Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Socks?

Posted by Judy Marvin on 8/08/99 at 06:12 (009563)

Having just been diagnosed with PF this past week, I'm wondering if anyone knows of any type of sock/ace bandage that would provide the constant support that taping gives? I find that applying tape around the foot at the arch rather than length wise gives me the best relief from pain. I am so glad I finally found people to relate with! Mostly because now I know I'm not crazy!!! Of couse try to get the boss to believe that! Has anyone else had trouble getting their employer to believe that you are NOT 'just trying to get time off'??
I even tried to explain the amount of pain!! Thanks again for any help/suggestions.

Re: Socks?

vicki on 8/08/99 at 09:35 (009565)

Judy, I am also newly diagnosed and have enjoyed this site since I found it last week. I do not know about socks and can not imagine any that could hold the foot tight enough. I identify with the boss problem though. I just quit, but i am a nurse and it is not hard to find a job and I was not that happy working with a boss that was constantly suspicious of me. If your job is worth keeping maybe you could take the boss some information on PF. Even after living with the pain I was surprised when I began reading up on it. Is your boss one that would take a few monents to read over some materials for your sake. Be choosy about what you take them so that they do not have pages of reading, but will quickly get the idea and maybe go a little easier on you, or maybe become a little more interested and do some reading on their own.

Judy E on 8/08/99 at 12:18 (009574)

Hi Judy; Another Judy here. My poditrist sold me something called (brand name)= PSC by fibriform for Pronation/Spring Control. If you are not already seeing a pod, try a surgical supply store. They have been a god send! They are somewhat like an ace bandage, but much more sophisticated with velcro fastenings and come in sizes and right & left foot. They tend to be a bit hot, but you can take them off at some point and cool off, then put back on if necessary.

I am now into custom orthotics that seem to be helping, but these things are a wonder. Because they fit snug, it helps with swelling due to inflammation. They got me thru the worst of the inflammation and into the orthotics. I will be taking them with me on my vacation this year where I will be flyfishing and moderate hiking in MT>

Good luck!

vicki on 8/08/99 at 09:35 (009565)

Judy, I am also newly diagnosed and have enjoyed this site since I found it last week. I do not know about socks and can not imagine any that could hold the foot tight enough. I identify with the boss problem though. I just quit, but i am a nurse and it is not hard to find a job and I was not that happy working with a boss that was constantly suspicious of me. If your job is worth keeping maybe you could take the boss some information on PF. Even after living with the pain I was surprised when I began reading up on it. Is your boss one that would take a few monents to read over some materials for your sake. Be choosy about what you take them so that they do not have pages of reading, but will quickly get the idea and maybe go a little easier on you, or maybe become a little more interested and do some reading on their own.

Judy E on 8/08/99 at 12:18 (009574)

Hi Judy; Another Judy here. My poditrist sold me something called (brand name)= PSC by fibriform for Pronation/Spring Control. If you are not already seeing a pod, try a surgical supply store. They have been a god send! They are somewhat like an ace bandage, but much more sophisticated with velcro fastenings and come in sizes and right & left foot. They tend to be a bit hot, but you can take them off at some point and cool off, then put back on if necessary.

I am now into custom orthotics that seem to be helping, but these things are a wonder. Because they fit snug, it helps with swelling due to inflammation. They got me thru the worst of the inflammation and into the orthotics. I will be taking them with me on my vacation this year where I will be flyfishing and moderate hiking in MT>

Good luck!