Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Re: DMSO/MSM

Posted by Raleigh on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009316)

In addition to health food stores, DMSO can be purchased at tack and farm supply stores. We use it extensively in the horse industry. I have tried it, and it does do something (it feels like it takes the edge of the pain a bit). DMSO is a solvent, and it carries medication across skin membranes. It also smells garlicky; and when you get it on your skin you can taste it! MSM (a sulfur derivitive of same nature) is also purported to be an anti-imflammitory. My horse receives daily doses of MSM to help with routine soreness from training workouts; and he receives topical or intraveinous DMSO for injuries. I feel a bit leery of using it, but it might be worth a try. Check with your doctor/health professional first, though.

Susan Linden on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009323)

I have posted on here before, DMSO has terrible side effects in women of child bearing ability if they get pregnant. The birth defects are horrible. My husband is a chemical process safety engineer with Union Carbide and he get livid every time we go in a tack/farm store and he sees it on the shelf for anyone to pick up.

People do not read and heed warnings on lables. Look at the women that still smoke and drink while pregnant.

I have used MSM with my horse to reduce inflammation in his eyes from a disease he got that caused glocoma and corneal swelling. I was warned not to use it on myself for PF as there is concern that it can cause cataracts in humans. I would check with a good doctor before I tried it.

Remember folks, warning labels are there for a good reason. Wrecking another part of your health is not worth it to maybe get some relief for your PF.

Susan Linden on 7/30/99 at 00:00 (009323)

I have posted on here before, DMSO has terrible side effects in women of child bearing ability if they get pregnant. The birth defects are horrible. My husband is a chemical process safety engineer with Union Carbide and he get livid every time we go in a tack/farm store and he sees it on the shelf for anyone to pick up.

People do not read and heed warnings on lables. Look at the women that still smoke and drink while pregnant.

I have used MSM with my horse to reduce inflammation in his eyes from a disease he got that caused glocoma and corneal swelling. I was warned not to use it on myself for PF as there is concern that it can cause cataracts in humans. I would check with a good doctor before I tried it.

Remember folks, warning labels are there for a good reason. Wrecking another part of your health is not worth it to maybe get some relief for your PF.