Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Water Park Help!

Posted by Jan on 8/05/99 at 22:45 (009495)

Help! My kids have been trying to get me to bring them to a water park this summer, but I have been putting them off due to all the walking I feel it will entail....AND for the fact that I have absolutely NO clue what to wear on my feet for the day! After having PF surgery 4mos ago,(with pain still), Il only wear my New Balance sneakers, which just won't work for water rides.

Any ideas for something with good support that will get very wet, would be appreciated greatly!

Re: Water Park Help!

John C. on 8/06/99 at 07:40 (009498)

Jan,
If I were you, I would wear the New Balance Shoes. A day of getting soaked, will not hurt them. I wore a pair of sneakers on a week long Grand Canyon trip this summer. Except for getting dirty, they came out working as well as they did going in. All of the materials in these shoes is synthetic and will stand up to the water very well.

Good luck and have fun.

John

Audrey on 8/06/99 at 10:31 (009503)

Birkenstock make a waterproof sandal, I had the same problem as yourself. I bought a pair about a month ago and haven't taken them off all summer. I paid about $85.00CDN

Sandra Z on 8/06/99 at 15:03 (009510)

I wear Birkis (plastic birkenstocks) in the summer at pools but I'm not sure they'd stay on your feet on the water rides. When I went to the beach earlier this year I wore regular water shoes, which are stretchy but tight, with Dynastep arch supports that I purchased at Walgreens. You could probably put any over the counter orthotic inside water shoes. Good luck! It's such a challenge living a normal life with this condition!

MaryAnneinMaine on 8/06/99 at 15:30 (009511)

Teva will stay on your feet and do have a better than nothing arch.
However, stay off your feet as much as you can. Also tape (see Scotts's simple method) your feet using the athletic tape, with a top layer of duct tape. It might not hold up, but is worth the try to support you more.

Kara on 8/06/99 at 15:35 (009512)

I had this same concern the begining of this summer when I thought I could be a canoe guide, then my back went out
Anyway, my husband suggested I drill holes in some old sneaker to let the water drain out and put my orthodics in them.
Sounded like a good idea to me.
Also, sometimes its better to walk in wet shoes all day because your feet don't swell from the heat.
good luck!
Kara

Sarah on 8/07/99 at 10:23 (009534)

I haven't tried these but there are these aquatic shoes that Target was selling, and that you can get at a sporting good store. They look to fit snugly to you feet and I am guessing that you could put your orthodics in them. My sister bought some for the beach and loved them. My unserstanding is that they are meant to be worn into the ocean or pool for people who do water aerobics.

John C. on 8/06/99 at 07:40 (009498)

Jan,
If I were you, I would wear the New Balance Shoes. A day of getting soaked, will not hurt them. I wore a pair of sneakers on a week long Grand Canyon trip this summer. Except for getting dirty, they came out working as well as they did going in. All of the materials in these shoes is synthetic and will stand up to the water very well.

Good luck and have fun.

John

Audrey on 8/06/99 at 10:31 (009503)

Birkenstock make a waterproof sandal, I had the same problem as yourself. I bought a pair about a month ago and haven't taken them off all summer. I paid about $85.00CDN

Sandra Z on 8/06/99 at 15:03 (009510)

I wear Birkis (plastic birkenstocks) in the summer at pools but I'm not sure they'd stay on your feet on the water rides. When I went to the beach earlier this year I wore regular water shoes, which are stretchy but tight, with Dynastep arch supports that I purchased at Walgreens. You could probably put any over the counter orthotic inside water shoes. Good luck! It's such a challenge living a normal life with this condition!

MaryAnneinMaine on 8/06/99 at 15:30 (009511)

Teva will stay on your feet and do have a better than nothing arch.
However, stay off your feet as much as you can. Also tape (see Scotts's simple method) your feet using the athletic tape, with a top layer of duct tape. It might not hold up, but is worth the try to support you more.

Kara on 8/06/99 at 15:35 (009512)

I had this same concern the begining of this summer when I thought I could be a canoe guide, then my back went out
Anyway, my husband suggested I drill holes in some old sneaker to let the water drain out and put my orthodics in them.
Sounded like a good idea to me.
Also, sometimes its better to walk in wet shoes all day because your feet don't swell from the heat.
good luck!
Kara

Sarah on 8/07/99 at 10:23 (009534)

I haven't tried these but there are these aquatic shoes that Target was selling, and that you can get at a sporting good store. They look to fit snugly to you feet and I am guessing that you could put your orthodics in them. My sister bought some for the beach and loved them. My unserstanding is that they are meant to be worn into the ocean or pool for people who do water aerobics.