing yourself to try to do some sort of exercise to improve your outlook on life if nothing else.)

Letty on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009140)

I couldn't agree more. I am part of a medical family as my husband is a neurologist. It has been my experience that all the docs just seem to shake their heads and unfocus their eyes when they talk to us. This web site is our only real source of information. We know more than any medical doc, podiatrist, chiropractor, etc. I have carried Scott's 'book' from this site everywhere with me. Their eyes all seem to glaze over as they shake their heads and say 'its a difficult problem.' I can't blame them totally as there are problems in medicine for which there are no answers. Maybe a national organization would help researchers and doctors focus on the # 1 foot problem in America. I don't know how to accomplish something like this but I'm willing to be involved if enough other folks want to try.

pete on 7/27/99 at 00:00 (009143)

i would have to believe there are thousands upon thousands of people who would be willing to make an annual donation to help support the overhead for an association that would then funnel the rest of the proceeds towards research and an effective cure.

john on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009166)

good post pete. i could not agree more there should be some sort of national organization to bring this problem to the attention of researchers and the public. PF seems to be a catch all for anything wrong with the bottom of the feet and probably is a number of diseases that are not diagnosed properly. Reading the various stories and treatments offered up by the medical community for hurting feet really does not give you great confidence. hurting feet and backs have always been the butt of many jokes. it is sure no joke when you have the problem.

john a on 8/09/99 at 14:10 (009597)

Speaking of numbers, does anyone have any notion of how many people in the US, Canada, and the rest of the world are afflicted by PF? Which countries get it the most, how it compares in magnitude to back pain sufferers, etc. Although I suppose that if no real studies have been done on PF, these numbers would be hard to come by.

Another thing: does anyone have the necessary connections or know how to go about getting a major TV network (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc.) to do a segment on PF? Seems they all do segments on every other obscure disease and condition, so why not PF. This would be a great way to get the word out and garner some much needed publicity. Hmmm, I wonder if any Hollywood stars have PF...

(I'm new to this board, BTW, and have been reading it for the past week. Great stuff here! I've had PF 'only' for 5 months, but it already feels like an eternity. I also seem to be in a decided minority of sufferers who can't even THINK of walking more than an eighth of a mile, let alone doing steperobics or, god forbid, running a 5k race. Maybe I'm just a wuss who hasn't yet learned to cope with the pain very well yet. I'm not overweight, and I haven't gained any weight from being almost totally immobile, but I have lost a lot of muscle mass and tone. I think gordon is right about forcing yourself to try to do some sort of exercise to improve your outlook on life if nothing else.)