Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fluid Retention

Posted by Judy E on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009265)

I have noticed that if I indulge in too much sodium, (chips, salted pretzels, 'fast foods', etc) that my feet swell and cause a real flare up of pf. The pf seems to be under control for the time being. I have been watching my diet a little bit more recently.

Has anyone else notice the connection?

Re: Fluid Retention

Robin on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009304)

Recently, I gave up caffeine and as much sodium as possible -- all salty snacks, diet sodas, etc. Now I'm down to almost no sugar, almost no flour products, no caffeine and as little sodium as possible.

I haven't really noticed a swelling or fluid retention difference, but I HAVE noticed less pain in my feet. Also started taking Bromelain about the same time as locking out caffeine and sodium, so it's hard to tell where the impact comes from.

Beth on 7/31/99 at 00:00 (009329)

Why did you give up caffeine?

roberta on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009367)

I went on a detox diet 3 weeks ago. I have eaten no sugar, wheat, processed food (oh I had some potato chips one day), caffeine or alcohol in three weeks.

My foot does not hurt at all!! Last week I spent 3 days digging in tennis shoes (a couple weeks ago I had to be wearing solid sole hiking boots for digging to be remotely bearable). And I walked about barefoot in my house for a couple hours on friday! I am beginning to feel like a normal person.

Sue on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009374)

So just what type of food did you eat?

Roberta on 8/02/99 at 16:09 (009398)

Lots of fruits and vegetables, grains - my favorites being millet, quinoa, and oatmeal, various protein sources - nuts, tempeh, some fish, beans, and fats - mostly flax oil and some butter (okay, maybe that's a little dairy). Starting this week I will be eating some more dairy yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs - I need the protein, otherwise I don't get nearly enough. You know, food.

Ivy on 8/05/99 at 10:16 (009481)

An interesting dichotomy re: fluid retention is that, if you're retaining water, you should drink more of it. This made no sense to me until I went ahead and tried it. Now, I drink at _least_ a gallon of water a day, and find that I REALLY feel it when I don't get enough fluid. (You need to make frequent trips to the loo for the first few days when you up your intake, but your body does adjust.)

Robin on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009304)

Recently, I gave up caffeine and as much sodium as possible -- all salty snacks, diet sodas, etc. Now I'm down to almost no sugar, almost no flour products, no caffeine and as little sodium as possible.

I haven't really noticed a swelling or fluid retention difference, but I HAVE noticed less pain in my feet. Also started taking Bromelain about the same time as locking out caffeine and sodium, so it's hard to tell where the impact comes from.

Beth on 7/31/99 at 00:00 (009329)

Why did you give up caffeine?

roberta on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009367)

I went on a detox diet 3 weeks ago. I have eaten no sugar, wheat, processed food (oh I had some potato chips one day), caffeine or alcohol in three weeks.

My foot does not hurt at all!! Last week I spent 3 days digging in tennis shoes (a couple weeks ago I had to be wearing solid sole hiking boots for digging to be remotely bearable). And I walked about barefoot in my house for a couple hours on friday! I am beginning to feel like a normal person.

Sue on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009374)

So just what type of food did you eat?

Roberta on 8/02/99 at 16:09 (009398)

Lots of fruits and vegetables, grains - my favorites being millet, quinoa, and oatmeal, various protein sources - nuts, tempeh, some fish, beans, and fats - mostly flax oil and some butter (okay, maybe that's a little dairy). Starting this week I will be eating some more dairy yoghurt, cottage cheese, eggs - I need the protein, otherwise I don't get nearly enough. You know, food.

Ivy on 8/05/99 at 10:16 (009481)

An interesting dichotomy re: fluid retention is that, if you're retaining water, you should drink more of it. This made no sense to me until I went ahead and tried it. Now, I drink at _least_ a gallon of water a day, and find that I REALLY feel it when I don't get enough fluid. (You need to make frequent trips to the loo for the first few days when you up your intake, but your body does adjust.)