Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

The issue of weight

Posted by wendy2 on 7/31/99 at 00:00 (009347)

The issue of weight comes up a lot with respect to both PF and Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome. If you are overweight it seems to make both conditions worse. I get the impression though, that a lot people really get down on themselves because they think that they are having foot problems BECAUSE they are overweight. My foot problems started when I was 11, when I was very tiny - less than 60 pounds. I've had two bad cases of PF and now Tarsal Tunnel syndrome, and I only weigh 110 pounds (I'm 30 now).

It's a good idea to try to maintain a healthy weight - for more reasons than just your feet, but please don't beat yourself up every day thinking that somehow you've caused your problems by being overweight. True, losing weight may help - but it's not necessarily the cause of your problems.

Re: The issue of weight

chateauveld on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009352)

I am a late 30's male diagnosed with PF. I play a lot of golf and this is when it happened to me. I am also on my feet a lot at work. Oh by the way I forgot to mention that I weigh 275 pounds and am 6-3. The pain at times is unbareable. I have invested in custom orthotics and magnetic insoles and have gotton considerable relief but the pain still remains (although-much more tollerable)

Could other people who have lost weight and gained relief please comment...

David on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009354)

I first got PF when I weighed 150.I was a very active runner and feel that the mileage run and the shoes I did it in were the problem as well as having high arched feet.Now I am 215 and have been pain free for about a year after having suffered off and on for 25 years.I even (maybe stupidly) ran my first 5K in 13 years yesterday.Today I still have no pain.I stretch regularly,ice occasionally and use a gel Heel Cup made by Implus.This cup by the way ,I use in my running shoes and in my street shoes.I want to lose weight but I have found that the weight is not the whole problem with PF.

Connie Sunday on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009357)

Hello: I am very happy to have found this site. I have a tremendous catechism of problems with my health due to bone spurs. I developed one in my right foot 10 years ago and had surgery. I was not able to stay off of it (I had to work!!) as I should have, and as a consequence, I have nerve damage in that foot, going to the toes (the little one has no feeling in the back), and a constant sense of 'pulling' to which I've become accustomed. Then I developed a similar spur on the other foot, but used a $2 plastic heel cup and the spur went away. However, for whatever reasons, I've continued to gain weight and have developed, over the last 4-5 years, bone spurs in the backs of my heels which hurt constantly. The more I've stayed off my feet, the heavier I've gotten, and now I not only have this terrible pains in the backs of my heels (which doctors have told me are inoperable, since they'd have to cut through my achilles tendon, and I might not be able to walk at all!!), but arthritis in my knees and hands.

I hurt all over and don't really know what to do any more. I've become a complete vegetarian (that was easy) and want to become vegan, in the hopes I can lose weight, and I do floor exercises and lift weight and ride a bike, but I'm still fat, limp, and am growing worse by the day. I'm very worried.

I've 49, 6'3' and weight in at about 280. What should I do? I've tried glucosomate, but nothing really helps.

Thanks!!

Mary Ann on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009364)

I know how frustrating this is for all of us. You seem to be doing quite a bit of exercise, that's good. With your arthritis, maybe water exercise would help. I know with the pain I don't feel like doing much at all. I too need to loose weight, have lost 26 lbs. and foot pain is some better. I am also taking a lot of the vits, etc. recommended here and also orthotics, so I am not sure of what has helped. For all our sakes, overweight is not good. It causes high blood pressure, more work for the heart, more work for the joints + many more health risks. It is hard. I don't know what to do about the heel spurs on the back of your heels. I would see other doctors for information. Sorry I can't offer more.

Per, Denmark on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009368)

Hello Connie.

