Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Jenn about orthotripsy follow-up procedures

Posted by joan on 8/03/99 at 19:45 (009430)

Jenn- I have a question regarding the orthotripsy procedure--I know that you've said that the doctor said it could take about four weeks...my question is, is there any other way to measure the success of the procedure besides the person's subjective report of how much pain they are/are not (hopefully!) left with? For example, do they do a follow-up MRI to see if the scar tissue thickness has been reduced? Is there any type of scan to record the level of new blood vessel growth (re-vascularization) into the area? I'd really like to know these things--what kind of follow-up do you get to undergo with the doctor? I wish you the very best of luck and really hope this procedure works for you. Thanks.

Re: Question for Jenn about orthotripsy follow-up procedures

Jenn on 8/03/99 at 21:05 (009433)

Unfortunately, there is no follow up for me. He (Dr Galea) will base things on how I feel. If there was at least a 50% reduction in pain, he said I can go back for one more procedure. But before they perform the procedure for a second time, they would do another mri to see if there was a significant reduction in the scar tissue. If they find that there was a significant reduction in scar tissue than they will do it again.

At this point I do not feel any better at all. So, this is all the information I have. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

joan on 8/04/99 at 09:10 (009449)

Thanks for your respomse. I don't know a lot about the procedure but I am (only) guessing that if it destroys scar tissue and causes re-vascularization, then it seems like it sort of mimics an injury to begin with--therefore I guess that's why you could be hurting now--as if you have a new injury and it is going through the initial stages of healing--anyway, I'm not sure, but if that is the case, maybe that's why you don't feel better yet--but this would hold out hope for the case that you WILL. Things on the foot, as you know, take a long time to heal. I will pray for your recovery.

Jenn on 8/03/99 at 21:05 (009433)

Unfortunately, there is no follow up for me. He (Dr Galea) will base things on how I feel. If there was at least a 50% reduction in pain, he said I can go back for one more procedure. But before they perform the procedure for a second time, they would do another mri to see if there was a significant reduction in the scar tissue. If they find that there was a significant reduction in scar tissue than they will do it again.

At this point I do not feel any better at all. So, this is all the information I have. Let me know if you want to know anything else.

joan on 8/04/99 at 09:10 (009449)

Thanks for your respomse. I don't know a lot about the procedure but I am (only) guessing that if it destroys scar tissue and causes re-vascularization, then it seems like it sort of mimics an injury to begin with--therefore I guess that's why you could be hurting now--as if you have a new injury and it is going through the initial stages of healing--anyway, I'm not sure, but if that is the case, maybe that's why you don't feel better yet--but this would hold out hope for the case that you WILL. Things on the foot, as you know, take a long time to heal. I will pray for your recovery.