Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does iceing hurt anyone else but me? . . . .

Posted by Brad on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009272)

Hi Carol

Icing hurts me too. It seems to do the opposite of stretching: it makes the plantar facia hard and stiff and it pulls worse on the heel. There is a survey on this web site where people list things that worked. If I remember right about 2/3s listed icing as helping.

Brad in Indiana

Re: Does iceing hurt anyone else but me? . . . .

wendy2 on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009218)

I think it's something you get used to (it's worth the effort). It used to drive me nuts too. Now at least once a day (in addition to the gel packs) I fill a plastic wash basin with 2 trays full of ice cubes and cold water. I stick both my feet in and watch TV for 20 minutes. Then I wrap my red feet in a towel and usually doze off while they're warming. This is not easy in the beginning but it is very effective. Impresses your kids too.

Sarah on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009222)

FYI The blue gel pack thing doesn't work for me. I have found more success with a ziplock bag (I bought a traditional ice bag with a screw cap) filled with ice that is ace bandaged to my foot. The ice gets the heel of my foot, up the back , and up the isde to my inside foot and ankle. I keep it on for 15-45 minutes. It makes a huge difference. I was forced to use the blue gel pack at my sister's for 2 weeks and my foot never really felt relief.

Jane on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009223)

I ice with a bag of frozen peas or corn with a thin cloth or pillow case over it. You should NEVER ice for any longer than 20 minutes at a time or it can have adverse effects. This could be your problem. Try only 20 minutes or less, (until you get a numbing type feeling) but never longer than 20 min. It still may not help but maybe give some temporary relief. It just gives me temp. relief.

Bea on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009226)

Iwould be very careful about having my feet in direct contact with ice. Use an ice pack but cover it with a DRY washcloth and plase don't put your feet in with ice. You can really hurt your skin without realizing it with direct contact with ice for any length of time.

Diane F. on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009249)

It does not do a thing for me either, found heat was better when my foot was hurting. Found a nice heating pad relaxed and made my feet go ahhhh :) When I did the ice was careful and not too long but it did not help and made my foot worse sometimes. So heat is for me. Like all things we have tried on this board, some work and some don't. With my birks sandals and blue insert, I am almost back to walking normal, but not cured, so will continue to be careful. But my life is better :).

wendy2 on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009218)

I think it's something you get used to (it's worth the effort). It used to drive me nuts too. Now at least once a day (in addition to the gel packs) I fill a plastic wash basin with 2 trays full of ice cubes and cold water. I stick both my feet in and watch TV for 20 minutes. Then I wrap my red feet in a towel and usually doze off while they're warming. This is not easy in the beginning but it is very effective. Impresses your kids too.

Sarah on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009222)

FYI The blue gel pack thing doesn't work for me. I have found more success with a ziplock bag (I bought a traditional ice bag with a screw cap) filled with ice that is ace bandaged to my foot. The ice gets the heel of my foot, up the back , and up the isde to my inside foot and ankle. I keep it on for 15-45 minutes. It makes a huge difference. I was forced to use the blue gel pack at my sister's for 2 weeks and my foot never really felt relief.

Jane on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009223)

I ice with a bag of frozen peas or corn with a thin cloth or pillow case over it. You should NEVER ice for any longer than 20 minutes at a time or it can have adverse effects. This could be your problem. Try only 20 minutes or less, (until you get a numbing type feeling) but never longer than 20 min. It still may not help but maybe give some temporary relief. It just gives me temp. relief.

Bea on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009226)

Iwould be very careful about having my feet in direct contact with ice. Use an ice pack but cover it with a DRY washcloth and plase don't put your feet in with ice. You can really hurt your skin without realizing it with direct contact with ice for any length of time.

Diane F. on 7/29/99 at 00:00 (009249)

It does not do a thing for me either, found heat was better when my foot was hurting. Found a nice heating pad relaxed and made my feet go ahhhh :) When I did the ice was careful and not too long but it did not help and made my foot worse sometimes. So heat is for me. Like all things we have tried on this board, some work and some don't. With my birks sandals and blue insert, I am almost back to walking normal, but not cured, so will continue to be careful. But my life is better :).