I am sad to hear about your condition, and i would very much like to help. I have studied sports at university i Denmark, so - being a semi-expert - I might have some advice on how to loose weight (hoping that it might help you. Atleast it might make you feel better about yourself).
Figure out your approx. maximum pulse. The books say yours would be about 170 (220-age) but in my experience, your is probably nearer 180 bumps pr minute. Check you pulse while you are working out. Now contrary to widespread belief, if you want to loose weight, you should go at the highest possible pulse rate for as long as possible. Your body spents a lot of energy repairing your body after a very hard training, and hard training works your general blood supply much better. The downside is risk of injury, but in bicycling, this should not be such a big factor. Risk of dying of hartattack/stroke doing strenuous exercise should - according to a resent huge survey - also be very limited, and the warning signs are usually very salient: Severe chestpain, almost fainting, and the like.

Ideally you should work up to being able to go at 80-90% of your maximumpulse (maybe 145-160 for about 30-45 minutes maybe 1 or 2 times a week, and 70-80% for 1-1 hour at 70-80% of your maxpuls (probably130-145). Do proper warmup before (10 minutes) and cool down after (5-10 minutes; to 'wash out' lactic acid). Now this is a semiprofessional scheme, so being able to do this might take up to a year of practice. Start with 5-10 minutes at 80-90, and 20-30 at 70-80. Also, on a stationary, this hard a schedule is a killer;... you should bike in the streets if possible. The good thing is, if you pull of this long term practice-regimen, you body will feel perfect, and you will really start enyoing practicing.
If your arthrisis worsens, prioritate the time in the high pulse area if at all possible.
Another problem might be to much pressure om your sore heels. I cant bike this much myself at present. So if my condition continues, I plan on trying to develop a boot where you can pedal from the side of your foot. But this is way out in the future. Go do the exercise right now! Feel free to ask me questions at my address. Good luck.

PS- sorry about the poor english

Sue on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009373)

This is ideal if you were in good shape. I don't think any person with medical problems ie:overweight(depends on how much, joint problems,arthritis, and of course FOOT PAIN, and fairly inactive, is up to doping this much. Any amount is a start and increase as tolerated. I know when I had my severe heel pain,which seemed to cause other pains, the last thing I felt like doing was much exercise other than my usual,necessary daily duties.

Connie Sunday on 8/01/99 at 20:12 (009380)

Well, thanks to everyone for replying. I guess I should have been more specific. I've biked tremendous amounts over the last four or five years (lived in Davis, California with no car and did 4 miles to work, 4 miles home, etc.) Now I'm in Tulsa, OK, and there's no place to bike, I hurt too much to do much of anything, and I'm just in this downward spiral. I've decided to not eat after 1:00 except for fruit and vegetables, no meat of course, and the next step is going to be vegeanism. I've just got to lose weight. Walking or running, or even bicycling at this point, is out of the question. Sometimes it takes all I've got to get up and walk around, at all. Once I get going, I'm okay but still in pain.

What I'm concerned about is, if I lose the weight, wonder if the heel pain will go away? Wish I knew more about the clinical evidence on this.

You know, a lot of things can hit you at once, just normal life events, and it takes some work to manage it all; heel spurs, perimenopuase, weight, death and ageing of parents, mid life crisis, career crises. If I didn't have the support of my family, and if I hadn't had the good fortune to have had some opportunities in life prior to this, I don't know...I think in some ways I'm lucky. This is a lot of negative events to handle at once.

--Connie

Raleigh on 8/02/99 at 22:09 (009408)

Hey Connie! Sorry to hear that things aren't going so well. At least don't beat yourself up about your weight. Look at all the 'normal' weight athletes who get this syndrome!. Have you seen a doctor about possible thyroid problems? Tried acupuncture? Magnets? The Atkins Diet? Don't give up! (this is what I have to tell myself as I totter along like someone 60 years OLDER than I am... what I have to tell myself after giving up aerobics, running, walking... what I have to tell myself as my weight spirals upward). I am not going to give into this- we can all share ideas and therapy ideas. Hang in there, keep us posted. -Raleigh

Audrey on 8/03/99 at 08:16 (009416)

Ironic but my foot problem started after I had lost 20lbs on Weight Watchers?

Carol E. on 8/03/99 at 10:39 (009421)

There are many causes for PF. Some might inherit a tendency and some get it through some sort of injury.

