Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I've had Fibromyalgia (FM) for 10 years... and now this! Please Help!

Posted by Kimbe on 8/06/99 at 22:29 (009521)

I'm so depressed. Based on what I've read, I am going to have to learn to live with the foot and heel pain that is in both my feet. I've been dealing with Fibromyalgia (FM) for 10 years, and now this. I just don't know how much more pain and disappointment I can learn to live with.

Please advise, what should I do?

What kind of athletic tape is used for the taping, and where do I find it?

Can I get some honest imput on the Ibuprophen cream? Is it worth the expense?

I'm a first time poster. Please offer any and all advice.

Thanks in advance, Kimbe

Re: I've had Fibromyalgia (FM) for 10 years... and now this! Please Help!

Lee on 8/07/99 at 09:02 (009529)

The piroxicam cream really helped me alot. Some insurance does pay for it, mine did with a letter of explanation why I needed it. If they didn't pay I would still buy it. Hopefully it might relieve some of your pain. Good Luck

Sarah on 8/07/99 at 10:16 (009533)

I don't know what FM is, but don't get too depressed about your feet yet.

When I was diagnosed, I had had pain for about a year prior and had increased my activity level even more. I woke up one morning and could barely put my feet on the ground. I was holding onto the walls in order to get to the bathroom and could only walk down my steps one at a time as if I were 90 years old. On the pain scale, both of my feet which have pf, were at about a 9. I have had two cortisone shots in one foot and one in the other, I have been to physical therapy, gone through tons of ice, used plenty of ibuprofen (cream and tablets), and changed my form of exercise, and I am here to tell you that it can improve. Today my pain ranges anywhere from a 0-3 depending on the foot and the activities that I have engaged in.

I am no doctor, but this is what I would do if I were you. First, stop all of you activites such as walking, running, aerobics, or anything that is hard impact. Your feet need plenty of rest. Begin icing for about 10 minutes three times a day. Also begin stretching you heels. Look at Scott's document for input here or scroll back to previous post. If you would like I could e-mail you my exercises from physical therapy. If you are taking ibuprophen understand that it can cause ulcers and damage the kidneys if used for a long period of time. I had precription strength which lasted only for a month and then I took over the counter only as needed on the worst days. I did get cortisone shots which were painful, but helped me a lot. They are controversial and some here in this board to not recommed them. For me, it took the pain away and reduced the inflammation so that I could begin physical therapy and merely walk! My doctor was conservative with it and would probably not give me anymore. He was apprehensive about the second shot which I received at the end of physical therapy.

I think ibupro[hen cream has helped me some. I don;t think it would hav been strong enough when I was at my worst, but if you are as clutzy as my family there is always a use for a cream that can reduce inflammation somewhere! I will buy it again.

My last piece of advice I will give you is to find a good doctor. I am CONVICED that a doctor in a sports medicine practice can be among the best for this type of injury because they work with athletes whose careers depend upon getting bacak on the playing field. The physical therapist I went to at my sports medicine practice was excellent!

Good luck. Sarah

Iris on 8/07/99 at 20:22 (009547)

I have been trying to obtain Piroxicam cream but the best I could obtain was made by the pharmacy by crushing a pill and mixing it with an oinment base. Any suggestions where or how my pharmacy can obtain or mix a different form of Piroxicam? Thank you, Iris

Joanne Johnson on 8/07/99 at 23:36 (009560)

This past week I found a new book at the library. It is called 'The Miracle of MSM - the Natural solution for pain. I read it and immediately go some MSM at a regular super shoping center. It is a dietary suppplement and reasonable in cost. After just three day my foot pain and all the other pains in my body are better. I have also found that taping my foot using plain paper non-allergentic tape is a great help for relieving pain while walking. I use tennis shoe that give me good support and a Dr. Sholl insert. I am much better. I did better treating myself then having a Doctor treat me.

Lee on 8/07/99 at 09:02 (009529)

The piroxicam cream really helped me alot. Some insurance does pay for it, mine did with a letter of explanation why I needed it. If they didn't pay I would still buy it. Hopefully it might relieve some of your pain. Good Luck

Sarah on 8/07/99 at 10:16 (009533)

I don't know what FM is, but don't get too depressed about your feet yet.

When I was diagnosed, I had had pain for about a year prior and had increased my activity level even more. I woke up one morning and could barely put my feet on the ground. I was holding onto the walls in order to get to the bathroom and could only walk down my steps one at a time as if I were 90 years old. On the pain scale, both of my feet which have pf, were at about a 9. I have had two cortisone shots in one foot and one in the other, I have been to physical therapy, gone through tons of ice, used plenty of ibuprofen (cream and tablets), and changed my form of exercise, and I am here to tell you that it can improve. Today my pain ranges anywhere from a 0-3 depending on the foot and the activities that I have engaged in.

I am no doctor, but this is what I would do if I were you. First, stop all of you activites such as walking, running, aerobics, or anything that is hard impact. Your feet need plenty of rest. Begin icing for about 10 minutes three times a day. Also begin stretching you heels. Look at Scott's document for input here or scroll back to previous post. If you would like I could e-mail you my exercises from physical therapy. If you are taking ibuprophen understand that it can cause ulcers and damage the kidneys if used for a long period of time. I had precription strength which lasted only for a month and then I took over the counter only as needed on the worst days. I did get cortisone shots which were painful, but helped me a lot. They are controversial and some here in this board to not recommed them. For me, it took the pain away and reduced the inflammation so that I could begin physical therapy and merely walk! My doctor was conservative with it and would probably not give me anymore. He was apprehensive about the second shot which I received at the end of physical therapy.

I think ibupro[hen cream has helped me some. I don;t think it would hav been strong enough when I was at my worst, but if you are as clutzy as my family there is always a use for a cream that can reduce inflammation somewhere! I will buy it again.

My last piece of advice I will give you is to find a good doctor. I am CONVICED that a doctor in a sports medicine practice can be among the best for this type of injury because they work with athletes whose careers depend upon getting bacak on the playing field. The physical therapist I went to at my sports medicine practice was excellent!

Good luck. Sarah

Iris on 8/07/99 at 20:22 (009547)

I have been trying to obtain Piroxicam cream but the best I could obtain was made by the pharmacy by crushing a pill and mixing it with an oinment base. Any suggestions where or how my pharmacy can obtain or mix a different form of Piroxicam? Thank you, Iris

Joanne Johnson on 8/07/99 at 23:36 (009560)

This past week I found a new book at the library. It is called 'The Miracle of MSM - the Natural solution for pain. I read it and immediately go some MSM at a regular super shoping center. It is a dietary suppplement and reasonable in cost. After just three day my foot pain and all the other pains in my body are better. I have also found that taping my foot using plain paper non-allergentic tape is a great help for relieving pain while walking. I use tennis shoe that give me good support and a Dr. Sholl insert. I am much better. I did better treating myself then having a Doctor treat me.