Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sciatica and PF

Posted by Nancy T. on 8/13/99 at 18:45 (009720)

My bout with PF started as I was finishing treatment by a chiro for Sciatica. Has anyone been able to tie in sciatica with PF?

Re: Sciatica and PF

wendy2 on 8/13/99 at 21:21 (009728)

Haven't heard of sciatica related to PF, but I had testing done today for TTS - both feet are positive. I asked the tech about sciatica and he said that it can definately be related to TTS.

Sandra Z on 8/13/99 at 22:43 (009732)

Sciatic pain can cause you to change your walk, to compensate for the pain. If you walk out-of-whack, something is almost bound to get strained. My PF occurred after I had back surgery for a ruptured disk--I had such terrible sciatic pain with the disk injury that I couldn't sit for more than a few minutes. This pain lasted for months until I had the surgery and my tendons in my hamstrings and calves tightened up. Then when my back was fixed and I began exercising again, I hurt my heel since my hamstrings and calves (which are connected to the pf) were so tight. This is why we need doctors to fix the whole body, not just one symptom or problem at a time!

Lee on 8/14/99 at 08:03 (009737)

I had sciatica pain after onset of PF. I stand all day and was shifting my weight to my left side and thats what probably caused it. So my right foot hurt so bad I could barely stand, and my left hip hurt so bad I could hardly sit. I saw my chiro for sciatica pain. Just a few visits cured it. There are some at home stretching exercises that really helped me with the sciatica problems, ask your Dr.

Alicia on 8/14/99 at 09:55 (009744)

I am convinced that the whole body is involved when PF or Tarsal Tunnel or any related condition is diagnosed. I have been to a physical therapist who specializes in myofascial release therapy. It was one of the only things that gave me some relief and made sense. As necks and backs get out of alignment or strained, muscles and fascia tighten. Hamstrings and calf muscles and then plantar fascia tighten up, too. It's all related. I do lots of stretching before I even get out of bed and at different times during the day. It is not curing my problem, but helps. These conditions need to be treated holistically - diet, immune system, body alignment, stress management.

Nancy T. on 8/14/99 at 15:31 (009750)

Hi Sandra: Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I was hit while driving ,broadside ,to the drivers side door three years ago. I had a twisted pelvis, SI joint was out, and many torn and strained tendons. It took me 5 1/2 months of physical therapy to be put back together again. I have had on/off lower back problems since then, most tolerable, until this sciatica episode around June 1st. The sciatica was on my right side, and ran from lower back, down back of leg and into foot and big toe. After 5 weeks of chiro treatment, all pain was gone, except for pain in right heel. Two weeks later, that was diagnosed as PF in the right foot. Then two days later, the left foot began with PF. I am absolutely, positively convinced that PF was a direct result of how I was walking due to the sciatica. (At one point, I couldn't walk at all!). Five weeks of completely out of wack walking would, I think, definitely do it. It is odd that the sciatic and PF came so closely together...cannot see why it wouldn't be connected. Scitica probably came on due to lower back.

wendy2 on 8/13/99 at 21:21 (009728)

Haven't heard of sciatica related to PF, but I had testing done today for TTS - both feet are positive. I asked the tech about sciatica and he said that it can definately be related to TTS.

Sandra Z on 8/13/99 at 22:43 (009732)

Sciatic pain can cause you to change your walk, to compensate for the pain. If you walk out-of-whack, something is almost bound to get strained. My PF occurred after I had back surgery for a ruptured disk--I had such terrible sciatic pain with the disk injury that I couldn't sit for more than a few minutes. This pain lasted for months until I had the surgery and my tendons in my hamstrings and calves tightened up. Then when my back was fixed and I began exercising again, I hurt my heel since my hamstrings and calves (which are connected to the pf) were so tight. This is why we need doctors to fix the whole body, not just one symptom or problem at a time!

Lee on 8/14/99 at 08:03 (009737)

I had sciatica pain after onset of PF. I stand all day and was shifting my weight to my left side and thats what probably caused it. So my right foot hurt so bad I could barely stand, and my left hip hurt so bad I could hardly sit. I saw my chiro for sciatica pain. Just a few visits cured it. There are some at home stretching exercises that really helped me with the sciatica problems, ask your Dr.

Alicia on 8/14/99 at 09:55 (009744)

I am convinced that the whole body is involved when PF or Tarsal Tunnel or any related condition is diagnosed. I have been to a physical therapist who specializes in myofascial release therapy. It was one of the only things that gave me some relief and made sense. As necks and backs get out of alignment or strained, muscles and fascia tighten. Hamstrings and calf muscles and then plantar fascia tighten up, too. It's all related. I do lots of stretching before I even get out of bed and at different times during the day. It is not curing my problem, but helps. These conditions need to be treated holistically - diet, immune system, body alignment, stress management.

Nancy T. on 8/14/99 at 15:31 (009750)

Hi Sandra: Thanks for the reply. Interesting. I was hit while driving ,broadside ,to the drivers side door three years ago. I had a twisted pelvis, SI joint was out, and many torn and strained tendons. It took me 5 1/2 months of physical therapy to be put back together again. I have had on/off lower back problems since then, most tolerable, until this sciatica episode around June 1st. The sciatica was on my right side, and ran from lower back, down back of leg and into foot and big toe. After 5 weeks of chiro treatment, all pain was gone, except for pain in right heel. Two weeks later, that was diagnosed as PF in the right foot. Then two days later, the left foot began with PF. I am absolutely, positively convinced that PF was a direct result of how I was walking due to the sciatica. (At one point, I couldn't walk at all!). Five weeks of completely out of wack walking would, I think, definitely do it. It is odd that the sciatic and PF came so closely together...cannot see why it wouldn't be connected. Scitica probably came on due to lower back.