I am convinced that I got mine when I suddenly gained 60 pounds in a 6 month period after my husband lost his job 5 days after we closed the loan on a half million dollar dream home!!! Stress does terrible things to me and my poor feet just couldn't take the strain.

You're right, we need to not beat ourselves up over it but even you can imagine the additional pain you would be suffering if you had to pack around four 25 pound bags of sugar everywhere you went!!! Losing weight might not cure the problem at this point but it HAS to help make the pain less.

chateauveld on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009352)

I am a late 30's male diagnosed with PF. I play a lot of golf and this is when it happened to me. I am also on my feet a lot at work. Oh by the way I forgot to mention that I weigh 275 pounds and am 6-3. The pain at times is unbareable. I have invested in custom orthotics and magnetic insoles and have gotton considerable relief but the pain still remains (although-much more tollerable)

Could other people who have lost weight and gained relief please comment...

David on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009354)

I first got PF when I weighed 150.I was a very active runner and feel that the mileage run and the shoes I did it in were the problem as well as having high arched feet.Now I am 215 and have been pain free for about a year after having suffered off and on for 25 years.I even (maybe stupidly) ran my first 5K in 13 years yesterday.Today I still have no pain.I stretch regularly,ice occasionally and use a gel Heel Cup made by Implus.This cup by the way ,I use in my running shoes and in my street shoes.I want to lose weight but I have found that the weight is not the whole problem with PF.

Connie Sunday on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009357)

Hello: I am very happy to have found this site. I have a tremendous catechism of problems with my health due to bone spurs. I developed one in my right foot 10 years ago and had surgery. I was not able to stay off of it (I had to work!!) as I should have, and as a consequence, I have nerve damage in that foot, going to the toes (the little one has no feeling in the back), and a constant sense of 'pulling' to which I've become accustomed. Then I developed a similar spur on the other foot, but used a $2 plastic heel cup and the spur went away. However, for whatever reasons, I've continued to gain weight and have developed, over the last 4-5 years, bone spurs in the backs of my heels which hurt constantly. The more I've stayed off my feet, the heavier I've gotten, and now I not only have this terrible pains in the backs of my heels (which doctors have told me are inoperable, since they'd have to cut through my achilles tendon, and I might not be able to walk at all!!), but arthritis in my knees and hands.

I hurt all over and don't really know what to do any more. I've become a complete vegetarian (that was easy) and want to become vegan, in the hopes I can lose weight, and I do floor exercises and lift weight and ride a bike, but I'm still fat, limp, and am growing worse by the day. I'm very worried.

I've 49, 6'3' and weight in at about 280. What should I do? I've tried glucosomate, but nothing really helps.

Thanks!!

Mary Ann on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009364)

I know how frustrating this is for all of us. You seem to be doing quite a bit of exercise, that's good. With your arthritis, maybe water exercise would help. I know with the pain I don't feel like doing much at all. I too need to loose weight, have lost 26 lbs. and foot pain is some better. I am also taking a lot of the vits, etc. recommended here and also orthotics, so I am not sure of what has helped. For all our sakes, overweight is not good. It causes high blood pressure, more work for the heart, more work for the joints + many more health risks. It is hard. I don't know what to do about the heel spurs on the back of your heels. I would see other doctors for information. Sorry I can't offer more.

Per, Denmark on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009368)

Hello Connie.

I am sad to hear about your condition, and i would very much like to help. I have studied sports at university i Denmark, so - being a semi-expert - I might have some advice on how to loose weight (hoping that it might help you. Atleast it might make you feel better about yourself).
Figure out your approx. maximum pulse. The books say yours would be about 170 (220-age) but in my experience, your is probably nearer 180 bumps pr minute. Check you pulse while you are working out. Now contrary to widespread belief, if you want to loose weight, you should go at the highest possible pulse rate for as long as possible. Your body spents a lot of energy repairing your body after a very hard training, and hard training works your general blood supply much better. The downside is risk of injury, but in bicycling, this should not be such a big factor. Risk of dying of hartattack/stroke doing strenuous exercise should - according to a resent huge survey - also be very limited, and the warning signs are usually very salient: Severe chestpain, almost fainting, and the like.

