Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Try non-weight bearing stretching only

Posted by Sandra Z on 8/12/99 at 03:07 (009654)

Judy: I assume by 'runner's stretch' you mean the one where you lean forward against a wall with one foot behind you. This is a weight bearing stretch--your entire body weight pressing down on your stressed and delicate plantar fascia. When I was in severe pain (and doing that stretch!) I went to a sports medicine physical therapist who said that stretch, even done 'gently,' was too agressive when the pf is severely inflammed. She had me do only non-weight bearing stret ching--for the first week I merely pointed and flexed my toes while sitting and drew circles and wrote the alphabet in the air. The next week I progressed to stretching while sitting on the floor with my legs in a V. The following week I used a belt to pull my toes toward my body while sitting like this. After about a month I began doing the runner's stretch--I've since progressed to stretching with my heels hanging down a stair and I'm much, much better! Hope this helps you!

Re: Try non-weight bearing stretching only

Judy on 8/12/99 at 20:43 (009681)

Thanks so much for all the information. I am going to print this and follow your steps week by week. Thanks again.

Re: Try non-weight bearing stretching only

Judy on 8/12/99 at 20:43 (009681)

Thanks so much for all the information. I am going to print this and follow your steps week by week. Thanks again.