Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Suffer Needs Help

Posted by Mar on 8/02/99 at 11:11 (009390)

Hi,

I started a walking program about 1 month ago, I had walking shoes but guess they did not have enough support and began to have foot pain. I switched to another brand of walking/running shoes with a much better arch support - but the foot pain is still there. It is worse in the morning when I wake up and is now starting to bother me if I sit for a few hours at work.

I walk thru the pain in the morning - it goes away after about 15 minutes - but have heard that will only make it worse. I have not yet been to see my doctor about this.

Any helpful hints to ease the pain? Should I keep walking or visit an MD before I cause (more) damage?

Thanks!

Re: New Suffer Needs Help

Leslie on 8/02/99 at 11:30 (009391)

Find a good DPM or Orthopedic doctor before you do more damage. Stop walking! I didn't and made things worse. In the mean time, stretch by pointing and flexing your foot slowly before steping on the floor each morning. Keep us posted on how you make out - we've been there (are there!) and we care!

Sarah on 8/02/99 at 14:38 (009397)

Listen to Leslie and STOP WALKING!!! I suffered for more than a year until I sought the insight of a surgical podiatrist and did more and more damage to my foot by trying to 'walk through the pain'. Read Scott's document so when you go you are prepared to ask good, itelligent questions. Good luck!

Dannielle on 8/02/99 at 21:01 (009404)

It's VERY important that you don't 'walk thru' the pain!
The pain is sending you a very important message and that
is to get to a good podiatrist ASAP. I was diagnosed with
PF in early June of this year and have had to give up
my walking this summer in order to try to deal with this.
I have had some improvement and I'm hoping that I'll have
even more improvement over the winter so I'm ready for next
summer again. To get exercise, I use our exercise bike, but
you could bicycle on your own. I've found that seems to help
the PF.

Mar on 8/04/99 at 13:11 (009453)

Thanks so much for your support. I have made an appointment with my Dr to get a referral to a podiatrist. For the past couple of days I have done the stretching in the morning before getting out of bed, it seems to really help. I have stopped walking - but that is hard, I was on a good weight loss streak oh well. I have a bike I can ride. At the end of August I will have access to a pool for lap swim.

Leslie on 8/02/99 at 11:30 (009391)

Find a good DPM or Orthopedic doctor before you do more damage. Stop walking! I didn't and made things worse. In the mean time, stretch by pointing and flexing your foot slowly before steping on the floor each morning. Keep us posted on how you make out - we've been there (are there!) and we care!

Sarah on 8/02/99 at 14:38 (009397)

Listen to Leslie and STOP WALKING!!! I suffered for more than a year until I sought the insight of a surgical podiatrist and did more and more damage to my foot by trying to 'walk through the pain'. Read Scott's document so when you go you are prepared to ask good, itelligent questions. Good luck!

Dannielle on 8/02/99 at 21:01 (009404)

It's VERY important that you don't 'walk thru' the pain!
The pain is sending you a very important message and that
is to get to a good podiatrist ASAP. I was diagnosed with
PF in early June of this year and have had to give up
my walking this summer in order to try to deal with this.
I have had some improvement and I'm hoping that I'll have
even more improvement over the winter so I'm ready for next
summer again. To get exercise, I use our exercise bike, but
you could bicycle on your own. I've found that seems to help
the PF.

Mar on 8/04/99 at 13:11 (009453)

Thanks so much for your support. I have made an appointment with my Dr to get a referral to a podiatrist. For the past couple of days I have done the stretching in the morning before getting out of bed, it seems to really help. I have stopped walking - but that is hard, I was on a good weight loss streak oh well. I have a bike I can ride. At the end of August I will have access to a pool for lap swim.