Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Fellow Runners-Any real life experiences dealing with plantar faciitis????

Posted by Tony Keller on 8/06/99 at 09:32 (009501)

Fellow Runners et al.-My case history has been nagging ball of foot and some arch pain for over one year. I quit running six months ago and all aerobic exercise two months later. Even biking and the elliptical trainer seemed to keep my foot aggravated. My pain seems to be plantar fasciitis from toes in ball of foot to and occasionally including the arch. No heel pain ever. I was doing lots of hilly trails when injury occurred. One orthopedic surgeon and two podiatrists seem to have eliminated stress fracture and neuroma. Seems to be a case of tendinitis. All treatments including orthotics do not seem to help for very long. At best I've had this condition go away one week only to come back. As head of a family on occasion I have to do things as yard work(including cutting trees), painting on ladders, standing at work etc, etc. However, the only regimented exercise I have done for the last four months has been weights 3-4 times a week. Any hope for a complete recovery so that I will be able to run again? My dedication and enthusiasm to the sport of running is slowly waning while my depression and negatism(ex. all running eventually leads to injury) is increasing. Thanks for any advice and encouragement as I truly respect and admire all those who make contributions on this forum trying to help others.

Runner from Kentucky

Re: Fellow Runners-Any real life experiences dealing with plantar faciitis????

Raleigh on 8/06/99 at 14:44 (009508)

From an ex-runner... After hip and knee tendonitis (from running) and pf (from step aerobics) I, too, question running as exercise. I have been the reg. doctor/physical therapy route without good results. Stretches really do help, at least 2x a day and before exercise. Icing helps me, too, somewhat. I just started acupuncture with an MD: the 'healed' pf is doing great; the active pf still hurts. The MD said it may take a few treatments for the active pf to calm down. Being careful seems to be the name of the game. Watch out for ladders, steps, anything that puts pressure on a small area of the foot, and/or twists it. It almost seems that once you get pf, you are pretty prone to reinjury Have patience, Tony, it is hard though! Good luck! Hang in there.

Andrea on 8/06/99 at 18:03 (009513)

Tony,
I am also a runner and have been for over 9 years. Last year while training for the Twin Cities marathon, 3 weeks before the actual race I noticed a feeling of a bruised heel on a tapering run of about 6 miles. I kept on running anyway and did run the marathon. I noticed at the time I had pain in my heel/arch. That was October 4, 1998. Now I no longer have any heel pain but rather a 'burning ache' in my arches. some time this pain is in the balls of my feet too. When I have this pain it often feels like the tendons/ligments have been over used and ache! My pain is mostly just when I stand though--not when I am running or walking ususally--and that makes it difficult for day to day activities like you described.

Although I justed started running again 2-3 times a week for 2-3 miles for the first time since the marathon. My pain has subsided somewhat over the last 2 months but it has not gone completely. I am/was a running addict. I have spent the last 10+ months in a fairly deep depression. Running was my stress relief and I have found little else that makes me feel the way running did/does. Many on this site may disagree with my choice to run (as I am sure it is not helping the situation) but I've come to a point where my mental health I believe is also hindering any type of physical recovery. Last night I ran 3 miles completely pain free and have had little reprecussions today and felt absolutely great both physically and emotinally. However, last week I ran 2 miles and could barely walk the next day. T

The point being, I have good days and bad days.

I have had and tried just about every treatment discussed on this page with little relief except for acupuncture. Orthotics has made it worse. I have beent to 2 podiatrist, 2 rheumatologists an orthopedic surgeon and next month I am seeing a neurologist for nerve testing.

I don't want to get you feeling down or hopeless--I only want to say that I am a runner and I understand. I live with the same pain you do everyday but I know 'this to shall pass'. Keep communicating and hang in there!

