Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Toe Involvement

Posted by Nancy T. on 8/11/99 at 14:17 (009639)

I have just been diagnosed with PF in both feet, one foot somewhat worse than the other. Has anyone had involvement with their toes associated with PF? Once I relax at nighttime, my large toe seems to have some sort of muscle contraction occasionally, as well as a smaller toe on the opposite foot? I am anxious to know if this is part of PF. Misery sure loves company, and I am happy to see such a wonderful outlet for this miserable condition!!

Re: Toe Involvement

Wanda on 8/11/99 at 18:43 (009644)

Late in the afternoon my calves get so tight although I have been streching off and on all day, at times they feel like you could just cut them into, and then my little toe goes numb and stays that way for awhile till I forget about it, but it is very annoning.

Nancy T. on 8/11/99 at 20:54 (009649)

Just came from chiropractor, who states that this is all part of PF. Also told me that I WILL get over it, which is encouraging. I also have lower back problems from a car accident 3 years ago, and am just getting over sciatica. PF started at end of sciatica. Its been fun!!
Anyhow, thanks for letting me know that you also have toe involvement. The body is an interesting thing, isn't it?:)The toe numbness and contractions are fleeting, thankfully.

Nancy on 8/12/99 at 09:15 (009657)

I have hallux limitus in both great toes which appeared about the same time the PF began. the hallux limitus is basically arthritis in the second joint of the big toe which prevents it from flexing upward in a normal manner without pain. it also prevents the fascia from stretching (in my mind) when you walk or run. I am having surgery to correct this on the 24th of this month. the joint is cleaned out a wedge of bone removed to allow the toe to flex normally. this is a common condition in runners, ballet dancer, women in general. whether this will help my pf or not i do not know but it can be a very painful condition in and of itself. still contiplating a PF release or Tarsal Tunnel release at the same time depending on what my doctor says about a compressed nerve in the tarsal tunnel. Personally i have to believe the big toe problem is associated with my pf as it caused me to change the way i landed and pushed off on my feet when walking or running.

Nancy T. on 8/12/99 at 10:02 (009661)

Hi Nancy: Thanks for your reply. Maybe this toe thing is just common among Nancys....:)! I wish you the best on the 24th. Please let me know how you are doing. This operation sounds like it should do the trick for you. It stands to reason that the great toe would indeed pull on the fascia. It may help greatly with your PF. Do you have much pain associated with your toe? At this point, mine just seems to have muscle contractions of some type, although not often, thankfully. Again, please let me know how you are doing. Well worth the try, I think.

John on 8/12/99 at 11:34 (009665)

Nancy: john made the post. if you have hallux limitus it is easily identified on x-ray. you will have a prominent bump on top of the second joint of the big toe and off and on pain in the joint of the toe which can be bad. it is in the same joint that bunions occur.

Nancy T. on 8/12/99 at 21:48 (009684)

John: Is this an arthritic condition of some type, and can it be absolutely associated with PF? Thanks for answering...right now, education is my best weapon against this horrible malady!

john on 8/13/99 at 09:50 (009700)

yes it is an arthritic condition and is so common they give it a name 'hallux limitus' where some flexion of big toe is available and 'hallux rigidus' where there is virtually no flexion. I have only arthrits in theses two grest toes 2nd joint. It is common to runners, women,dancers. If there is not to much of the cartlidge destroyed the doctor can scrape the joint out and cut off a wedge of one of the bones so the joint will hinge better and have full or nearly full movement. some doctors will put in an artifical joint but in time they will have to be replaced. for people who are not very active they fuse the joint. a lady i know had the fusion done last year on both feet and she is doing well. it is an outpatien procedure. one foot at a time. 30-40 minutes. no doctor has ever told me it can cause or is associated with PF but if you cannot flex the big toe and it is painful you 'WILL' change the way you walk to adjust for pain. additionally you cannot stretch the fascia as well since the big toe will not flex upward. i find it more than accidental that my pf(if that is what it is) started about the same time i started having the hallux limitus. there is no missing a diagnosis of hallux limitus as it clearly shows on an x-ray. both ortho's and poditrist rountinely do this procedure.

