Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Step aerobics and PF

Posted by mar on 8/04/99 at 14:26 (009455)

I was wondering if doing low impact step aerobics will make PF worse? I have yet to see the Dr (have an appointment for a referral) - but have stopped walking and started streching out my feet. Feel really crummy with not walking and was wondering about aerobics? Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Step aerobics and PF

Beth on 8/04/99 at 17:38 (009457)

Mar,
To recap: I am diagnosed with PF and tarsal tunnel syndrome.
In my case stepping caused a great deal of tingling, burning, pain. I didn't step for about two months and then tried a very basic tape-up, down, no power moves or even corner stuff. I only did 20 minutes and my feet were not good. That was about six weeks ago and just this week I am feeling somewhat better. The inflamation is definitely going down finally and my feet are not as hot. Look into water aerobic stuff-wear a vest and 'run/walk' in the pool. Or get two big milk jugs, put the lid on and use them to hold yourself up. I've been doing water running and am exhausted after a half an hour. I get pretty bored with laps, but with the water running I do minutes of: scissors (big and small), biking, walking, and running. That's five moves for 6 times is a half hour. A great book I got at Amazon is The Water Power Workout Book-tons of ideas and includes injury moves to do.

Bea on 8/04/99 at 18:36 (009459)

I have been reading the board for quite awhile & feel the need to get this off my chest. Whoever fabricated the saying 'go for the burn' did people with bad feet and other ailments of the muscular system of the body a real disservice. Pain is natures way of telling you that you are overdoing and hurting yourself. This mania of working out and no pain no gain mentality is I believe very dangerous. When it hurts, STOP, see what is wrong & try to correct with rest and other methods but don't keep on doing what got you in trouble in the first place.

Judy E on 8/04/99 at 19:25 (009462)

Bea, THANK YOU!!! So many people are into 'fitness' these days and many 'got for the burn' that I am surprised there aren't more out there with injuries.

I love my aerobics and step aerobics, but gave them up when my feet hurt too bad to continue. Maybe if I had listened more to the feet and tuned out the instructor, I wouldn't be sitting getting flabby and fatter.

But - good news - The worst of the inflammation seems to have resolved and I am starting to look toward some gentle walking.

Ann on 8/05/99 at 16:38 (009489)

I have had PF for 11 months. I recently started doing aerobics with weights. The videos that I use are from The Firm. They are great. They are low impact. A little step aerobics and working with some weights. To be honest, I think it helps stretch my heel. I do the tapes 5 days a week. I also ride a bike, walking more than 1/2 mile kills me.
Good luck, if you need more info. just email me.

Raleigh on 8/07/99 at 22:54 (009554)

Like Judy, if I had only listened to the pain in my feet instead of steppin' away, I wouldn't be posting here today!

linda on 8/08/99 at 22:47 (009584)

hi guys, i agree, i too had to give up my step class aerobics, it increased the inflamation and added to the pain, i've been off the step, for a yr now and still paying for it. dr. said that definitley aggravates it..now im just discouraged about the weight, i really enjoyed step class...

Beth on 8/04/99 at 17:38 (009457)

Mar,
To recap: I am diagnosed with PF and tarsal tunnel syndrome.
In my case stepping caused a great deal of tingling, burning, pain. I didn't step for about two months and then tried a very basic tape-up, down, no power moves or even corner stuff. I only did 20 minutes and my feet were not good. That was about six weeks ago and just this week I am feeling somewhat better. The inflamation is definitely going down finally and my feet are not as hot. Look into water aerobic stuff-wear a vest and 'run/walk' in the pool. Or get two big milk jugs, put the lid on and use them to hold yourself up. I've been doing water running and am exhausted after a half an hour. I get pretty bored with laps, but with the water running I do minutes of: scissors (big and small), biking, walking, and running. That's five moves for 6 times is a half hour. A great book I got at Amazon is The Water Power Workout Book-tons of ideas and includes injury moves to do.

Bea on 8/04/99 at 18:36 (009459)

I have been reading the board for quite awhile & feel the need to get this off my chest. Whoever fabricated the saying 'go for the burn' did people with bad feet and other ailments of the muscular system of the body a real disservice. Pain is natures way of telling you that you are overdoing and hurting yourself. This mania of working out and no pain no gain mentality is I believe very dangerous. When it hurts, STOP, see what is wrong & try to correct with rest and other methods but don't keep on doing what got you in trouble in the first place.

Judy E on 8/04/99 at 19:25 (009462)

Bea, THANK YOU!!! So many people are into 'fitness' these days and many 'got for the burn' that I am surprised there aren't more out there with injuries.

I love my aerobics and step aerobics, but gave them up when my feet hurt too bad to continue. Maybe if I had listened more to the feet and tuned out the instructor, I wouldn't be sitting getting flabby and fatter.

But - good news - The worst of the inflammation seems to have resolved and I am starting to look toward some gentle walking.

Ann on 8/05/99 at 16:38 (009489)

I have had PF for 11 months. I recently started doing aerobics with weights. The videos that I use are from The Firm. They are great. They are low impact. A little step aerobics and working with some weights. To be honest, I think it helps stretch my heel. I do the tapes 5 days a week. I also ride a bike, walking more than 1/2 mile kills me.
Good luck, if you need more info. just email me.

Raleigh on 8/07/99 at 22:54 (009554)

Like Judy, if I had only listened to the pain in my feet instead of steppin' away, I wouldn't be posting here today!

linda on 8/08/99 at 22:47 (009584)

hi guys, i agree, i too had to give up my step class aerobics, it increased the inflamation and added to the pain, i've been off the step, for a yr now and still paying for it. dr. said that definitley aggravates it..now im just discouraged about the weight, i really enjoyed step class...