Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Birkenstock questions

Posted by Jill P on 8/03/99 at 10:12 (009419)

I'm sure this subject has been covered 'ad nauseum', but I'm new to this BB and to PF, so please indulge me.

I just bought my first pair of Birkenstocks (from QVC - I live in a rural area where there just aren't any shoe stores). I just love them, and they have really alleviated some of the pain. My question is this. The Birks I purchased are size 39 (8-1/2 to 9), and I generally wear a size 9 medium width. These seem to fit fine.

I am getting ready to order another pair of Birks from an on-line source, and am noticing that they come in narrow and regular widths. Ladies, do you find that the narrow Birks fit like a medium width shoe, or should I go ahead and order the regular width?

Thanks in advance for any advice, and to everyone participating on this great site!

Re: Birkenstock questions

Audrey on 8/03/99 at 13:33 (009427)

Hi, I just bought my first pair & I would say the narrow width fits like a regular width. I don't have particularly narrow feet but that width fits just fine. Hope this helps.

Laura on 8/03/99 at 21:19 (009435)

I usually have to purchase double-wide shoes, but with the Birk sandals, I was able to just get the regulars. They're WONderful!

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 8/04/99 at 05:17 (009445)

Hi Jill

Birkenstock convert and near-addict here! I used to think they were a bit funny looking but now, after discovering this message board, I have two pairs sandals and two pairs closed shoes and my feet are happy. (I still think they are a bit funny looking though!)

I tried on the narrow fitting but they were just a bit too narrow. However, my feet are a bit wide anyway, so I think the somewhat vague answer for you is - it depends. If your feet seem to be swimming around in vast expanses of space with the regular size, then maybe you could do with the narrows, but if you order them be sure you can change them if they feel wrong.

Hope this helps. Happy walking

jl

Melanie on 8/04/99 at 20:11 (009464)

I used to wear regular width shoes before I started wearing my Birks. Of course, now, I don't wear anything but Birks!! The only time I don't have them on is when I am in bed. But anyway, I am off way off the subject, I wear narrow Birks. I was told that the regulars were not giving me enough support in the proper areas. I have a very high arch when my foot is relaxed but I have a flat foot when I stand. The narrow birks make it so my arch aligns perfectly with the arch support of the shoe. all I can say is try it, you should be able to return them if you aren't satisfied. IF you can't return them to the company you have been ordering from, try calling 1-800-birks4u. They will allow you to return them.

Good luck..

MaryAnneinMaine on 8/05/99 at 07:46 (009477)

Because I have narrow, small feet, I've found Naot (cork base like Birks) fit better. I use them like slippers; Nike with orthotics for the day; Teva for the shower and beach/swimming. I don't know what I'll use when I have to 'dress-up'.

vicki on 8/08/99 at 10:07 (009568)

I am new to this. I have worn nothing on my feet except Kay Swiss tennis shoes with custom made orthotics since Jan. I have always loved sandals in the summer, but because of pain without my orthotics, i stick to the shoes. What are Birkenstocks and where do i find them?

DianeF. on 8/08/99 at 13:19 (009576)

You go to the birkenstock website and they have a list of stores that sell them, can buy online too once you know your size and fit. They will send you a catalog if you request it and have pictures and info on all their shoes and sandals. Good luck :)

Ivy on 8/12/99 at 14:02 (009672)

Does it matter if you wear the Birks with an open or closed back?

Diane F. on 8/14/99 at 21:22 (009759)

I would say it would depend on how it feels for you. I wear backless so I can take them off and on with ease, they give great support. I would try one of each and see how they feel, for what feels good for one person might not feel the same for someone else. Good Luck !

Audrey on 8/03/99 at 13:33 (009427)

Hi, I just bought my first pair & I would say the narrow width fits like a regular width. I don't have particularly narrow feet but that width fits just fine. Hope this helps.

Laura on 8/03/99 at 21:19 (009435)

I usually have to purchase double-wide shoes, but with the Birk sandals, I was able to just get the regulars. They're WONderful!

Jenny Lewis, London, UK on 8/04/99 at 05:17 (009445)

Hi Jill

Birkenstock convert and near-addict here! I used to think they were a bit funny looking but now, after discovering this message board, I have two pairs sandals and two pairs closed shoes and my feet are happy. (I still think they are a bit funny looking though!)

I tried on the narrow fitting but they were just a bit too narrow. However, my feet are a bit wide anyway, so I think the somewhat vague answer for you is - it depends. If your feet seem to be swimming around in vast expanses of space with the regular size, then maybe you could do with the narrows, but if you order them be sure you can change them if they feel wrong.

Hope this helps. Happy walking

jl

Melanie on 8/04/99 at 20:11 (009464)

I used to wear regular width shoes before I started wearing my Birks. Of course, now, I don't wear anything but Birks!! The only time I don't have them on is when I am in bed. But anyway, I am off way off the subject, I wear narrow Birks. I was told that the regulars were not giving me enough support in the proper areas. I have a very high arch when my foot is relaxed but I have a flat foot when I stand. The narrow birks make it so my arch aligns perfectly with the arch support of the shoe. all I can say is try it, you should be able to return them if you aren't satisfied. IF you can't return them to the company you have been ordering from, try calling 1-800-birks4u. They will allow you to return them.

Good luck..

MaryAnneinMaine on 8/05/99 at 07:46 (009477)

Because I have narrow, small feet, I've found Naot (cork base like Birks) fit better. I use them like slippers; Nike with orthotics for the day; Teva for the shower and beach/swimming. I don't know what I'll use when I have to 'dress-up'.

vicki on 8/08/99 at 10:07 (009568)

I am new to this. I have worn nothing on my feet except Kay Swiss tennis shoes with custom made orthotics since Jan. I have always loved sandals in the summer, but because of pain without my orthotics, i stick to the shoes. What are Birkenstocks and where do i find them?

DianeF. on 8/08/99 at 13:19 (009576)

You go to the birkenstock website and they have a list of stores that sell them, can buy online too once you know your size and fit. They will send you a catalog if you request it and have pictures and info on all their shoes and sandals. Good luck :)

Ivy on 8/12/99 at 14:02 (009672)

Does it matter if you wear the Birks with an open or closed back?

Diane F. on 8/14/99 at 21:22 (009759)

I would say it would depend on how it feels for you. I wear backless so I can take them off and on with ease, they give great support. I would try one of each and see how they feel, for what feels good for one person might not feel the same for someone else. Good Luck !