Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Have any of you runner types tried a low carb diet (not for the weight, just the pain) ?

Posted by Gordon on 8/10/99 at 17:47 (009616)

???

Re: Have any of you runner types tried a low carb diet (not for the weight, just the pain) ?

Roberta on 8/10/99 at 18:32 (009619)

Hey Gordon, you know me and my story. I would say that 'low carbo' is pretty much a bad word for most runners. I do feel that most of them would do well laying off the pasta/bagels etc. I know for most of my running career (I use the word career losely) I was happy to eat as many bagels, pasta, bread etc as I could stuff in my little face. then of course when you are training for a marathon you don't worry much about what you eat and thus any sugar, junk food is fair game. In fact if you read running magazines, most of them are happy to prescribe lots of pasta for most meals. I don't think necessarily low carb is the right idea. I think carbohydrates are very important for recovery. However, now I have a very different idea about what carbohydrates are acceptable. Reducing the amounts of sugar and white flour I eat has done wonders for my energy levels and my running. When I run after eating sugar my heart rate soars.

And if I haven't already said enough and hopefully without contradicting myself, let me mention I do feel that protein is very important for runners. Many of the women (also vegetarian) runners I know DO NOT get nearly enough protein. Myself included. I feel one of the reasons I got PF was lack of protein, my connective tissues weren't strong enough because they weren't getting appropriate nutrition. So in summary, I would advise runners to rethink the carbs they eat and make sure to get plenty of good quality protein. I usually recommend worrying about grams of protein (.6-.8 per lb body weight) and not worrying so much about percentages of protein /vs carbs. Instead worry about eating good quality carbs.

Re: Have any of you runner types tried a low carb diet (not for the weight, just the pain) ?

Roberta on 8/10/99 at 18:32 (009619)

Hey Gordon, you know me and my story. I would say that 'low carbo' is pretty much a bad word for most runners. I do feel that most of them would do well laying off the pasta/bagels etc. I know for most of my running career (I use the word career losely) I was happy to eat as many bagels, pasta, bread etc as I could stuff in my little face. then of course when you are training for a marathon you don't worry much about what you eat and thus any sugar, junk food is fair game. In fact if you read running magazines, most of them are happy to prescribe lots of pasta for most meals. I don't think necessarily low carb is the right idea. I think carbohydrates are very important for recovery. However, now I have a very different idea about what carbohydrates are acceptable. Reducing the amounts of sugar and white flour I eat has done wonders for my energy levels and my running. When I run after eating sugar my heart rate soars.

And if I haven't already said enough and hopefully without contradicting myself, let me mention I do feel that protein is very important for runners. Many of the women (also vegetarian) runners I know DO NOT get nearly enough protein. Myself included. I feel one of the reasons I got PF was lack of protein, my connective tissues weren't strong enough because they weren't getting appropriate nutrition. So in summary, I would advise runners to rethink the carbs they eat and make sure to get plenty of good quality protein. I usually recommend worrying about grams of protein (.6-.8 per lb body weight) and not worrying so much about percentages of protein /vs carbs. Instead worry about eating good quality carbs.