Jenn on 8/07/99 at 11:45 (009535)

I completely understand. I am a female rugby player who competes on a national level. I have been unable to run or play since November 1, 1998. My weight has gone up and my depression too. I do bike and weight train but squats, biking the eliptical trainer also seem to aggravate the condition. I have had PF for 3 years. I ignored the pain hoping it would go away and I made it so bad that it has become debilitating. (rugby players are fanatical) I can't even grocery shop anymore without having to spend the rest of the day in ice. I have had icing, stretching, taping, 5 cortizone injections, oral steroids, heel pads, custom orthotics, night splint and a cast(non weight bearing) for 6 weeks. (I had to walk 4 blocks every day to work-on crutches) I want to go back and run so bad that I've tried everything. 3 weeks ago I drove to Toronto Canada to have the orthotripsy performed. I can't tell yet if there is any difference. But they told me that by 6 weeks I should be pain free. ANd that I can run again in 10 to 12 weeks. Running has always been very spiritual for me and a necessity like breathing. I've been doing it for 15 years. I cannot imagine a life without it. SO hang in there and read some of my postings on my orthotripsy. It may give you some hope.

Good Luck and god bless!

joan on 8/08/99 at 18:59 (009578)

I am a runner too--for the past year and a half, I have not been able to run--even if I tried a short sprint from the car to the store, within a few steps I innately felt that I would hurt myself if I continued. This summer was the first time since the injury that I was able to reduce my workload enough to have more time off (I was a bit of a workaholic--now I'm down to a fairly regular schedule). I also religiously followed the 'shoes and orthotics at all times rule.' I am happy to say that my left foot is getting steadily better over the past ten days and that I still have many positive changes to institute (night splints, diet, more stretching and exercise than I have been doing). But I am able to walk more comfortably and I feel, more importantly--that I am able to walk with a more normal heel-toe gait pattern. I think this is in large part helping my entire foot to feel better, although I of course do still feel the contracture of the plantar fascia while walking. Anyway, Friday night I was walking and my foot was feeling about as good as it has ever felt for several months so I decide to TRY a light jog for twenty seconds--I am happy to say that I was able to without any real discomfort and without the sense that I would hurt myself--I mean, I did feel the tautness in my arch but I also felt that I could handle it without a re-injury. I stopped and then later did another twenty seconds just to see. What I am saying is that I DO think I will run again, and this had been a big big concern of mine too, because I LOVE running and it's been my stress release, confidence builder, exercise, etc. for so long. I do not anticipate starting to really run again any time soon as I am still pursuing a long term healing process, but it sure did bolster my spirits to be a ble to do that, especially after all those bad trials in parking lots. My words of hope to anyone reading this, even though all our cases are different and healing is individual, is do not give up HOPE. There was a very bad week in my life not more than a month ago where I broke down crying because I could no longer run and jump and play. And now here I am on the other side of that. So hold on to hope and prayer because good things can happen. Keep the faith. Good luck to all!

hank on 8/09/99 at 15:05 (009598)

Andrea,
I know exactly what you are feeling with the running. For some
of us running is our means of therapy. I too have been in and out
of a funk since getting plantar fasciitis last September. It's
killed my running altogether. My foot is doing better but it's
not there yet. I pick up a pair of $400 custom orthotics tomorrow
(had the imprints made last week). I'm hoping to resume running
by October and doing triathlons again next year. The only thing
harder than triathlon training is NOT triathlon training! Actually,
that's not really true but try telling us running addicts that!
best regards, Hank

Dave on 8/10/99 at 18:24 (009618)

I have run for the last 19 years and about a year ago I developed pf. At first I thought I could run thru it but it continued to get worse. I walk for a living and some days were pretty tough. I went to the pod and got orthotics and have tried about everything. The pod said that he could do ultrasound and water therapy but I didn't go for that. I had to quit running for 4 months and am currently running 3 times a week doing around ten miles. I miss it so much when I can't do it. I just recently bought some magnetic insoles and hope they might help. I read everything I can on the subject. Thanks all and good luck!!

