Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Getting new orthotics

Posted by Lori on 8/08/99 at 11:14 (009571)

Over 3 years ago I was fitted for my first pair of orthotics. They made a significant difference in the pain in my feet. I wore them all the time, even put them in my house slippers.
Two weeks ago, I received a new pair which are the 'dress' orthotics that fit in most pairs of shoes, not just the athletic shoes. They are wonderful! They feel much better than the old orthotics. Is it possible that you might have to have orthotics re-done every couple of years or so because your feet keep changing? Maybe there were changes in the shape of my feet since my surgery? Whatever it is, the new orthotics are great!
Lori in AZ

Re: Getting new orthotics

Sarah on 8/08/99 at 16:29 (009577)

I asked about getting a second pair of orthodics because I wanted to keep one pair in my tennis shoes at all times and not have to deal with changing them. The nurse at my drs. office said that she wouldn't do that because each pair fits differently and they didn't want your body to keep adapting to different orthodics. One pair used in all pairs of shoes! I was also told to rplace them once a year and have had my current pair (not quite a year yet) adjusted twice due to normal wear and tear. I noticed my feet feeling much better immeadiately after my last adjustment several weeks ago. It could have been that your three year old orthodics were just plain worn out! I don't know about you, but I get a new pair of tennis shoes every 4-6 months. I imagine the same wear and tear occurs on orthodics that we are told to place in every pair of shoes. Sarah

Dana on 8/08/99 at 22:17 (009582)

I've heard that your feet, nose and ears keep growing as you age. Given that it would make sense that you would outgrow your orthotics. I got a pair made years ago for my then 7 1/2 foot. Now a couple of children and 15 years later my feet are a 8 1/2 size.

john on 8/09/99 at 08:44 (009588)

when i was 21 my shoe size was 8 1/2 D. many years later i now wear a 10 1/2 D.

ANN on 8/09/99 at 11:00 (009591)

What is the difference between dress orthotics and regular orthotics? Did the Doctor make them for you??

Sarah on 8/08/99 at 16:29 (009577)

I asked about getting a second pair of orthodics because I wanted to keep one pair in my tennis shoes at all times and not have to deal with changing them. The nurse at my drs. office said that she wouldn't do that because each pair fits differently and they didn't want your body to keep adapting to different orthodics. One pair used in all pairs of shoes! I was also told to rplace them once a year and have had my current pair (not quite a year yet) adjusted twice due to normal wear and tear. I noticed my feet feeling much better immeadiately after my last adjustment several weeks ago. It could have been that your three year old orthodics were just plain worn out! I don't know about you, but I get a new pair of tennis shoes every 4-6 months. I imagine the same wear and tear occurs on orthodics that we are told to place in every pair of shoes. Sarah

Dana on 8/08/99 at 22:17 (009582)

I've heard that your feet, nose and ears keep growing as you age. Given that it would make sense that you would outgrow your orthotics. I got a pair made years ago for my then 7 1/2 foot. Now a couple of children and 15 years later my feet are a 8 1/2 size.

john on 8/09/99 at 08:44 (009588)

when i was 21 my shoe size was 8 1/2 D. many years later i now wear a 10 1/2 D.

ANN on 8/09/99 at 11:00 (009591)

What is the difference between dress orthotics and regular orthotics? Did the Doctor make them for you??