Wanda on 8/11/99 at 18:43 (009644)

Late in the afternoon my calves get so tight although I have been streching off and on all day, at times they feel like you could just cut them into, and then my little toe goes numb and stays that way for awhile till I forget about it, but it is very annoning.

Nancy T. on 8/11/99 at 20:54 (009649)

Just came from chiropractor, who states that this is all part of PF. Also told me that I WILL get over it, which is encouraging. I also have lower back problems from a car accident 3 years ago, and am just getting over sciatica. PF started at end of sciatica. Its been fun!!
Anyhow, thanks for letting me know that you also have toe involvement. The body is an interesting thing, isn't it?:)The toe numbness and contractions are fleeting, thankfully.

Nancy on 8/12/99 at 09:15 (009657)

I have hallux limitus in both great toes which appeared about the same time the PF began. the hallux limitus is basically arthritis in the second joint of the big toe which prevents it from flexing upward in a normal manner without pain. it also prevents the fascia from stretching (in my mind) when you walk or run. I am having surgery to correct this on the 24th of this month. the joint is cleaned out a wedge of bone removed to allow the toe to flex normally. this is a common condition in runners, ballet dancer, women in general. whether this will help my pf or not i do not know but it can be a very painful condition in and of itself. still contiplating a PF release or Tarsal Tunnel release at the same time depending on what my doctor says about a compressed nerve in the tarsal tunnel. Personally i have to believe the big toe problem is associated with my pf as it caused me to change the way i landed and pushed off on my feet when walking or running.

Nancy T. on 8/12/99 at 10:02 (009661)

Hi Nancy: Thanks for your reply. Maybe this toe thing is just common among Nancys....:)! I wish you the best on the 24th. Please let me know how you are doing. This operation sounds like it should do the trick for you. It stands to reason that the great toe would indeed pull on the fascia. It may help greatly with your PF. Do you have much pain associated with your toe? At this point, mine just seems to have muscle contractions of some type, although not often, thankfully. Again, please let me know how you are doing. Well worth the try, I think.

John on 8/12/99 at 11:34 (009665)

Nancy: john made the post. if you have hallux limitus it is easily identified on x-ray. you will have a prominent bump on top of the second joint of the big toe and off and on pain in the joint of the toe which can be bad. it is in the same joint that bunions occur.

Nancy T. on 8/12/99 at 21:48 (009684)

John: Is this an arthritic condition of some type, and can it be absolutely associated with PF? Thanks for answering...right now, education is my best weapon against this horrible malady!

john on 8/13/99 at 09:50 (009700)

yes it is an arthritic condition and is so common they give it a name 'hallux limitus' where some flexion of big toe is available and 'hallux rigidus' where there is virtually no flexion. I have only arthrits in theses two grest toes 2nd joint. It is common to runners, women,dancers. If there is not to much of the cartlidge destroyed the doctor can scrape the joint out and cut off a wedge of one of the bones so the joint will hinge better and have full or nearly full movement. some doctors will put in an artifical joint but in time they will have to be replaced. for people who are not very active they fuse the joint. a lady i know had the fusion done last year on both feet and she is doing well. it is an outpatien procedure. one foot at a time. 30-40 minutes. no doctor has ever told me it can cause or is associated with PF but if you cannot flex the big toe and it is painful you 'WILL' change the way you walk to adjust for pain. additionally you cannot stretch the fascia as well since the big toe will not flex upward. i find it more than accidental that my pf(if that is what it is) started about the same time i started having the hallux limitus. there is no missing a diagnosis of hallux limitus as it clearly shows on an x-ray. both ortho's and poditrist rountinely do this procedure.