john on 8/13/99 at 10:44 (009708)

andrea: good post! i too was running as my main outlet for stress. i ran all the local 5 and 10 K races and ran about 5 miles a day. my pain began slowly while running up a hill on concrete. a slight burning sensation. as i continued to run over the next year and ignored the aching/burning in the area of my arch it got worse and finally chronic until now i dare not run. i have found no emotional outlet for what running provided. i do ride the recumbent bike 4-5 times a week for an hour and do some weights but that does not provide for me what running did. sometimes the pain will subside for a few days and i will think i am on my way back and then wham for no reason the pain returns and i am on an emotionaly rollacoaster again.

Raleigh on 8/06/99 at 14:44 (009508)

From an ex-runner... After hip and knee tendonitis (from running) and pf (from step aerobics) I, too, question running as exercise. I have been the reg. doctor/physical therapy route without good results. Stretches really do help, at least 2x a day and before exercise. Icing helps me, too, somewhat. I just started acupuncture with an MD: the 'healed' pf is doing great; the active pf still hurts. The MD said it may take a few treatments for the active pf to calm down. Being careful seems to be the name of the game. Watch out for ladders, steps, anything that puts pressure on a small area of the foot, and/or twists it. It almost seems that once you get pf, you are pretty prone to reinjury Have patience, Tony, it is hard though! Good luck! Hang in there.

Andrea on 8/06/99 at 18:03 (009513)

Tony,
I am also a runner and have been for over 9 years. Last year while training for the Twin Cities marathon, 3 weeks before the actual race I noticed a feeling of a bruised heel on a tapering run of about 6 miles. I kept on running anyway and did run the marathon. I noticed at the time I had pain in my heel/arch. That was October 4, 1998. Now I no longer have any heel pain but rather a 'burning ache' in my arches. some time this pain is in the balls of my feet too. When I have this pain it often feels like the tendons/ligments have been over used and ache! My pain is mostly just when I stand though--not when I am running or walking ususally--and that makes it difficult for day to day activities like you described.

Although I justed started running again 2-3 times a week for 2-3 miles for the first time since the marathon. My pain has subsided somewhat over the last 2 months but it has not gone completely. I am/was a running addict. I have spent the last 10+ months in a fairly deep depression. Running was my stress relief and I have found little else that makes me feel the way running did/does. Many on this site may disagree with my choice to run (as I am sure it is not helping the situation) but I've come to a point where my mental health I believe is also hindering any type of physical recovery. Last night I ran 3 miles completely pain free and have had little reprecussions today and felt absolutely great both physically and emotinally. However, last week I ran 2 miles and could barely walk the next day. T

The point being, I have good days and bad days.

I have had and tried just about every treatment discussed on this page with little relief except for acupuncture. Orthotics has made it worse. I have beent to 2 podiatrist, 2 rheumatologists an orthopedic surgeon and next month I am seeing a neurologist for nerve testing.

I don't want to get you feeling down or hopeless--I only want to say that I am a runner and I understand. I live with the same pain you do everyday but I know 'this to shall pass'. Keep communicating and hang in there!

Jenn on 8/07/99 at 11:45 (009535)

I completely understand. I am a female rugby player who competes on a national level. I have been unable to run or play since November 1, 1998. My weight has gone up and my depression too. I do bike and weight train but squats, biking the eliptical trainer also seem to aggravate the condition. I have had PF for 3 years. I ignored the pain hoping it would go away and I made it so bad that it has become debilitating. (rugby players are fanatical) I can't even grocery shop anymore without having to spend the rest of the day in ice. I have had icing, stretching, taping, 5 cortizone injections, oral steroids, heel pads, custom orthotics, night splint and a cast(non weight bearing) for 6 weeks. (I had to walk 4 blocks every day to work-on crutches) I want to go back and run so bad that I've tried everything. 3 weeks ago I drove to Toronto Canada to have the orthotripsy performed. I can't tell yet if there is any difference. But they told me that by 6 weeks I should be pain free. ANd that I can run again in 10 to 12 weeks. Running has always been very spiritual for me and a necessity like breathing. I've been doing it for 15 years. I cannot imagine a life without it. SO hang in there and read some of my postings on my orthotripsy. It may give you some hope.

