Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cured PF after 3 years

Posted by Virginia on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009185)

Finally cured my PF in both feet with better streching technique. Almost no where is it written that streching tendons is different than stretching muscles. I now do specific achilles tendon stretches and the key is to hold the streches for progressively longer times. That is, hold them up to five minutes. You must start slowly, holding streches for 30 seconds, build in 30 second increments up to 3 minutes or more. Three minutes twice a day on each leg was sufficient for me.
I use the standing on the stair streches with the heel below the toes. Dont start out too extreme, but increase angle of strech gradually.
I've done ALL the other things ( tape, orthotics,ice etc. This works.

Re: Cured PF after 3 years

Wendy on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009187)

How long did it take to build up to the 3 min. stretches and how long have you been doing them? Am curious because the orthopediac doc told me to go for 5 min. at each stretch and I have been working at that for 2 1/2 weeks now. I see a definite improvement, but no 'cure' yet.
The podiatrist I saw first never mentioned stretches. Also, do you follow up with iceing?

Letty on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009197)

Could you describe in more detail exactly what kind of stretches you are doing? It would really help. Thanks for the info.

Wendy on 7/28/99 at 00:00 (009187)

How long did it take to build up to the 3 min. stretches and how long have you been doing them? Am curious because the orthopediac doc told me to go for 5 min. at each stretch and I have been working at that for 2 1/2 weeks now. I see a definite improvement, but no 'cure' yet.
The podiatrist I saw first never mentioned stretches. Also, do you follow up with iceing?

Letty on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009197)

Could you describe in more detail exactly what kind of stretches you are doing? It would really help. Thanks for the info.