Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Breakthrough with stretching!

Posted by Letty on 8/15/99 at 14:58 (009780)

As some of you know I have posted before that I have tried everything for my 2 yr. bout with PF except surgery! I had given up with no hope of regaining an active lifestyle.

Well, this week I visited an orthopedist for a problem in my hand and he told me I may not be stretching enough. He told me to do the wall stretch with extended leg and with bent leg for a total of up to 5 minutes per day(about 10 sessions of 30 seconds held, no bouncing). He has achilles tendonitis and a brother with PF and they have discovered stretching has helped them. So I had been stretching but not long enough or consistent enough. The next day I thought why not try it. I stretched each leg for 30 seconds and did about 6-7 repetitions during the day trying to work up to a total of 10 sessions or so a day. The next morning I had 'no pain' on arising at all and little pain in my foot throughout the day. Two days later I got some new firm orthotics and between them and the stretching, I have some sore spots in the muscles being stretched but no heel pain at all. So for some of us the key may be stretching those calf muscles and alot. I am not sure why stretching those muscles would relieve my foot pain but it has. Perhaps Scott or someone on the board can explain it. I will keep up the regimen and let you all know how it goes. I am always skeptical!

Re: Breakthrough with stretching!

pete on 8/15/99 at 21:26 (009784)

stretching works since it loosens up the achilles and calves...when this is done, the ankle is allow to dorsiflex more adequeately when you walk. When you have adequate ankle dorsiflexion, there's no stress on the bottom of your foot. However, if you ankle isn't dorsiflexing enough when you walk (dorsiflex=bring the foot up towards you...as apposed to pointing the toes downward) you get alot of stress put on the bottom of your foot when you walk. Think of it this way...if your ankle was fused solidly in place at a 90 degree angle and wasn't mobile at all (no dorsiflexion), the bottom of your foot (plantar fasciia) would get stretched and take alot of stress, and thus become inflamed, causing plantar fasciitis. Anyway, glad to hear someone's doing better! I'm trying more stretching myself...hopefully it will work!

karen on 8/17/99 at 17:27 (009832)

My podiatrist has me stretching an hour a day...I do 20 min. 3 times a day.. is that too much?

Nancy T. on 8/17/99 at 21:03 (009835)

Hi Letty: I am newly diagnosed with PF (about 6 weeks), and these are the same stretching excises given me by a Physical Therapist, altho his recommedation was to do to to a count of 10 (one-thousand one, one-thousand two, etc..)2 or 3X daily. Then if all goes well, go into strengthening exercises (pulling a towel towards you with toes, standing on one leg and rising on toes, etc.) after 4 weeks. I have increased my stretching to 30 seconds each as you suggested starting yesterday (am up to 6 sets), and will let you know if I am lucky enough to have any results. I am happy for you after all of this time that things have improved. Keep up the good work!!

Nancy T. on 8/19/99 at 17:21 (009930)

Letty: Just wondering how you are doing on stretching..I have seen a definite improvement by increasing stretching time..there is something to that....still no pain?

pete on 8/15/99 at 21:26 (009784)

stretching works since it loosens up the achilles and calves...when this is done, the ankle is allow to dorsiflex more adequeately when you walk. When you have adequate ankle dorsiflexion, there's no stress on the bottom of your foot. However, if you ankle isn't dorsiflexing enough when you walk (dorsiflex=bring the foot up towards you...as apposed to pointing the toes downward) you get alot of stress put on the bottom of your foot when you walk. Think of it this way...if your ankle was fused solidly in place at a 90 degree angle and wasn't mobile at all (no dorsiflexion), the bottom of your foot (plantar fasciia) would get stretched and take alot of stress, and thus become inflamed, causing plantar fasciitis. Anyway, glad to hear someone's doing better! I'm trying more stretching myself...hopefully it will work!

karen on 8/17/99 at 17:27 (009832)

My podiatrist has me stretching an hour a day...I do 20 min. 3 times a day.. is that too much?

Nancy T. on 8/17/99 at 21:03 (009835)

Hi Letty: I am newly diagnosed with PF (about 6 weeks), and these are the same stretching excises given me by a Physical Therapist, altho his recommedation was to do to to a count of 10 (one-thousand one, one-thousand two, etc..)2 or 3X daily. Then if all goes well, go into strengthening exercises (pulling a towel towards you with toes, standing on one leg and rising on toes, etc.) after 4 weeks. I have increased my stretching to 30 seconds each as you suggested starting yesterday (am up to 6 sets), and will let you know if I am lucky enough to have any results. I am happy for you after all of this time that things have improved. Keep up the good work!!

Nancy T. on 8/19/99 at 17:21 (009930)

Letty: Just wondering how you are doing on stretching..I have seen a definite improvement by increasing stretching time..there is something to that....still no pain?