Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

No known cure is what you mean

Posted by GORDON on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009154)

Yes we get it, but sorry Letty, you are not a scientist. A real scientist may admit that he does not know the answer but would never be so arrogant as to say there is no answer. That is what doctors do.

Doctors that administer to the general public do not practice science on people, they leave that up to the researchers. Most doctors, especially podiatrists, rarely, if ever actually try to determine the real cause of our problems, rather they treat the symptoms using what the researchers determined was the best cure. However, the human body is far to complex for the average doctor to actually thoroughly debug in the 15 minutes they allow per visit.

I have worked as an aircraft design engineer for over 12 years. When an airplane did not function correctly we would trouble-shoot the airplane, correct the problem, take the bad parts to a lab and recreate the situation and continue until we were sure that our supposed fix was indeed solving the problem and not just masking the symptoms (Lucky for the traveling public).

However, an aircraft hydraulic system is far simpler than the human body and so we had the time and resources to solve the problem.

It is too bad that doctors do not work this way, but I guess it simply is not practical.

Here, on this site, we use our collective brainpower to solve our ailments because our doctors (and ourselves as individuals)do not have the time or the resources to do so. We are not quitters and it is difficult to believe someone with a scientific background would hamper this effort.

This site is a place where we non-scientists can fumble along in the dark and maybe we will find something that works for just a few. Just because there is not a known cure does not mean there is not a cure, it simply means that the cure is not known.

I for one have seen my foot problems totally disappear for several months for reasons that are not totally understood. If we find patterns in this type of event amongst oursleves we may pinpoint further remedies.

For example; I have not seen or heard anyone say yet that cutting back on all simple form carbs did not help.

The fact that certain diets and supplements can make a difference shows that there is cause and effect and that alone tells us that this thing can be attacked.

With an attititude of the typical doctor, you are right. This thing is not curable. It is a good thing that not all doctors are typical. Have you heard the story of 'Lorenzo's Oil'.
Guess which part you would play?

Re: No known cure is what you mean

Letty on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009171)

To Gordon:

1)There is no need to get insulting unless I hit a sore point. I know it is not pleasant to think that the next treatment suggested on this page is going to be the 'cure' and that you may always have this condition.
2)I concede there is 'no known cure'. I thought that was implied in my post.
3)In reference to 'Lorenzo's Oil' are you aware that child die of his disease and the oil treatment only temporarily alleviated some of the symptoms.
4)A true 'cure' will only be found through carefully designed studies for any disease for which there is no definitive cure.
5)Regarding supplements and their 'proven efficacy', most supplements being touted as treatments in todays health market have not met the tests of carefully designed double blind studies but have only testimonials. There is no control over their design, manufacturing or quality control. Most of these supplements do nothing at all and some are outright dangerous. As someone famous said, 'there is a fool born every minute,' and this couldn't be more true where than today.
5)BTW, in case you didn't know, podiatrist's are not medical doctors.
6)I am not hampering any efforts to find a cure or better treatment, just the opposite. I proposed a national organization to focus treatment possibilities and possibly to further research in this area.
What I am upset about (personally)is trying all kinds of things that do not help, spending my time and money only to be disappointed.

Let's keep these discussions civil, please.

Re: No known cure is what you mean

Letty on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009171)

To Gordon:

1)There is no need to get insulting unless I hit a sore point. I know it is not pleasant to think that the next treatment suggested on this page is going to be the 'cure' and that you may always have this condition.
2)I concede there is 'no known cure'. I thought that was implied in my post.
3)In reference to 'Lorenzo's Oil' are you aware that child die of his disease and the oil treatment only temporarily alleviated some of the symptoms.
4)A true 'cure' will only be found through carefully designed studies for any disease for which there is no definitive cure.
5)Regarding supplements and their 'proven efficacy', most supplements being touted as treatments in todays health market have not met the tests of carefully designed double blind studies but have only testimonials. There is no control over their design, manufacturing or quality control. Most of these supplements do nothing at all and some are outright dangerous. As someone famous said, 'there is a fool born every minute,' and this couldn't be more true where than today.
5)BTW, in case you didn't know, podiatrist's are not medical doctors.
6)I am not hampering any efforts to find a cure or better treatment, just the opposite. I proposed a national organization to focus treatment possibilities and possibly to further research in this area.
What I am upset about (personally)is trying all kinds of things that do not help, spending my time and money only to be disappointed.

Let's keep these discussions civil, please.