Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Back problems and PF

Posted by Lori on 8/13/99 at 20:44 (009723)

Nancy, I've had PF for over 10 years. I've also had severe problems with my lower back and sharp pains running down my leg. The more pain in my foot, the worse the back pain was. I believe it's the way we are walking to compensate or deal with the pain.
Lori in AZ

Re: Back problems and PF

John on 8/14/99 at 09:31 (009742)

the mind body connection can sure be at work. if your foot hurts you become tense and your muscle tighten including and especially your back muscles. this is a perfect prescription for pain in the low back, if your are prone to this. i had low back surgery 20 years ago and have always had some low back pain. the problems with the feet begin many years later and i am confident begin because of extended running up and down hills.

Nancy T. on 8/14/99 at 15:39 (009751)

John: Do you think that the PF came from your lower back problems rather than the running? That seems to be what is happening to me. My husband is a runner, and came in Thursday with Achiles Tendonitis, also from running up and down hills. (Now we are both limping...what a pair!)We are going through ice like no tomorrow! I do know one thing...I am a walker..have walked three or four times a week for over and hour at a time to keep my back strong..Now that I cannot walk, my back definitely feels alot weaker, and I have to keep an eye on it. Its all related, for sure, but if we could just find out how......
Thanks for the reply

John on 8/14/99 at 09:31 (009742)

the mind body connection can sure be at work. if your foot hurts you become tense and your muscle tighten including and especially your back muscles. this is a perfect prescription for pain in the low back, if your are prone to this. i had low back surgery 20 years ago and have always had some low back pain. the problems with the feet begin many years later and i am confident begin because of extended running up and down hills.

Nancy T. on 8/14/99 at 15:39 (009751)

John: Do you think that the PF came from your lower back problems rather than the running? That seems to be what is happening to me. My husband is a runner, and came in Thursday with Achiles Tendonitis, also from running up and down hills. (Now we are both limping...what a pair!)We are going through ice like no tomorrow! I do know one thing...I am a walker..have walked three or four times a week for over and hour at a time to keep my back strong..Now that I cannot walk, my back definitely feels alot weaker, and I have to keep an eye on it. Its all related, for sure, but if we could just find out how......
Thanks for the reply