Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Who are the best Dr.'s in the USA for PF surgery

Posted by Steve Weiss on 8/13/99 at 10:42 (009707)

I have tried everything and am a 10 year sufferer. I want the best. If I'm going to get cut I want the best Dr. in the USA, who has the most experience. Price is of no object. Who would you let cut you open?

Re: Who are the best Dr.'s in the USA for PF surgery

john on 8/13/99 at 10:59 (009709)

Dr. Baxter in Houston seems to be one the Gurus of PF surgery. I think he is mentioned in the Wheeless Orthopedic Manual. He trained a couple of surgeons I know here in Little Rock who both have Fellowships in foot and ankle surgery. I think one of the procedures used in PF Surgery (The Baxter Procedure) was named after him. I think he may have done PF surgery on Carl Lewis the world champion sprinter. I have complete confidence in my surgeon who trained under him but the problem as I see it is PF clearly the problem. I am having surgery on my toe on the 24th and my doctor has said it is my call on the PF surgery as he cannot guarantee that a release will cure the problem. I also have a diagnosed TTS which enters into the equation. My doctor is still on vacation and has not seen the results of my tarsal tunnel test so I do not yet know what he will think when he reads them. After 7 years I can see myself making a decision for a tarsal tunnel procedure, a pf release, or none of the above as i roll into the surgery room on the 24th. as all this has sure dorked up my life style i suspect i will opt for something.the baxter procedure as i understant it is that about a 1' wedge of fascia is removed jut forward of your heel. this wedge is located directly over a nerve which may be causing the pain. the wedge removal also reduces tension on the fascia. it is an open procedure.from all i have read i would opt for the open procedure because the surgeon has a better look at the nerve bundle and there is less likely hood of making a wrong cut. recovery time is longer is a downside.

Nancy M on 8/13/99 at 23:23 (009733)

I'm in Arizona (Phoenix) and have had surgery 4 times on my feet. EPF on each foot and neuroma's in each foot, 1 in the right, 2 in the left and of course they were at different times. The first three were successful with no pain now in my heels or from the first neuroma surgery. My latest surgery (neuroma) was both feet 3 weeks ago yesterday and all is going well, still a little sore, but feeling better and better each day. My doctor is Dr. Charles Connell. I have no problem with him cutting me!

Nancy in AZ

Stephanie on 8/14/99 at 13:14 (009749)

I had a 40% pf done on June 25. I also, had nerve entrapment of the first branch. My Dr. decompressed these. Dr. Acevedo was finishing his fellowship in Baltimore. He was great, my foot is coming around slowly, however, I'm walking for 11/2 weeks now with no crutch. I still have pain, but it is definitly a different pain, just scar tissue breaking up. I'm taking it slow as I don't ever want to deal with pf again. My Dr. moved to Florida, West Palm Beach. I would do it again. As I think it was a success.

john on 8/16/99 at 12:19 (009801)

stephanie: how did you adjust to crutches? since i will be on them starting a week for tuesday i guess i had better get some practice in.

john on 8/13/99 at 10:59 (009709)

Dr. Baxter in Houston seems to be one the Gurus of PF surgery. I think he is mentioned in the Wheeless Orthopedic Manual. He trained a couple of surgeons I know here in Little Rock who both have Fellowships in foot and ankle surgery. I think one of the procedures used in PF Surgery (The Baxter Procedure) was named after him. I think he may have done PF surgery on Carl Lewis the world champion sprinter. I have complete confidence in my surgeon who trained under him but the problem as I see it is PF clearly the problem. I am having surgery on my toe on the 24th and my doctor has said it is my call on the PF surgery as he cannot guarantee that a release will cure the problem. I also have a diagnosed TTS which enters into the equation. My doctor is still on vacation and has not seen the results of my tarsal tunnel test so I do not yet know what he will think when he reads them. After 7 years I can see myself making a decision for a tarsal tunnel procedure, a pf release, or none of the above as i roll into the surgery room on the 24th. as all this has sure dorked up my life style i suspect i will opt for something.the baxter procedure as i understant it is that about a 1' wedge of fascia is removed jut forward of your heel. this wedge is located directly over a nerve which may be causing the pain. the wedge removal also reduces tension on the fascia. it is an open procedure.from all i have read i would opt for the open procedure because the surgeon has a better look at the nerve bundle and there is less likely hood of making a wrong cut. recovery time is longer is a downside.

Nancy M on 8/13/99 at 23:23 (009733)

I'm in Arizona (Phoenix) and have had surgery 4 times on my feet. EPF on each foot and neuroma's in each foot, 1 in the right, 2 in the left and of course they were at different times. The first three were successful with no pain now in my heels or from the first neuroma surgery. My latest surgery (neuroma) was both feet 3 weeks ago yesterday and all is going well, still a little sore, but feeling better and better each day. My doctor is Dr. Charles Connell. I have no problem with him cutting me!

Nancy in AZ

Stephanie on 8/14/99 at 13:14 (009749)

I had a 40% pf done on June 25. I also, had nerve entrapment of the first branch. My Dr. decompressed these. Dr. Acevedo was finishing his fellowship in Baltimore. He was great, my foot is coming around slowly, however, I'm walking for 11/2 weeks now with no crutch. I still have pain, but it is definitly a different pain, just scar tissue breaking up. I'm taking it slow as I don't ever want to deal with pf again. My Dr. moved to Florida, West Palm Beach. I would do it again. As I think it was a success.

john on 8/16/99 at 12:19 (009801)

stephanie: how did you adjust to crutches? since i will be on them starting a week for tuesday i guess i had better get some practice in.