Ideally you should work up to being able to go at 80-90% of your maximumpulse (maybe 145-160 for about 30-45 minutes maybe 1 or 2 times a week, and 70-80% for 1-1 hour at 70-80% of your maxpuls (probably130-145). Do proper warmup before (10 minutes) and cool down after (5-10 minutes; to 'wash out' lactic acid). Now this is a semiprofessional scheme, so being able to do this might take up to a year of practice. Start with 5-10 minutes at 80-90, and 20-30 at 70-80. Also, on a stationary, this hard a schedule is a killer;... you should bike in the streets if possible. The good thing is, if you pull of this long term practice-regimen, you body will feel perfect, and you will really start enyoing practicing.
If your arthrisis worsens, prioritate the time in the high pulse area if at all possible.
Another problem might be to much pressure om your sore heels. I cant bike this much myself at present. So if my condition continues, I plan on trying to develop a boot where you can pedal from the side of your foot. But this is way out in the future. Go do the exercise right now! Feel free to ask me questions at my address. Good luck.

PS- sorry about the poor english

Sue on 8/01/99 at 00:00 (009373)

This is ideal if you were in good shape. I don't think any person with medical problems ie:overweight(depends on how much, joint problems,arthritis, and of course FOOT PAIN, and fairly inactive, is up to doping this much. Any amount is a start and increase as tolerated. I know when I had my severe heel pain,which seemed to cause other pains, the last thing I felt like doing was much exercise other than my usual,necessary daily duties.

Connie Sunday on 8/01/99 at 20:12 (009380)

Well, thanks to everyone for replying. I guess I should have been more specific. I've biked tremendous amounts over the last four or five years (lived in Davis, California with no car and did 4 miles to work, 4 miles home, etc.) Now I'm in Tulsa, OK, and there's no place to bike, I hurt too much to do much of anything, and I'm just in this downward spiral. I've decided to not eat after 1:00 except for fruit and vegetables, no meat of course, and the next step is going to be vegeanism. I've just got to lose weight. Walking or running, or even bicycling at this point, is out of the question. Sometimes it takes all I've got to get up and walk around, at all. Once I get going, I'm okay but still in pain.

What I'm concerned about is, if I lose the weight, wonder if the heel pain will go away? Wish I knew more about the clinical evidence on this.

You know, a lot of things can hit you at once, just normal life events, and it takes some work to manage it all; heel spurs, perimenopuase, weight, death and ageing of parents, mid life crisis, career crises. If I didn't have the support of my family, and if I hadn't had the good fortune to have had some opportunities in life prior to this, I don't know...I think in some ways I'm lucky. This is a lot of negative events to handle at once.

--Connie

Raleigh on 8/02/99 at 22:09 (009408)

Hey Connie! Sorry to hear that things aren't going so well. At least don't beat yourself up about your weight. Look at all the 'normal' weight athletes who get this syndrome!. Have you seen a doctor about possible thyroid problems? Tried acupuncture? Magnets? The Atkins Diet? Don't give up! (this is what I have to tell myself as I totter along like someone 60 years OLDER than I am... what I have to tell myself after giving up aerobics, running, walking... what I have to tell myself as my weight spirals upward). I am not going to give into this- we can all share ideas and therapy ideas. Hang in there, keep us posted. -Raleigh

Audrey on 8/03/99 at 08:16 (009416)

Ironic but my foot problem started after I had lost 20lbs on Weight Watchers?

Carol E. on 8/03/99 at 10:39 (009421)

There are many causes for PF. Some might inherit a tendency and some get it through some sort of injury.

I am convinced that I got mine when I suddenly gained 60 pounds in a 6 month period after my husband lost his job 5 days after we closed the loan on a half million dollar dream home!!! Stress does terrible things to me and my poor feet just couldn't take the strain.

You're right, we need to not beat ourselves up over it but even you can imagine the additional pain you would be suffering if you had to pack around four 25 pound bags of sugar everywhere you went!!! Losing weight might not cure the problem at this point but it HAS to help make the pain less.