Good Luck and god bless!

joan on 8/08/99 at 18:59 (009578)

I am a runner too--for the past year and a half, I have not been able to run--even if I tried a short sprint from the car to the store, within a few steps I innately felt that I would hurt myself if I continued. This summer was the first time since the injury that I was able to reduce my workload enough to have more time off (I was a bit of a workaholic--now I'm down to a fairly regular schedule). I also religiously followed the 'shoes and orthotics at all times rule.' I am happy to say that my left foot is getting steadily better over the past ten days and that I still have many positive changes to institute (night splints, diet, more stretching and exercise than I have been doing). But I am able to walk more comfortably and I feel, more importantly--that I am able to walk with a more normal heel-toe gait pattern. I think this is in large part helping my entire foot to feel better, although I of course do still feel the contracture of the plantar fascia while walking. Anyway, Friday night I was walking and my foot was feeling about as good as it has ever felt for several months so I decide to TRY a light jog for twenty seconds--I am happy to say that I was able to without any real discomfort and without the sense that I would hurt myself--I mean, I did feel the tautness in my arch but I also felt that I could handle it without a re-injury. I stopped and then later did another twenty seconds just to see. What I am saying is that I DO think I will run again, and this had been a big big concern of mine too, because I LOVE running and it's been my stress release, confidence builder, exercise, etc. for so long. I do not anticipate starting to really run again any time soon as I am still pursuing a long term healing process, but it sure did bolster my spirits to be a ble to do that, especially after all those bad trials in parking lots. My words of hope to anyone reading this, even though all our cases are different and healing is individual, is do not give up HOPE. There was a very bad week in my life not more than a month ago where I broke down crying because I could no longer run and jump and play. And now here I am on the other side of that. So hold on to hope and prayer because good things can happen. Keep the faith. Good luck to all!

hank on 8/09/99 at 15:05 (009598)

Andrea,
I know exactly what you are feeling with the running. For some
of us running is our means of therapy. I too have been in and out
of a funk since getting plantar fasciitis last September. It's
killed my running altogether. My foot is doing better but it's
not there yet. I pick up a pair of $400 custom orthotics tomorrow
(had the imprints made last week). I'm hoping to resume running
by October and doing triathlons again next year. The only thing
harder than triathlon training is NOT triathlon training! Actually,
that's not really true but try telling us running addicts that!
best regards, Hank

Dave on 8/10/99 at 18:24 (009618)

I have run for the last 19 years and about a year ago I developed pf. At first I thought I could run thru it but it continued to get worse. I walk for a living and some days were pretty tough. I went to the pod and got orthotics and have tried about everything. The pod said that he could do ultrasound and water therapy but I didn't go for that. I had to quit running for 4 months and am currently running 3 times a week doing around ten miles. I miss it so much when I can't do it. I just recently bought some magnetic insoles and hope they might help. I read everything I can on the subject. Thanks all and good luck!!

john on 8/13/99 at 10:44 (009708)

andrea: good post! i too was running as my main outlet for stress. i ran all the local 5 and 10 K races and ran about 5 miles a day. my pain began slowly while running up a hill on concrete. a slight burning sensation. as i continued to run over the next year and ignored the aching/burning in the area of my arch it got worse and finally chronic until now i dare not run. i have found no emotional outlet for what running provided. i do ride the recumbent bike 4-5 times a week for an hour and do some weights but that does not provide for me what running did. sometimes the pain will subside for a few days and i will think i am on my way back and then wham for no reason the pain returns and i am on an emotionaly rollacoaster again.