Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Run on Balls of Feet?

Posted by Janet on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009312)

Many of us walk on the balls of our feet in the morning. I am tempted to try to run that way because I miss running so bad. Anybody tried this?

Re: Run on Balls of Feet?

pete on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009314)

i think you'll end up straining your feet as they weren't meant to be run or walked on that way...in fact, that's what can contribute to pf...too much weight being forced on the front of the foot because the heel picks up too soon due to tight achilles and calves...that force then stretches the plantar fascia and voila...you've got pf.

Raleigh on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009324)

Careful, or you can end up with pf on the toe end of the ligament- it is called metatarsalgia or something like that; and to be honest I limp and gimp a lot more with this one than the heel version. I even have a hard time riding my horse, and that KILLS me 'cause that's my 'jones'. I think I may try rollerblading and biking instead of aerobics. (gonna ride even if my foot falls off...)

Roberta on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009363)

My pf hurts more when I run on the balls of my feet. have you tried taping? I can't run pretty much pain free when I tape. However, that was not true when my pf was really bad. When it's really bad I think you just need time off.

sorry

pete on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009314)

i think you'll end up straining your feet as they weren't meant to be run or walked on that way...in fact, that's what can contribute to pf...too much weight being forced on the front of the foot because the heel picks up too soon due to tight achilles and calves...that force then stretches the plantar fascia and voila...you've got pf.

Raleigh on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009324)

Careful, or you can end up with pf on the toe end of the ligament- it is called metatarsalgia or something like that; and to be honest I limp and gimp a lot more with this one than the heel version. I even have a hard time riding my horse, and that KILLS me 'cause that's my 'jones'. I think I may try rollerblading and biking instead of aerobics. (gonna ride even if my foot falls off...)

Roberta on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009363)

My pf hurts more when I run on the balls of my feet. have you tried taping? I can't run pretty much pain free when I tape. However, that was not true when my pf was really bad. When it's really bad I think you just need time off.

sorry