Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Try rollerblading!

Posted by Sandra Z on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009313)

I too missed running terribly, but got PF TWICE from running and was unwilling to take a third chance--it took me a long time (over a year) to get this heel pain under control a second time. I took up rollerblading and have loved it. You can get speed, can get your heartrate WAY up, be outside, and basically get all the benefits of running, including that 'runner's high,' from rollerblading. But the bottom of your foot does not bend when you rollerblade, and thus the plantar fascia isn't strained. I can't walk five miles quickly, but I can rollerblade that far without pain the next day!

Re: Try rollerblading!

David on 7/31/99 at 00:00 (009342)

I just got back from running my first race in 22 years and I am afraid that the PF pain I have suffered with off and on for 24 years will return.You see,I have grown progressively fatter through the years and have longed to return to running as it was the only thing that kept my weight under control.I have been pain free from PF for about a year.I stretch regularly.I have an original version of the Foot Flex.I have tried every treatment for PF that I knew of except casting and surgery.Recently,I started jogging again using the balls of my feet for landing.I thought this was a good idea.I quit using this technique when I got a slight pain on the medial side of both knees.I went back to the regular heel landing.All has been fine for 4 weeks.I really entered the race just to jog it,not race it and to experience the comraderie that I miss from my long career as a distance runner.I do so miss it.So anyway,I am writing to ask about rollerblading.Where do I check it out?How do I get started?You seem to be a person who was fond of running and found a like passion for rollerblading.

Re: Try rollerblading!

David on 7/31/99 at 00:00 (009342)

I just got back from running my first race in 22 years and I am afraid that the PF pain I have suffered with off and on for 24 years will return.You see,I have grown progressively fatter through the years and have longed to return to running as it was the only thing that kept my weight under control.I have been pain free from PF for about a year.I stretch regularly.I have an original version of the Foot Flex.I have tried every treatment for PF that I knew of except casting and surgery.Recently,I started jogging again using the balls of my feet for landing.I thought this was a good idea.I quit using this technique when I got a slight pain on the medial side of both knees.I went back to the regular heel landing.All has been fine for 4 weeks.I really entered the race just to jog it,not race it and to experience the comraderie that I miss from my long career as a distance runner.I do so miss it.So anyway,I am writing to ask about rollerblading.Where do I check it out?How do I get started?You seem to be a person who was fond of running and found a like passion for rollerblading.