Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Atkins' diet. . . .

Posted by Carol E. on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009231)

Basically, I think it is the elimination of SUGAR from our diets---that may be why your diet is working too(didn't you say that you have cut out sugar?)

I don't have any of the studies handy, but I have suffered from arthritis for years and I have read several articles that say that sugar agrivates arthritic symtoms. Since PF seems to be a connective tissue problem also, that may be why cutting out the sugar seems to be helping.

It's okay for you to disagree with me on the diet. I think you should do what works for you and I am going to do what works for me. Even medical experts disagree on treatments. I could be way off base here because I really haven't studied up on intestinal yeast like you have--but being a housewife and a bread baker, I DO know that yeast thrives on sugar--it looks to me like any food with a high carbohydrate content which raises the insulin levels in our bodies might just be feeding the very thing that you are trying to eradicate. I don't understand your comment. If you have an overgrowth of intestinal yeast---aren't you trying to get rid of it? Isn't starving it by depriving it of sugar a good thing? Geez, I sound like Martha Stewart!!! Ooopps!!! I just re-read your post and that IS what you are saying. Well, Geez! It looks to me like you are just about DOING the Atkins' diet! I also eat lots of lean cuts of meat, lots of broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, green beans, salad, etc. I'm just drastically cutting down on those complex carbohydrates until I get my weight down where I want it to be and then I will gradually add a few whole grains and more fruits and vegetables into my diet. Have you checked the glycemic index of some of those complex carbohydrates?

Then, of course, there is the issue of our feet not having to carry such a heavy load from the weight loss on Atkins---not that it HAS to be Atkins---if anyone else would prefer to lose it on an unsatisfying, starvation, low calorie diet, they are certainly welcome to it. I've done that(400-600 calories a day and walking 6 miles a day)for most of 30 years with NO real success. It's obvious to me that my body does not handle foods the same way thin people's bodies do. I'm just not going to do it any more.