Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ironman bound

Posted by elizabeth on 8/09/99 at 19:51 (009600)

Hi Hank! I just thought I'd pass on some good news. I had been plagued by PF for 2 yrs. and now I seem to be healed but it hasn't been an easy road. I just completed my 1/2 Ironman qualifying race for my lottery slot for Ironman Hawaii. The half marathon was my longest run this year and my feet felt great afterwards. I think the key to my success has been a combination of treatments: custom soft orthotics (not gel but a semi-rigid orthotic), stretching (I'll describe the key stretch below), and deep tissue massage on my feet and calves to break up all the scar tissue and keep my calves loose. I have a stretching routine that I do EVERY DAY...I spend about 1/2 hr. The key stretch is for the PF itself. Get on your knees and curl your toes under and sit back on your heels. Try to tolerate this position for as long as possible. When I started, I couldn't last more than 5-10 sec...now I can watch TV and do it...normally my toe joints get tired after awhile but not my PF. I also do a lot of calf stretches...I use the ProStretch or StepStretch...it really helps with stretch your soleus...no other way to get deep enough to it, at least for me. The deep tissue work was also very important...my feet had so much scar tissue they were 'crunchy' when a masseuse got in there. That's no longer the case. I went weekly to a sports massage...expensive but worth it. Now my golf ball takes care of all the deep tissue work but I still see my masseuse for calf work. I had tried all of these things before but not all at once. You really have to attack the problem AND stick to the therapy even once you think you're healed. I still use my golf ball daily and do my stretches. I was also very careful when I went back to running...only increase mileage by 10%/week. I had some other weird aches and pains in my feet and calves but they turned out to be nothing. Also, for those cyclists out there make sure you are keeping your heel down throughout you pedal stroke. I wasn't and that was definitely contributing to my calf tightness/PF. I switched to a road bike (vs. tri bike) and that helped me re-learn my pedal stroke. That's all for now. Good luck!

Re: Ironman bound - Triathlons are the answer

Paul on 8/10/99 at 06:01 (009606)

Hi Elizabeth. Congrats on your qualifying for the big one. I have found since I've had PF (8 months) that my most comfortable runs are those after the swim/bike. I've done, 3 Olympic Distances this summer and each 10 K at the end have been pain free. I mean no pain at all. Yet when I do my training runs I feel something. I think it has to do with being totally warmed up. Mornings are still a problem but I just use a mag roller to lossen them up before I get out of bed and then wear my mag inserts all day. It's working for me. Of course I stretch, ice and all the other good stuff. Good luck on the Big Island. I'm jealous. An ironman distance is an incredible accomplishment. Good luck and let's us know how you do.

Paul

Re: Ironman bound

Hank on 8/10/99 at 13:22 (009614)

Elizabeth,
Most excellent! Good to hear from you again! When is the ironman
date this year? After the ironman I want to see you at Sydney next
summer. I'll try that stretch but I am a little leery that it may
aggravate the PF. The 'Downward Dog' Yoga position caused me a some grief. Keep me posted on your progress and thanks so much for the encouragement.
best regards, Hank (hankc@vnet.ibm.com)

Roberta on 8/10/99 at 17:51 (009617)

Hank, that's interesting. When my PF was bad, downward dog was the only way I could stretch my calfs (calves?) without hurting my foot. But otherwise doing yoga was tough. I just was able to start again. Yahoo.

I can't wait to try Elizabeth's stretch, sitting on your heels. In fact I am at work now and feel like popping down on the floor and trying it right now. Good luck on the ironman. I used to be a runner, and now (after this foot thing) I seem to be becoming I biker. Next year, I hope to be injury free enough to train for something serious. I can't wait.

Re: Ironman bound - Triathlons are the answer

Paul on 8/10/99 at 06:01 (009606)

Hi Elizabeth. Congrats on your qualifying for the big one. I have found since I've had PF (8 months) that my most comfortable runs are those after the swim/bike. I've done, 3 Olympic Distances this summer and each 10 K at the end have been pain free. I mean no pain at all. Yet when I do my training runs I feel something. I think it has to do with being totally warmed up. Mornings are still a problem but I just use a mag roller to lossen them up before I get out of bed and then wear my mag inserts all day. It's working for me. Of course I stretch, ice and all the other good stuff. Good luck on the Big Island. I'm jealous. An ironman distance is an incredible accomplishment. Good luck and let's us know how you do.

Paul

Hank on 8/10/99 at 13:22 (009614)

Elizabeth,
Most excellent! Good to hear from you again! When is the ironman
date this year? After the ironman I want to see you at Sydney next
summer. I'll try that stretch but I am a little leery that it may
aggravate the PF. The 'Downward Dog' Yoga position caused me a some grief. Keep me posted on your progress and thanks so much for the encouragement.
best regards, Hank (hankc@vnet.ibm.com)

Roberta on 8/10/99 at 17:51 (009617)

Hank, that's interesting. When my PF was bad, downward dog was the only way I could stretch my calfs (calves?) without hurting my foot. But otherwise doing yoga was tough. I just was able to start again. Yahoo.

I can't wait to try Elizabeth's stretch, sitting on your heels. In fact I am at work now and feel like popping down on the floor and trying it right now. Good luck on the ironman. I used to be a runner, and now (after this foot thing) I seem to be becoming I biker. Next year, I hope to be injury free enough to train for something serious. I can't wait.